Sony "Pleased" By Nintendo 3DS

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Rhino of Steel said:
Swifteye said:
Ehra said:
Swifteye said:
I really don't understand what's so great about 3D. it's really eluding me why everything is touting 3D like it means something. It's a novelty. Like drinking lots of soda because your in the coca cola factory. But you wouldn't want to have all those coke drinks at your house. Espesically beverly ughhh.
Sound use to be considered a novelty when it came to movies. Heck some studios at the time even said sound would be a failure, claiming that audiences wouldn't want to have to watch AND listen at the same time.
Are you kidding me with that comparison? Sound has added so many things to that meduim that entire movies are made and broken based on diaglogue and musical score. Your telling me that there will be movies that will become great bestseller hits that will enthrall and entertain the world merely because it is 3D. Bullpocky.
I'd like to introduce you to a little film called Avatar.
Dude I've like seen avatar and that movie was boring. I'm surprised and shocked people liked such a dull film. I mean it was really boring. Made me wish montages weren't outlawed.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
baseracer said:
I think Sony is trying to say "This will never sell! You've fucked yourself Nintendo!"

And then they remember that the Iphone and ipod touch is much better than either.
No they're trying to say "if people like 3DS they might buy into our super expensive 3D TV's".

I kind of hope Sony make a PSP with the same 3D tech. It'd be blatantly copying but i don't care, 3D without the glasses sounds awesome ;D

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
You know at one point HD was considered a gimmick, that those HDTV's we have would never be affordable for us.

I can't imagine the 3DS failing, Nintendo knows how to market it's products.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Low Key said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Low Key said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Low Key said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
The PS3 is still not making a profit yet and their other divisions are not in that great a shape.
Hmm...that's probably why they like Nintendo doing their part to promote 3D, doncha think? Perhaps it might lead to 3D TVs selling...maybe???
Well the more people who buy inferior nintendo products the more they will put up with Sony electronics.
/Snob

(hehehehehehehehhe)
I have an Xbox 360 and a Panasonic TV, so I guess I wouldn't know. :p
Yes you would you have a easy brake oven, What number are you on I'm on 3 if you count the sell off of my first console 3-4 years ago...I just got a newer unit a few months back.
Damn thing still sounds like its trying to hover when it reads a disc but other than that I can play for 4 or 5 hours and not have it fail up.
Sorry to hear that. I'm still on the first one I bought last February, though I don't play it too much. Maybe 4-6 hours a week if I'm lucky. I can still beat my friends at whatever game they put in though.
Well I got one when it first came out it fried I dumped it I just got back into it and the newer systems are better I just wish it would output A/V and HDMI at the same time.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
If it's backwards compatible with the DS and DSi software, it shall be mine. Has that been announced?

I've just managed to restrain myself from caving and buying a DSi XL, so hopefully the 3DS will be affordable.

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
It's weird that Sony is so excited about this, because the 3DS's approach to 3D illustrates EXACTLY why Sony's push into 3D on TVs will fail miserably: one requires glasses, one doesn't. With 3D glasses running over $100 in most cases, you can't exactly have 8 friends over to watch a 3D movie or play a game.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Well I got one when it first came out it fried I dumped it I just got back into it and the newer systems are better I just wish it would output A/V and HDMI at the same time.
Maybe this will help.

ModusPwnens said:
It's weird that Sony is so excited about this, because the 3DS's approach to 3D illustrates EXACTLY why Sony's push into 3D on TVs will fail miserably: one requires glasses, one doesn't. With 3D glasses running over $100 in most cases, you can't exactly have 8 friends over to watch a 3D movie or play a game.
Sony is hoping that Nintendo will help 3D will become more mainstream which will eventually lower the price of all the hardware. I'm sure Sony's goal is to get their 3D sets under a grand and the glasses to $20 or so (it would help if everyone standardized the red/blue scheme).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sony is happy about the 3DS?
I can't help but think of how that went down during their last business meeting.
Maybe something like this...

Sony:
"Nintendo just signed the death warrant for our handheld. We need to put on a brave face and get some PR spin out there for our investors. Try to enter the mindset of being optimistic, possibly diversionary."

