Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

HHKelevra

Jun 5, 2010
danpascooch said:
bojac6 said:
fire-exit-man said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I the only one that's a little pissed that somehow I'm included in all this?

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
I was involved in one with my microwave, when it turned out there were problems. All I did was check a box saying "I want money" and then collect a check. Also, I was provided with a new microwave. It was a good deal.
Well shit! That sounds fun!

How are they going to make sure EVERYONE is notified? Because I want in on this.
Perhaps the very person that hacked the network is the one who started the lawsuit. Since they now have the email addresses of all of the network's users, they can send the offer to everybody!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Up until very recently, I loathed everything about Sony, especially the way they conducted the service on the PSN. But this... not even Sony deserved this, in my opinion.

God help the guy who hacked their servers if he ever gets found out. They will write songs about the wrath that shall be unleashed on that day.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I think people are underestimating how hard it is to actually win a class action suit. Well, usually that is...
[HEADING=2]the apocalyPS3 has begun!!![/HEADING]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
danpascooch said:
bojac6 said:
fire-exit-man said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
I was involved in one with my microwave, when it turned out there were problems. All I did was check a box saying "I want money" and then collect a check. Also, I was provided with a new microwave. It was a good deal.
Well shit! That sounds fun!

How are they going to make sure EVERYONE is notified? Because I want in on this.
They'll get your contact information from Sony and contact you.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Brian Hendershot said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

No, I am pretty mad about this too. I just wanna know if I gotta worry about someone claiming to be me or not. And to make matters slightly worse for us all, I bet its only a matter of time before someone uses this as an anti-gaming rally cry...
I hope to God that's not what's gonna happen. If anyone uses this as an anti-gaming example they really need to get a life and be ashamed of themselves.
Well...I am sure someone *cough Jack Johnson* will find a way to make them selves more scummy and despicable. Even if no one does something that like that though, I don't see this ending well.
I don't except much from him, I wouldn't be surprised if he said something about this. I don't either, and to be honest, I seriously hope it's just someone that accidentally did something stupid.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Sir Seagull said:
EXACTLY!! All this is going to accomplish is the PSN will take LONGER to fix because half the company is going to be crapping itself over this lawsuit. They are being sued for something they had ZERO control over.
Seriously IF you are going to sue them (and please someone explain to me what the damn point is) do it after the PSN is fixed for the sake of the gamers that just want to play their games without getting caught up in the legal bollocks of it all
You really think half of Sony is crapping themselves over this? Please, class action lawsuits are just part of doing business, Sony is just going to fire up the legal team and get back to work. Seriously, Sony has over 100,000 employees. You think the people responsible for fixing PSN are looking at any of the legal stuff?

Secondly, we don't know that Sony had "zero control" over these events. That's the point of the lawsuit. You sue a company with a defective product that harms consumers (either directly, like faulty brakes, or indirectly, like releasing personal information to outsiders). Then, both sides investigate what happened, the evidence is presented in court, and a jury assigns level of fault. What if Sony's security was a copy of Norton Firewall from 2002 that hadn't been updated in three months? Then they are assigned some of the blame. If Sony took reasonable precautions, then no blame is assigned.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I need to learn computer information and find out why they can't just trace the connection signal back to a house.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Donnyp said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Exactly. Also my biggest problem is everyone is pointing fingers at sony yet the asshats of anonymous are the ones to blame. They "Attack" sony then less then a week later the info is stolen. Thats like arresting a man because his house was broken into and he wasn't even in the city at the same time.
I don't know if Anon is even responsible for this, I'm not dismissing that some rogue Anon member did this, but I don't think they're to blame. I really don't understand why Sony is being blamed right now, let them figure out who caused it and fix this before the blame starts being thrown around.

I genuinely wish that they recover from this and it can go back to business as usual.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
oppp7 said:
I need to learn computer information and find out why they can't just trace the connection signal back to a house.
its not always that simple to trace something back to its source
dummy sources
and other stuff can throw off a trace

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
ZeroG131 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Yes, you need to change your credit card now. And if you used the same password as your PS3 account on your email, you're gonna want to change that too because now he has your email and may be able to get into that as well.
I've already notified my bank so I'm gonna get a call if they see anything suspicious, I'm not gonna cancel it yet, but if I do get that phone call then I'm gonna kill it.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I said this in the other thread about Sony, but I'll say it again. This is a colossal failure on Sony's part. If it weren't for the gargantuan size of the company, this would surely have put them out of business. Any smaller company would go bankrupt after all of the legal fees, settlements, and security costs this will require before it's over.

