Sony: PS2 "Forever Changed" Gaming

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
If it was before, it would have also be edited on in my reply. Anyway, what i say still stand and plastic legs are hardly an improvement.
Being able to play consoles that use discs, on their side is an improvement. Point is the ps2 used discs and was designed to work on its side.
Not at all. Any PC gamer or any gamer that have a computer knows that any disk drive can work on the side. All of them. If you don't believe me, ask @Treblaine who is a notorious PC gamer.
Never said a disc drive couldn't work on its side. I emphasized the ps2 using discs because like many said, older consoles could work on their sides as well. Once again, i can't think of another console that was designed to work on its side. I still think that the ps2 deserves credit for that, considering the 360's design and all.
It's not really "designed" if there's no problem to overcome when you put in on the side. It's just adding some plastic leg on the side. And considering what? That they all sold a piece of cardboard (ps2) or legs (X360 and PS3) to put it on the side?

No, here's a example of Design and inovation: The NES 2.

Since the first NES was notorious for having bad connections (aka: the green, blue or brown screen) and was a chore to get working, they made that. Once the cartridge is locked in, it would work the first time.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Online connectivity and CD playing was doneby the Dreamcast first I know because I still own one, also while the PS2 had tons of great games it had like a 46-quintillion game catalog so at least some of them had to be good, I was more of an original Xbox man myself, mostly due to the relationship between Microsoft and Bioware.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Akalistos said:
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
If it was before, it would have also be edited on in my reply. Anyway, what i say still stand and plastic legs are hardly an improvement.
Being able to play consoles that use discs, on their side is an improvement. Point is the ps2 used discs and was designed to work on its side.
Not at all. Any PC gamer or any gamer that have a computer knows that any disk drive can work on the side. All of them. If you don't believe me, ask @Treblaine who is a notorious PC gamer.
Never said a disc drive couldn't work on its side. I emphasized the ps2 using discs because like many said, older consoles could work on their sides as well. Once again, i can't think of another console that was designed to work on its side. I still think that the ps2 deserves credit for that, considering the 360's design and all.
It's not really "designed" if there's no problem to overcome when you put in on the side. It's just adding some plastic leg on the side. And considering what? That they all sold a piece of cardboard (ps2) or legs (X360 and PS3) to put it on the side?

Since the first NES was notorious for having bad connections (aka: the green, blue or brown screen) and was a chore to get working, they made that. Once the cartridge is locked in, it would work the first time.
I didn't want to respond to this, but why are you so bent on taking something away from the ps2? If its as small as you make it out to be, why address it? I never said anything about the NES. This isn't about ps2 vs NES it is about acknowledging that the ps2 was a great system. What does the NES have to do with anything? The fact that you brought up the good things it did is a clear indicator that you just want to undermine anything good the ps2 did. Who cares what the NES did, the topic is the ps2. An example of design innovation? I never said designing something to work on its side was "innovation". Well done to nintendo for improving o_O. If you don't think the ps2 was a great system fine, your entitled to that, but leave it at that.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I'm really talking through my hat here, as the only console from the last 2 generations that I own is a Wii, but from my outsider's point of view I would say that the original XBOX might have changed console gaming more than the PS2. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the XBOX was largely responsible for "Westernising" the console game library and for launching an FPS era of sorts on consoles with Halo.

I guess each console contributed in its own way though.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:
Forget designed to do so, any cartridge system you could nail to a wall and it would work the same because there's no moving parts. Hell my friends NES was sideways next to his TV way back when and it worked perfectly.
Why forget designed to do so?
I think things are being taken too far, my point was more of a joke that game systems were able to do it long before PS2, PS2 was probably the only one to really show it off and take advantage of it. I wasn't aware vertical or horizontal positioning were so important on a console with much larger feats.
It means very VERY little, but it means something. Microsoft did take notice when designing their next system. Still, eh...it has gotten out of hand, i apologize for that.
No need to get defensive about it haha, I have a PS2, I've had a few since I've worn them out. I was just taking a stab at it since it really is just a silly feature to brag about.

