Sony Provides Timeline of Attack Hinting at Anonymous' Involvement

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
It wasn't me. -- Anonymous
See, there. Now Anon has said it wasn't them.

This about sums it up:

Kross said:
Isn't anonymous made up of whoever decides to declare themselves as part of it? Including people in some other group/whatever? It's just a handy pseudo-anarchist group that uses a forum that allows anonymous posting to organize activities. It's not like they have an entrance exam, or even a need to organize if you're doing something solo.
It's like writing "Leroy was Here". Leroy wasn't actually there, you know.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Bull shit. If any fingers were pointing at Anon they would have popped out and said 'HAH AH WE DID IT!" not leave a file telling you the anon motto. The only finger pointing at Anon is a finger owned by sony that put the file there; if it even existed(no one say conspiracy companies can still lie) and again if anon had hacked sony we would have heard about it from anon via public release.
Are you forgetting that Sony called in not one, not two, but three independent forensic examiners? All those parties are in on a conspiracy to frame Anonymouse? Possible, but not likely.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Sooo many people who don't understand how anonymous works.

Its entirely likely (and in fact very likely) that it was Anonymous, since anonymous is an amorphous group, and people within that group often times never know what others are doing.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
SnakeCL said:
Sooo many people who don't understand how anonymous works.

Its entirely likely (and in fact very likely) that it was Anonymous, since anonymous is an amorphous group, and people within that group often times never know what others are doing.
Theres a little bit more difference between "We dont know who did it" and "Anonymous did it".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's a possible that Anonymous did it. It's possible that Anonymous didn't do it and someone is being intentionally misleading.
I mean cmon. Anonymous has been publicly going at it with Sony for a some time now. Anyone tripping over one of their random cryptic rants against Sony could have just slipped that little bit in.

It's nothing conclusive in any case.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sony is pointing fingers, just another reason not to buy anything from them.

There MUST be a core group of people who organize the actions of Anonymous, just because we aren't aware of who they are doesn't mean they do not exist. I don't think anyone is trying to "frame" anonymous, per se, but I do think they the core group that MUST exist had nothing to do with it.

Kross said:
Isn't anonymous made up of whoever decides to declare themselves as part of it? Including people in some other group/whatever? It's just a handy pseudo-anarchist group that uses a forum that allows anonymous posting to organize activities. It's not like they have an entrance exam, or even a need to organize if you're doing something solo.
Not to nitpick, but they never claimed to be a group of anarchists as I understood it. I mean, anarchism is simply not having leaders. It's not chaos or lawlessness as so many people associate with the word. They literally pick a cause and then assert there side by their own means, in some cases shutting down a website. But, they have never done anything as big as this before, and they never stole anything either. Just because they use unorthodox means of expressing their point of view doesn't mean they are cyber thieves. That is like saying that since I speed occasionally, I am also likely the person who robbed the bank.

My friends and I used to have a game night. We would play social games and we played this game where the person would read a statement with a blank in it, and everyone else would write something down, and the person would then have to guess who wrote what. Well, "Don wrote this" came up a lot and Don never ever wrote it.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
JDKJ said:
Bull shit. If any fingers were pointing at Anon they would have popped out and said 'HAH AH WE DID IT!" not leave a file telling you the anon motto. The only finger pointing at Anon is a finger owned by sony that put the file there; if it even existed(no one say conspiracy companies can still lie) and again if anon had hacked sony we would have heard about it from anon via public release.
Are you forgetting that Sony called in not one, not two, but three independent forensic examiners? All those parties are in on a conspiracy to frame Anonymous? Possible, but not likely.
So its impossible for sony to leave a file in there for when one of the firms checks? they turn it in and make like it was found?

While i wouldn't put it past a few entities to lie to people i would say all that would be needed was sony to make a file, leave it in the path of the firms check ups, wait for them to find it, BAM instant scapegoat.
I think that multiple experts in computer and data forensics would be able to figure out whether a file was placed by an intruder or by the owner of the server. There'd be fingerprints and footprints all over the place. But if you're happy believing in tinfoil hat conspiracies, suit yourself. What ever makes you happy.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Wait a second...