I'd wager before all is said and done, Sony will have lost upwards of $100 million because of this.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm just going to repeat myself here and say that I hold nothing against Sony so long as they do what they can to find the bastard(s) responsible for this debacle.

They immediately went and hired professional security consultants, so that's good. Mind you, they probably should have done that in the first place, but when you start off with a $500 console that's bleeding money, there's probably not much room in the budget for such measures.

Sony is clearly kicking themselves in the ass for allowing this to happen, there's no reason we all need to join in.

Chronarch

Oct 31, 2009
I really don't think Sony should have the gun pointed at them before we even know the exact situation. I mean, the hackers might not have even got the credit card information and such. Thank goodness Sony actually had the bravery to tell people what they knew even if they did wait a little while to access the problem (honestly they may have been as dumbfounded as everyone else, probably more so.) They really shouldn't be blamed for getting HACKED. I mean really, it's not as if they just threw information into a wolf den; they were basically attacked. That's like saying that it's the victim's fault for being mugged. Plus I doubt Sony with all their money didn't have some sturdy defenses set up to protect their customer's information. Maybe we can give them the benefit of the doubt until we know everything there is to know.

Also, as previously mentioned earlier in the topic, why are lawyers suing on behalf of every PSN user? I for one never consented for them to represent me and I can safely say that not everyone wants to sue Sony into potential bankruptcy. Probably far less than half would want that. Why would anyone want all the people who work under Sony to be put out of a job? Hopefully this will all be sorted out and Sony won't be torn apart like a piece of meat thrown into a cage of hungry Tasmanian devils. That would be bad. We really should be ganging up on the hackers who did this, not Sony.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
All I can say is what a fucking greedy douche bag. Yeah, they said keep private as in they wouldn't give it away, not that they were unhackable. Anything can be hacked, and any place can be robbed. If I had a credit card and someone beat me up and stole it, could I sue the credit card company? No.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
M_aureus said:
Meh, please don't include me in this lawsuit. All I want is the PSN back online so I can play Portal 2 co-op.
Yeah, I think thats what most PS3 users are thinking. I saw a couple that looked really saddened by being told that PSN was down so they couldn't play their new game together.

Honestly, I think that's the worst part about this. Its not the money, that can be replaces, but its peoples entertainment thats being effected by this, and I know people who literally lived on PSN.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
All I can say is what a fucking greedy douche bag. Yeah, they said keep private as in they wouldn't give it away, not that they were unhackable. Anything can be hacked, and any place can be robbed. If I had a credit card and someone beat me up and stole it, could I sue the credit card company? No.
The situation is more akin to you having a credit card, somebody walks into the credit card company, takes your information, and then potentially uses it. You aren't told that it happened till a week later. What's the first thing you want to know? "How did this information get taken without anybody realizing?" would be my first question.

Any place can be robbed, but if the credit card company left your information lying around in an unsecure place, they'd be at fault too.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
The real criminals in this country are lawyers. There are the people that punish the victims (Sony) so that the other criminals (the hackers) win. I truly mean this with ever fiber of my being - these lawyers should be executed for their evil behavior.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
tony2077 said:
Shirokurou said:
Oh come on, that's just wrong...

I mean, they can't promise impossible to crack software and seriously "compensation for the "extra time, effort, and costs"" what's next, "compensation for not being able to play on PSN"?

Seriously, I hope Sony's lawyers kick this one back and avoid paying that stuff back.

Then again, maybe I'm just saying that cause I didn't have credit card info on PSN that could've leaked. But still I say in-PSN bonuses and compensation would've been enough IMHO.
a free game would be nice but i don't really care i just want it back so i can activate portal 2 on steam
They did say it would go back up in a week.
Have patience.
Also my Portal 2 hasn't even arrived yet :(

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
I wish I could feel sorry for Sony, but with the way they've been douching it up lately...screw them. If there's an option to add my name to this lawsuit, since I have a PSN account, I probably will. Crap like this is unacceptable, and companies should be held accountable. Since multinational megacorps like Sony have no government oversight, kicking their wallet and reputation straight in the balls is the only way to hold them accountable.