Akalistos said:
Hardly an improvment it removed the AV function and RF shielding so you got an inferior more noisy/blurry signal. Then again my NES is bricked after just fixing it.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
In my mind every main stream console ever made "Forever Changed" gaming. They all introduced some thing new that seemed to stick.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:
Jkudo said:
Akalistos said:

I didn't want to respond to this, but why are you so bent on taking something away from the ps2? If its as small as you make it out to be, why address it? I never said anything about the NES. This isn't about ps2 vs NES it is about acknowledging that the ps2 was a great system. What does the NES have to do with anything? The fact that you brought up the good things it did is a clear indicator that you just want to undermine anything good the ps2 did. Who cares what the NES did, the topic is the ps2. An example of design innovation? I never said designing something to work on its side was "innovation". Well done to nintendo for improving o_O. If you don't think the ps2 was a great system fine, your entitled to that, but leave it at that.
It's not about taking or bringing down the PS2. It's about truth. You seem adamant to call me a hater on the fact that i doesn't agree with you yet it's pretty clear that i did give credit where credit is due. What you fail to comprehend is that if you can't give credit for something that was there before. You can't give yourself credit for having a thumb when the human race has it for millennium. You can't give credit for the PS2 in that regard. The only things it can really give itself credit for are this:
- The first successful console that went Online.
- The first console to include a DVD player.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
In terms of console gaming, yes. PC gaming was pretty much on top of things already.

Still got my big black PS2, play on it occasionally. Still haven't got a current gen console.
When my PS2 finally dies its getting replaced with another PS2.

Ziel

Mar 24, 2004
Varanfan9 said:
In my mind every main stream console ever made "Forever Changed" gaming. They all introduced some thing new that seemed to stick.
Agreed.

I think a lot of the PS2's success was down to the DVD player and it's third party games, along with possibly it's aesthetic. The sleek black vertical tower thing it had going on looked fairly futuristic compared to most of the other stuff back then.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:
It means very VERY little, but it means something. Microsoft did take notice when designing their next system. Still, eh...it has gotten out of hand, i apologize for that.
No need to get defensive about it haha, I have a PS2, I've had a few since I've worn them out. I was just taking a stab at it since it really is just a silly feature to brag about.

Akalistos said:
Hardly an improvement it removed the AV function and RF shielding so you got an inferior more noisy/blurry signal. Then again my NES is bricked after just fixing it.
The AV function was remove to slim it down. As for the RF Shielding... it didn't need it as long as you leave the cartridge in. But it's not the point I was making, they had a problem with the original and tried to fix it. It's just to contrast the fact to @Jkudo that you can give credit for bringing something new (in this case, they bring a fix for that console) yet anyone can attested that any hardware, console or otherwise components can play on the side.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I agree with this post, but only on a technicality. Since history is irreversible, every action of an individual "forever changes history" in that no one can change the action.

But really, no. It didn't.

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
Still have my PS2...all it is is my DVD player now since someone stole my 360 remote

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Akalistos said:
Snotnarok said:
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:

Akalistos said:
Hardly an improvement it removed the AV function and RF shielding so you got an inferior more noisy/blurry signal. Then again my NES is bricked after just fixing it.
The AV function was remove to slim it down. As for the RF Shielding... it didn't need it as long as you leave the cartridge in. But it's not the point I was making, they had a problem with the original and tried to fix it. It's just to contrast the fact to @Jkudo that you can give credit for bringing something new (in this case, they bring a fix for that console) yet anyone can attested that any hardware, console or otherwise components can play on the side.
It wasn't fixing it, it was making a cheaper more price appealing model when the NES was being phased out. Same thing with the Genesis 2 (No headphone jack and different sound chip) and 3 (no expansion slots), NES2 (No AV, less shielding, no expansions), PSOne (no com ports, no reset button) PS2 (no Hdd port)and the like. Strip out features and repackage it. Yes it fixed something, as did other revisions but the real goal was to make a nice lower priced product.

