Sony Patents a Way to Sabotage Used Game Market

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Wait, Sony and Microsoft actually matter on the gaming scene anymore? I haven't bought a game for any system they have produced in a year despite owning a ps3, xbox 360, and Vita. Heck, I just recently stopped automatic renewal of Xbox live since I'm doing nothing on the system. I'm waiting for the various Linux box systems to hit the shelves and hopefully force the stubborn old vanguard to work up a new pricing model or fall into redundancy.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Steam already does this. Any game bought on a disc which requires Steam will be forever locked to one Steam account. Sony just aren't forcing you to register online for your singleplayer game too.

Conclusion. Both companies suck

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Steam already does this. Any game bought on a disc which requires Steam will be forever locked to one Steam account. Sony just aren't forcing you to register online for your singleplayer game too.

The difference is that Valve lets you download the game an infinite amount of times from their servers to any computer you own. I can't imagine Sony letting you download it again from their servers, and there I wouldn't be surprised if the game is bound to your console :C

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
So it pretty much makes a boxed game equivalent to buying it from somewhere like Steam, if they tie it to your account ID. I guess that's not woefully terrible, though it would be a shame to see the used market go away if this were to ever really take off (which i still doubt it will). I just wish the game publishers and such would target places like Gamestop that aren't giving them the profit from a used sale. It's that kind of practice that wouldn't hurt the consumer, and would get these developers the profits they need to deal with the ridiculously high production costs they go and put on themselves.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Here's some issues that will come up with this:

1) If my PS4 breaks, and I have to send it in for a MFG warranty repair/replace (or buy a new one), does this mean that all my games that are encoded to the old system are rendered unusable on a new system?

2) If my power's out, yet I want to play a game that I have and my brother doesn't, I go to his house and yet cannot play the game on his PS4 because my PS4 is encoded to that game? (essentially screwing LAN parties with people's different games/systems).

3) Will there not be a legal battle for those that own these products in saying that they cannot do with what they want? For example, what if I decide 6 months into it that I no longer want to have a PS4. Well, I can sell the system but now I can't do anything with the software, cannot resell it or anything (unless it goes with the system.,..but gamestop won't take it like that, that's for sure).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Eruanno said:
BrotherRool said:

The difference is that Valve lets you download the game an infinite amount of times from their servers to any computer you own. I can't imagine Sony letting you download it again from their servers, and there I wouldn't be surprised if the game is bound to your console :C
Sony let you download your PSN games onto multiple PS3s at a time, and it takes a couple of seconds to log onto your account from any console, they say its tied to the account not the PS3, and you still have the disk, so I don't think thats particularly likely.

By contrast Valve makes it awkward to log into a steam account on someone else computer. You need to send and reply to a confirmation email first, if your account is old and your email account has become inactive it's practically impossible

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I like how the companies within the video game companies seem to think they are fucking special compared to the rest of the free markets and industries in the world.

If I buy a used car , a Ford from another garage that had it traded into them part exchange Ford do not get a cut of that sale. 100% of that sale goes to the garage that sold me the used car.

So fuck you Sony, this is another in a long list of reasons that I won't go into here that I will never buy your console. This is like taking the downside of Steam and slapping it on a console without the advantages.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Eruanno said:
BrotherRool said:

Sony let you download your PSN games onto multiple PS3s at a time, and it takes a couple of seconds to log onto your account from any console, they say its tied to the account not the PS3, and you still have the disk, so I don't think thats particularly likely.

By contrast Valve makes it awkward to log into a steam account on someone else computer. You need to send and reply to a confirmation email first, if your account is old and your email account has become inactive it's practically impossible
Valve don't make you at all, Steam guard is optional and is turned off by default.

Steam ----> settings ---> account tab -----> manage Steam guard account security -----> disable/enable steam guard.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Because Sony has always tread so lightly on the possibility of pissing its consumers off? Pardon me while I laugh out my spleen.

They'll do it, if not now, then soon. And some jolly soul will trot out the "They're a company, they're in business to make money, what do you expect them to do" excuse that seems to be the carte blanche for anything that can be described as a business doing whatever ill they choose.

When they do this, your duty as a consumer is to burn them to the motherfucking ground (metaphorically speaking). No goddamn excuses.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I put my account on another computer 2 days ago and in less than 5 minutes, with no sweat, tears or frustration. The email was already in my box when I got onto my hotmail and then I just typed in the code and it let me on through without anymore issue.

I can honestly say I appreciate this extra protection feature as it reduces the likelihood of people I piss off in games or forums being able to steal my account. It's come up.

The news pop-up however still pisses me off, hangs up my whole system sometimes...

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Hmm, I've got a bad feeling about this. I've got a bad feeling about everything but still. Lucille 2? Thanks for letting me know captcha.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012

Looks like they're trying something out, maybe it works out. But something tells me that it might backfire. Just have to wait and see.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh boy! A potential reason to boycott Sony in the not too distant future! Hopefully Sony won't use this with the PS4 or potential new models of PSV. I was just beginning to look favorably upon Sony too for having a bunch of exclusive titles too but if the PS4/PSV-Mini or whatever ends up using such tech I'm just not even going to bother. Then again this kind of thing has been hinted for years and years without it actually coming up yet...hopefully this kind of thing is just going to remain a stick that isn't used but used to threaten.

Edit because more importantly: this isn't stopping me from buying old Genesis or SNES carts so all is still well and good.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Well, I see their point in a way. I got Assassin's Creed 3 second hand and I know they're not seeing any revenue for it but have provided me with 32 hours of entertainment at this point. But I only got it second hand because I couldn't afford the £50 price. Why would I pay £50 when I can pay £32? I may buy a Uplay passport to give them some money, mind.

But on topic, I can see this work, if and only if, they bring down the price of new games quite drastically. If they had sold Assassin's Creed 3 for new, for a reasonable price I would have bought it new. It's not the used game market hurting their income, it's their own overcharging greed.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Entitled said:
As a PC gamer, I hope this will be used. (Because I would love to see more people come over here, and buy PC games instead of this, so there would be more games designed for the PC.)
At the risk of going off-topic, it's not like PC gaming doesn't have it's own heinous problems (*cough*Windows8*cough).

OT, though, I won't be buying a console that even restricts used-game sales. Hell, if the steam marketplace does what I think it's going to do, even PC games won't restrict right-of-first-sale. This is disgusting, and I'm not going to put up with it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...I some days wonder if Sony just hates everyone. In fact all companies in Japan trying to cling to their hatred of anyone outside their little bubble always seem to suffer heavily for it. (Looking at you Sega Japan)

But oh well, if that's the way they wanna play. Let them. Let them make it more and more inaccessible to people. Let them dig their graves.

PC gaming is quickly becoming the poor mans gaming world, and it's glorious. And game developers are starting to realize where the bigger market is (what with all these ports and assurances that their next installment will be PC friendly).