Sony Files Patent for Backwards-Compatible PS3 Add-on

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
In all likelihood, they've probably had a working prototype of that device for over two years, sitting patiently in a Research & Development warehouse awaiting when the market was right.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I actually really like this idea :D

Presumably it'd be cheaper than an actual PS2. Then on top of that less space is taken up, you get to use the wireless PS3 controllers, get to keep the PS3 UI and don't have to keep switching power cords. Oh and those damn memory cards are replaced with the harddrive!

A lot of benefits there that people aren't taking into consideration.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Dana22 said:
I'd rather jailbreak ps3.
How exactly would this work? Software driven PS2 emulation?
Except there isn't any besides Pcsx2, which hasn't been ported to Linux or Jailbreak.

honestly that's why I wasn't too bummed about the Loss of Other OS, the thing I wanted on it was never on it

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
if they make it like the harddirve for the 360 or like the gameboy add on to the game cube itll work but if not i see people just going out and buying a ps2

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Can't this just be done via a software solution? Admittedly, hardware emulation would provide better results, but considering Sony knows more about the PS2 than anyone else, I think just selling and improving on the SW solution that came with 80 GB PS3s would be more than sufficient.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Id buy it if It will take my PS2 memory cards. Other wise Im not bothering to repeat everything.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
So... what was once a standard, for free I might add, is now something external you have to pay for?

Great. Fantastic. Marvelous. As much as I want to be able to play my PS2 games on my damn PS3 Slim, I am not buying this. Thanks a bunch, Sony.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...Well, its something at least, but still we need to pay for the pleasure ><

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Outlaw Torn said:
The PS3 isn't backwards compatible any more? I suddenly lost a rather large amount of interest in buying one, and if the PSN follows the way of Xbox Live then I definately won't waste my money. If I want to play PS2 games then I'll just get a PS2 again, they're probably £20 now and this device will undoubtedly go on sale for four times that.
They run about 100 - 150 bucks depending on the model and condition. If the adapter can come in under a hundred, it's a better investment.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
FargoDog said:
They need to make this incredibly low priced, otherwise people are just going to run out and buy a used PS2.
It's also got to be the right size. sure to fit the hardware, it has to be a certain size, but if the PS2 isn't much bigger, might as go for that. The PS3 has a rounded top, so you can't simply set it on top unless they give it a rounded bottom, and that'll look fucked up.

I don't see this being conveniant for space

Missing SHODAN

Jun 9, 2010
When I plug my PS2 into my HDTV, it looks godawful.
If this device allows PS2 games to be played on my HDTV and look pretty good, AND it's reasonably priced, I might buy one.

Otherwise, I already have a working PS2 hooked up to an old TV, so I don't really see the need.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
works for me. anything under the cost of a game i'm willing to buy. If they can just make an adapter to plug your PS2 into your PS3 would be best.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I'd buy it, if I still had PS2 games...

Outlaw Torn said:
The PS3 isn't backwards compatible any more? I suddenly lost a rather large amount of interest in buying one, and if the PSN follows the way of Xbox Live then I definately won't waste my money. If I want to play PS2 games then I'll just get a PS2 again, they're probably £20 now and this device will undoubtedly go on sale for four times that.
It hasnt been Backwards compatible for quite some time, plus as far as I know, PSN Premium or WTFever its called costs money, PSN is still free.

Kahalis

Nov 10, 2009
wait a minute... I have a 20gb original launch ps3, and it's backwards compatible... Was my unit just a production line mess up?

looks up info...

Nope, both 20gb and 60gb "FAT" versions are backwards compatible. Wow, I thought I had a unique unit for a second, given the article is misinformed

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
ForensicYOYO said:
Id buy it if It will take my PS2 memory cards. Other wise Im not bothering to repeat everything.
Actually there is a ps3 usb adapter for memory cards. I have all my saves on my Launch 60GB Model. The PS3 does a pretty decent job of upscaling most ps2 games. I would love to see a product like this I have been dreading the day my ps3 croked and I had to worry about not being able to play my ps2 games on it.

I think the point many people are missing is that if they do it this way everyone could have the possibility of ps2 on their ps3 no matter what model.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Lolz, and my ps3 friends were calling me silly for having an xbox because all microsoft did was grab money.

Then sony do this XD

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Its good to know that my 60gb launch version PS3 will continue to appreciate in value in the foreseeable future.