You missed the date when PSN goes back online....

Nevermind: You guys havent got to that part....

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Popido said:
You see, if Obama suddenly came down the street and punched you in face claiming that hes Anonymous, would you belive that? No, as hes clearly who else than Barrack Obama. :D

As anonymity is lost when discovered(herp derp), a hacker calling himself an collective mind of inviduals is nothing more than fake numbers.

I hope its not Sony.
If Mr. Obama was wearing a mask and not talking, then yes, he would be anonymous. If someone says they are anonymous, and we don't know who they are, then they ARE anonymous. In both ways that can be taken.

Edit: Or if he was talking in a voice you couldn't recognize... if you want to be a nit picker.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Baresark said:
You obviously have not read this article properly.
It says that Sony admits that the file could have been placed by another group to place blame on anon.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
If it was Anonymous, you'd think they'd do something a little grander to announce their involvement. Like they've done with basically everything else.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Baresark said:

There MUST be a core group of people who organize the actions of Anonymous, just because we aren't aware of who they are doesn't mean they do not exist. I don't think anyone is trying to "frame" anonymous, per se, but I do think they the core group that MUST exist had nothing to do with it.

Kross said:
Not to nitpick, but they never claimed to be a group of anarchists as I understood it. I mean, anarchism is simply not having leaders. It's not chaos or lawlessness as so many people associate with the word. They literally pick a cause and then assert there side by their own means, in some cases shutting down a website. But, they have never done anything as big as this before, and they never stole anything either. Just because they use unorthodox means of expressing their point of view doesn't mean they are cyber thieves. That is like saying that since I speed occasionally, I am also likely the person who robbed the bank.

My friends and I used to have a game night. We would play social games and we played this game where the person would read a statement with a blank in it, and everyone else would write something down, and the person would then have to guess who wrote what. Well, "Don wrote this" came up a lot and Don never ever wrote it.
There may be an inner group who by virtue of seniority in time and skill have risen above the fray, but it does appear that there's no centralized government. Anyone can slap on their trusty Guy Fawkes mask, call themselves Anonymous, and do what ever they like in the organization's name. And what can the organization say in response? That the person isn't a recognized member? That would make no sense. There are no recognized members. All members are anonymous (hence the eponymous name).

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
JDKJ said:
JDKJ said:
Are you forgetting that Sony called in not one, not two, but three independent forensic examiners? All those parties are in on a conspiracy to frame Anonymous? Possible, but not likely.
So its impossible for sony to leave a file in there for when one of the firms checks? they turn it in and make like it was found?

While i wouldn't put it past a few entities to lie to people i would say all that would be needed was sony to make a file, leave it in the path of the firms check ups, wait for them to find it, BAM instant scapegoat.
I think that multiple experts in computer data forensics would be able to figure out whether a file was placed by an intruder or by the owner of the server. There'd be fingerprints and footprints all over the place. But if you're happy believing in tinfoil hat conspiracies, suit yourself. What ever makes you happy.
The hacking was most likely done over the web with remote computer.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
Not that I'm in a position to accurately predict how they work, but Anonymous seems to have been pretty upfront with taking the blame/credit for their actions so far. Doesn't seem like them to deny any involvement, and it seems far more likely that a group of criminals are attempting to thrown on the proverbial V mask to help conceal themselves.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Popido said:
JDKJ said:
JDKJ said:

I think that multiple experts in computer data forensics would be able to figure out whether a file was placed by an intruder or by the owner of the server. There'd be fingerprints and footprints all over the place. But if you're happy believing in tinfoil hat conspiracies, suit yourself. What ever makes you happy.
The hacking was most likely done over the web with remote computer.
Yes. That does appear to be the case.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
God I actually miss the PSN, and I'm sick of all the AntiSony bitching. I hope this gets resolved soon.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
this does not seem like anons MO, it could be some one who thinks of him self as one or someone trying to create a cover.