Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
But this isn't the first time someone have hacked the PSN is it? Yet they didn't do anything about it. Can't say I feel sorry for them, the users however, I do.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Permalink[/B]
I don't know. So far, I haven't seen any evidence that anyone's lost a dime, so that's a biiiiiig number for people to be throwing around. Also, it remains to be seen (as you noted) whether Sony was truly negligent and thus truly at fault.

I don't want my credit card information stolen, but we have to really look into whether it's okay to sue someone for getting hacked--or if we're just suing them because we can't sue who's really at fault (the hackers and thieves).

Really, it'd be like me renting a storage unit, putting valuable things in there, and then suing the rental folks because a few guys took some explosives and a torch to the thing and cleaned me out. It was a storage unit, not Fort Goddamned Knox.

Or, alternately, it's like those families of murder victims that went after gun manufacturers. It's not because there is any bona fide reason to believe they're at fault, t's only because they know they can't get justice (or a dime) from going after the actual murderers.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
danpascooch said:
bojac6 said:
fire-exit-man said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I the only one that's a little pissed that somehow I'm included in all this?

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
I was involved in one with my microwave, when it turned out there were problems. All I did was check a box saying "I want money" and then collect a check. Also, I was provided with a new microwave. It was a good deal.
Well shit! That sounds fun!

How are they going to make sure EVERYONE is notified? Because I want in on this.
They'll probably just subpoena Sony for a list of all affected customers. It's not like they don't have your address, right? :p

Anyways, you'll get a letter informing you of the settlement and a return envelope with two checkboxes. Either "Yes, I want several hundred dollars for sitting around doing nothing" or "No, I want everyone else to get a share in a gesture supporting the company, even though they still have to pay out the same amount, this just means everyone else gets slightly more of the money that I am legally owed because of negligence on the part of Sony."

Alternatively, the courts will find that Sony was not at fault and nobody gets any money. In which case you don't get a letter. That's what everyone is missing. This lawsuit, from a law theory standpoint, isn't about getting money, it's about establishing fault. You sue the company, there is an investigation, a jury determines whether the company did something negligent, reckless, or is otherwise at fault. If you really believe Sony did nothing wrong and want to support them, you should participate in the suit and look forward to it. Because then it confirms that you are right and legally, Sony has proved that they did nothing wrong.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
No, I am pretty mad about this too. I just wanna know if I gotta worry about someone claiming to be me or not. And to make matters slightly worse for us all, I bet its only a matter of time before someone uses this as an anti-gaming rally cry...
I hope to God that's not what's gonna happen. If anyone uses this as an anti-gaming example they really need to get a life and be ashamed of themselves.
Well...I am sure someone *cough Jack Johnson* will find a way to make them selves more scummy and despicable. Even if no one does something that like that though, I don't see this ending well.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

No, I am pretty mad about this too. I just wanna know if I gotta worry about someone claiming to be me or not. And to make matters slightly worse for us all, I bet its only a matter of time before someone uses this as an anti-gaming rally cry...
I hope to God that's not what's gonna happen. If anyone uses this as an anti-gaming example they really need to get a life and be ashamed of themselves.
Well...I am sure someone *cough Jack Johnson* will find a way to make them selves more scummy and despicable. Even if no one does something that like that though, I don't see this ending well.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
So long as they complied with the Act, this lawsuit has no merit.

I don't know how Sony operated before the hack, I don't think the firm that accepted this lawsuit does either. They can request it, but I'd much rather have Sony go on and do what they can to make sure this shit doesn't happen again. I'd also like to see if they can find a way to work with world law enforcement in finding who did this.

All this will end up being is a distraction, a distraction we don't need right now.

That said, I'm not sure where I stand in this lawsuit. I'm a bit conflicted about the whole thing; I don't trust the lawsuit's motives, but I can't say Sony shouldn't make some form of reparation available.

This kind of thing was inevitable, there was a perfect storm for it. We're just sifting through the debris now.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Called it.

And you know what? I'm glad. Sony has been shoving lawsuits in all directions and trying to generate legal precedent that would be awful for their customers.

You know what would be golden irony? If the hacker was that guy they tried suing recently for getting the PS3 code.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Herman Zindler said:
Well, I guess I'm part of the class. Little early to start filing suit when we don't even truly know the full extent of the breach, only Sony's best guesses. Honestly, they're just looking to cash in now that there's blood in the water. Likely conclusion: suit will be settled out of court and we'll all get $0.28 (less attorney fees, of course) for the trouble of dialing up our card companies to report the breach.
This is 100% true and that's why this makes me sad. They don't care, they just want the cash they could possibly get if their case has any merit at all. The world is ruled by lawyers. And lawyers as a whole seem to be a fairly despicable bunch.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
whiteblood said:
I've got no grudge against Sony, Xbox player though I am. I can't help but wonder, even fear; is this the beginning of Sony's end?
It very well could be and that's only bad for the industry as a whole. You think Microsoft and Nintendo aren't looking at this?

They aren't hackproof, this could easily happen to either of them. Some dickweed was just pissed off at Sony, so they ate it.

Not only does it kill of some competition, it also means we're going to be dealing with stricter hardware control by those manufacturers that are left.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Fuck me, can we not just out this shit aside and deal with securing the information, finding the hackers, and resurrecting PSN without diving into this kind of crap just yet? Hell, I'm at risk, and I just want this to end.

Sir Seagull

Knight of the Picnic Table
Jan 12, 2011
El Poncho said:
How will this help the situation?
EXACTLY!! All this is going to accomplish is the PSN will take LONGER to fix because half the company is going to be crapping itself over this lawsuit. They are being sued for something they had ZERO control over.
Seriously IF you are going to sue them (and please someone explain to me what the damn point is) do it after the PSN is fixed for the sake of the gamers that just want to play their games without getting caught up in the legal bollocks of it all
Braedan said:
And whoever asked me if I wanted to sue Sony? Why am I being represented?
Also this.
/rant

Mar 9, 2010
Well, if they didn't have the necessary security in place to protect from being attacked then they will lose the court case. However, if they did have the proper security in place and there was a tiny hole that a skilful hacker managed to exploit then they stand a chance at not being out of billions. It would be sad to see Sony go down, as evil as people portray them, they still provide meals for people to eat and it would only make the economy worse if they all lost their jobs.

The best thing would be to bring whoever was responsible for the theft of the information to justice, not punishing Sony and having them fire a few thousand people.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
lawsuits lawyers i hate all of this just give me psn back and the rest of you move on this isn't helping anyone