AV function was removed because it wasn't as common and it's cheaper to do RF at that point. The RF shielding IS important because it makes more noise on the image displayed on the TV, it has nothing to do with the cartridge.

Yingyangathena

Jul 25, 2009
I owned a PS1 for a long time, then when we finally got the PS2 we were over the moon by the fact it was the DVD player and the gamestation all in one.
We never used any online function, and to me personally anyway, the PS2 just enhanced that vibe of local multiplayer together. When we got an XBOX, it was pretty 'meh', it saddens me to see that all the PS2 games I can get in my area is Singstar...

OT: I believe it helped to pave the way for better gaming and it will probably be better remembered for its more solid library of games.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Did they forgot the Xbox???? It came out the same time and have a dvd player as well......and was a better console IMHO.....

Onionman

Feb 23, 2010
It was the first console to be converted into a "full fledge" computer, if you bought the PS2 Linux DVD. And then PS3 came and it was able to do the same until they updated and took out that option lol (damn sony).

But the reason why it changed gaming was because a majority of people believe it had the best library of games out of any console in the 3d era (even today). I admit they were right though. Mainly because most of the games out today are just continuations of what was on the PS2/xbox franchises during that time (except Nintendo which has many franchises from even farther back to the nes and snes era)

But nowadays times have changed. A lot of the time the same game is released for all 3 consoles (and all 3 will become less unique from each other. Just look at all the motion controls popping up).

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Akalistos said:
Snotnarok said:
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:

Akalistos said:
It wasn't fixing it, it was making a cheaper more price appealing model when the NES was being phased out. Same thing with the Genesis 2 (No headphone jack and different sound chip) and 3 (no expansion slots), NES2 (No AV, less shielding, no expansions), PSOne (no com ports, no reset button) PS2 (no Hdd port)and the like. Strip out features and repackage it. Yes it fixed something, as did other revisions but the real goal was to make a nice lower priced product.

AV function was removed because it wasn't as common and it's cheaper to do RF at that point. The RF shielding IS important because it makes more noise on the image displayed on the TV, it has nothing to do with the cartridge.
In all honesty, I just quote someone i saw on the Internet about the NES 2 because i don't know jack shit about it. It could have been wrong. But the point is NEW, or add something. In that case, you could load the cart in and it would work much like the SNES. Side note here, isn't the RF Shielding the plastic "door" that you found in the cartridge slot of the Genesis?

Beside, the sound from the headphone jack was horrible. When i was a kid, i prefer muting the T.V. instead of using the headphone jack on the console.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Akalistos said:
Snotnarok said:
Akalistos said:
Snotnarok said:
Jkudo said:
Snotnarok said:

Akalistos said:

In all honesty, I just quote someone i saw on the Internet about the NES 2 because i don't know jack shit about it. It could have been wrong. But the point is NEW, or add something. In that case, you could load the cart in and it would work much like the SNES. Side note here, isn't the RF Shielding the plastic "door" that you found in the cartridge slot of the Genesis?

Beside, the sound from the headphone jack was horrible. When i was a kid, i prefer muting the T.V. instead of using the headphone jack on the console.
RF shielding is a metal inlay that protects the signals from outside/internal interference. The NES2 is hardly new since the Famicom (japanese NES) was a top loading unit at the time too. I get your point that it was newer but it took more than anything, many people agree the NES 1 is far better for many reasons.

The headphone jack was great on the genesis, it let you get stereo out of the system easily. Also it let me stay up later to play more Sonic, hell yes.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Wow I can't believe it's been ten years already and has left for itself a fine legacy to go on.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
The PS2 was the best console of all time, and the "firsts", or associated gimmickry/gadgetry, had nothing to do with it. It was all about the games.