Sony's Marketing Monkeys:
"Lets try this...*ahem*:

'Well, there goes any chance of us staying in the handheld market. Thank goodness we don't have to support the PSP anymore; I mean, what a money sink. Lets be glad that we can finally hack that gangrenous limb off once and for all.'"

Sony:
"Perhaps something less...direct. What other products do we have coming out? Anything tangentially related?"

Sony Marketing Monkeys:
"Uh...3D...stuff."

Sony:
"Ok...make a big fuss about how Nintendo is going to pave the way for our success, but don't mention how they are essentially eliminating us from an entire market at the same time!"

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Low Key said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Maybe this will help.

ModusPwnens said:
Sony is hoping that Nintendo will help 3D will become more mainstream which will eventually lower the price of all the hardware. I'm sure Sony's goal is to get their 3D sets under a grand and the glasses to $20 or so (it would help if everyone standardized the red/blue scheme).
I did that the trouble is when HDMI is plugged in the unit can not output to composite video.....sometimes I want to switch from TV to HD monitor when I want to check something on the comp.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
I did that the trouble is when HDMI is plugged in the unit can not output to composite video.....sometimes I want to switch from TV to HD monitor when I want to check something on the comp.
My friend uses a TV switch box to go from one console to another. That might solve your problem. However, it looks like they go for between $50-$300 and I'm not sure if there is one out there compatible for monitors, unless you go the RCA route.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'll say this about the 3D market...
When it is cheap enough, I might buy it.

I still haven't bought an HDTv yet. :\

Zackary Yakumo

Mar 29, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
I know someone is going to say something like this, so I might as well be first. =P

What Sony is ACTUALLY Saying: "We're very pleased that Nintendo did all the hard work for us so that we can make an even less successful handheld console because everybody except extreme idiots will know that we ripped off our tech from Nintendo."
more like theyre saying "we thank nintendo for looking like the dumbasses in the handheld field. We just Xbox does the same so we dont look so bad when we realize a PSP Slim" because u know they are.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Low Key said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
My friend uses a TV switch box to go from one console to another. That might solve your problem. However, it looks like they go for between $50-$300 and I'm not sure if there is one out there compatible for monitors, unless you go the RCA route.
I want to get a decent upscaler thats 200-400$ just so I have something to make SD on HD look half decent.

But thats like a year off and 32inch HDTVs are in that price range so I dunno.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I don't care about 3d, I'm not excited about the analog stick (why not use stylus for analog controls?)

but the 3DS looks like gold. Think about this....it looks like the first 3d camera a lot of people play with. The saving cartiges to SD card is HUGE. And with SD and wifi all they need is a skype, twitter, and facebook posting application to basicly replace a cell phone in a lot of situations.

Magic Cheese

Jun 19, 2010
PureChaos said:
i still don't see why games need to be in 3D. i don't even get it with films
[rant]Because electronics consumers have accepted amd adapted to HD and now it's time to roll out a new "next big thing" to render everything you just bought obsolete and force "early adopters" (i.e. morons with too much disposable income)to drop another five grand on some shiny new useless bullshit they don't need. [/rant]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I have to wonder if the people who say 3D is a fad have ever noticed that the whole world around them is indeed 3D. Haven't people been clamoring for realistic graphics in video games for years?

Anyway...

3D or no 3D, the 3DS is a must-buy for me. I ended up not trading up my DS Phat to any of the improved models, so I've gotten some good time out of my machine since its release.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Corpse XxX said:
Korten12 said:
if they can make a screen for the ds that requires no glasses, why dont they just make tvs that do the same? :p
i wonder the same thing.. let me know if you find out..
Because the 3D technology put into the 3DS is different than what is currently being done on TVs. The 3DS uses autostereoscopic images, which basically means there are two separate images imposed over one another in slightly offset positions. Since the individuals eyes only pick up one of the images, this creates the illusion of 3D.

Now the thing with this technique is that your eyes have to be in a certain position in order for the 3D to work properly. If you view the source at too steep an angle, the screen becomes distorted and hard to decipher. This isn't too big of a problem with handhelds as only one person needs to be seeing what's going on and the position of the screen can be changed easily. However, this tech is impractical to incorporate into fixed television sets, as most TVs can be viewed by many different people at many different angles at the same time. That's why every other company relies on techniques that involve glasses when working with 3D.