Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Jun 7, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
If this happened i would seriously fucking burn my sony products, renounce my console ways and become a PC gam- haha nah, i'd just get an xbox.
LOL, you would get the console that is already overrun with ads. You really think next gen they are going to have less ads?
Good point, well i'm certainly not getting any nintendo crap so... Well, looks like i'll just have to find something better to do.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
If prices become almost negligible for games and the commercials are, say, during genuine loading screens that's okay I guess. But stopping the experience so companies can plug their rubbish, no way!

Griever

Sleeping Lionheart
Mar 30, 2012
So, because this is going to be built into the hardware it seems like there will be no mitigating factors as to when the adverts will actually appear? Looks like a whole new multiplayer experience is inbound...hey man you lagging? Nah, it's a goddamn advert...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
If this happened i would seriously fucking burn my sony products, renounce my console ways and become a PC gam- haha nah, i'd just get an xbox.
LOL, you would get the console that is already overrun with ads. You really think next gen they are going to have less ads?
Good point, well i'm certainly not getting any nintendo crap so... Well, looks like i'll just have to find something better to do.
Sad but true. This is the harm that comes from gaming getting too mainstream and it needs to be brought down a few notches.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
EclipseoftheDarkSun said:
If prices become almost negligible for games and the commercials are, say, during genuine loading screens that's okay I guess. But stopping the experience so companies can plug their rubbish, no way!
You'll just see longer loading screens because longer ads = more money.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
If they actually do put an advertisement for some shitty product in while i'm zooming down my sniper scope aligning that perfect shot when suddenly the screen goes black and some cleaning product pops up screaming 'BUY ME!! NAOW!!' - What will happen is I'll rage at Sony, I'll rage at the game for doing this (even though it's not its fault)and I'll most definitively rage at the add, vowing I'll never buy that piece of crap that thought it was so important to annoy the hell out of me while I'm having fun. Come on, you don't put adds right inside an action scene from a good movie do you? Bruce Willis going 'Yippie Ka Y--" BUY THIS ORANGE SODA! IT HAS 0% SUGAR!!!" "yeeee mother fucker"

Yeah, I don't see this happening.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
People! we dont know enough yet for all we care it will just be the F2P games which sony is probably opening the door for as we speak.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
AndrewC said:
Wow, I mean, I know Sony are stupid but are they really that thick?

If this goes ahead they can say goodbye to their consu- HEY TRY NEW GENERIC COLA 9999 CENTS- mer base.
Considering your avatar is also an xbox 360 avatar (which I'm assuming is yours) your opinion on anything Sony related is invalidated due to an obvious pre-existing bias. No matter HOW correct you happen to be.
I actually prefer PC gaming, it's just ye olde avatar :p

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Just because they have a patent doesn't mean that they are going to implement it any time soon.
They have filed plenty of patents over the past years, only a portion of which has been implemented.

Looking on the bright side of life, I believe that this system will be used in free to play content on the PSN, like with apps on the Android platform for example;
You have a paid and free version, the free version has ads but the paid doesn't.

This would certainly be a good move for Sony, as proven with android, a lot of revenue can be generated if you offer games for free with ads in them!

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Okay, when I said I didn't mind ads in my games, that's not what I had in mind. Game immersion is going to suffer for this. Big time. Can't we just play games in peace!?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This hurts. What I would like to see next gen? A three disc changer. I don't like getting up to switch from Rune Factory to Red Faction.

But ads man....that just hurts.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Funny adverts in loading screens seems like a good idea, fun for me and extra cash for the makers. However if you interrupt my actual gaming with ads, I will be taking the game and console back and demanding a full refund.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
The only in-game advertising I'm willing to put up with is when they stick a billboard up somewhere or a radio ad plays in-game. That I can deal with. But actively stopping me from playing? Aw hell naw.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
yeah, as others have said i can stand some product placement or even a add before...but during a game, no that's not where you put an add if you want me to buy your product.

interrupting a game i am currently playing for an add will get me to start a list of companies and products to never buy and write an email to in the hopes they will pull their add so i have fewer interruptions

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
Crono1973 said:
EclipseoftheDarkSun said:
You'll just see longer loading screens because longer ads = more money.
That's what I meant by *genuine* loading screens :)

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Syzygy23 said:
AndrewC said:
Wow, I mean, I know Sony are stupid but are they really that thick?

If this goes ahead they can say goodbye to their consu- HEY TRY NEW GENERIC COLA 9999 CENTS- mer base.
Considering your avatar is also an xbox 360 avatar (which I'm assuming is yours) your opinion on anything Sony related is invalidated due to an obvious pre-existing bias. No matter HOW correct you happen to be.
Because someone can't own more than one console? Or not be a rabid fanboy/girl?

There's this thing people do, it might blow your mind, but see... most people don't shit all over things they don't own. Amazing, right?

You crack me up.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
If this technology is implemented during the next generation of consoles then we will probably see it being offered in the form of a cheaper console, which is partly subsidized by advertising revenue alongside the offering of a premium product sans-advertising. It could also be used to generate revenue in lieu of paying for a subscription service like the Playstation Network or Microsoft Live.

This might be overly optimistic but they might have learned from their past mistakes with the launch of the PS3. Generating ad revenue from an advertising-enabled Playstation 4 variant might allow gamers who would have otherwise been priced out of the market to enjoy the new generation of console that much sooner then their financial circumstances would've allowed them to do in past console generations. All they'd need to ensure is a good solid starting line-up which would hook consumers into buying the ad-enabled PS4 early in the console's life cycle rather than wait it out as usual and buy in when the price drops a couple of years in.

All pure baseless speculation of course.