Sony: PS2 "Forever Changed" Gaming

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Sales figures don't make the PS2 a good console by any stretch of the imagination. Shadow of the Colossus is the only truly good game for it that springs to mind.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
Agree fully with this, ps2 was so much fun and i still own mine from 2000, the best thing, it still works!! take that other consoles, long live the ps2, one of the all time biggest movers of the gaming industry.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
It definitely opened up the market for consoles. I'll always remember it for the huge wall devoted solely to it more than it's impact on CD/DVD and online though (despite the fact that due to the whole online thing, it brought about a rise in DLC in future consoles as well as the fact that I don't own a DVD player because both of my consoles and my computer can play one). Seriously, that's what mattered in my opinion. Games started to be less of a small section in the back of stores and more of a market.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I'd be happy to give them praise if PS2s didn't retail for $200AUD down here. >_>

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I had an original PS1 that I played on occasion (never could beat Rayman...). I loved playing it, but I was still fixated on sports and whatever kids at my age (6 or so?) were doing (thank you un-exercising!)

I still have my 9 year old PS2, still working like brand new to this day, and it was essentially where I seriously started to get into video games. Only up until the Ps3 days did I effectively get into the games, keeping up with the news and whatnot, but I still regard my PS2 days as my true entrance into the world of video games.

I had a few dozen games with it, many sold to GameStop at the time, and that's not counting the games I played on my friend's PS2s or borrowed from them.

Whatever your thoughts on the PS2, there's no denying that it really did change the game industry forever, just like how the NES/SNES did.

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
I would only go so far as to say that it was just a better PSX. I would give credit to the companies like Konami,Capcom, Namco,Square Enix, etc. for packing a lot of stuff into their software.

dangdiggityderek

Aug 8, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
I agree absolutely. So many awesome franchises started on PS2, and some franchises became even more popular then ever. The best console ever made and may the Gods of PC forgive me, but my favorite favorite game of all time is a PS2 exclusive (Metal Gear Solid 3).
hell yeah, that game is legit the best MGS ever.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Greg Tito said:
"When the platform launched back in October 2000, the industry was forever changed by the introduction of a device that came built in with a DVD/CD player and offered Internet connectivity and online gameplay for the very first time," Tretton said.
Wrong! In fact, Sega's Dreamcast was the first to offer online gameplay and the CD player was a feature in every PS1. So, the only truth here is that it offer a DVD player.

"The PS2 went on to introduce brand new entertainment formats, such as motion technology with the EyeToy and has broken several industry milestones, such as being the first game console to hit 50 million units in North America," he continued.
Nintendo invented the camera for the gameboy in 1998. The Eyetoy was late to the party.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sober Thal said:
So a copy of a PC changed gaming forever? What?

CD/DVD drive, online play for the first time? What?

I will say they did have the eye toy first, I think.
Yes we all know about the PC, this is for CONSOLES...not PC...CONSOLES. We all know PC gaming had online way before consoles did, but the PS2 did it first on consoles! Eesh! Read!

OT: Yeh i agree with this, defiantly changed console gaming in my eyes anyway.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
PS2 was totally awesome.

I'm surprised though, it's only been ten years. Technology has jogged on a bit since then, it seems like forever ago.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
It did, seriously, even the haters have to admit it.

Anyone who regularly goes on GamesRadar will have read recently the legitimate reasons why:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/six-reasons-the-ps2-is-the-best-system-of-all-time/a-2010102614844106037

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-top-7-things-you-didnt-realise-the-ps2-did-first-/a-2010101310025346074
I do love me some Gamesradar articles, and they've also started--and perhaps finished--a week long run of the yearly top ten games on the PS2, starting with 2000-2001 combined and up to 2006 when I last checked a few days ago.

EDIT:
Also, to the post by Jumplion, no one could beat Rayman, it's the natural order of things.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
yay playstation. I've lived with sony all my life, and when i tried playing on the xbox a few years back, i decided that i wouldn't that i wouldn't have had it any other way. long live sony! long live playstation!!!

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Akalistos said:
Greg Tito said:
"When the platform launched back in October 2000, the industry was forever changed by the introduction of a device that came built in with a DVD/CD player and offered Internet connectivity and online gameplay for the very first time," Tretton said.
Wrong! In fact, Sega's Dreamcast was the first to offer online gameplay and the CD player was a feature in every PS1. So, the only truth here is that it offer a DVD player.

"The PS2 went on to introduce brand new entertainment formats, such as motion technology with the EyeToy and has broken several industry milestones, such as being the first game console to hit 50 million units in North America," he continued.
Nintendo invented the camera for the gameboy in 1998. The Eyetoy was late to the party.
Didn't the Dreamcast flop?

And the Eyetoy wasn't a camera, how do you compare 2 completely different things?

Oh, and I still have my day 1 PS2, still runs perfectly, not to mention the odd 100+ legit games I bought for it.
PS2 was the highlight of my gaming life, sadly the PS3, 360 nor Wii has offered such an experience again. :/

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
"...offered Internet connectivity and online gameplay for the very first time..."

I thought this article was about the PS2, not the Dreamcast.

But I digress: yes, the PS2 had many great games. So did the Xbox. So did the Gamecube. So has every other game system ever. Okay, not all of them had many, but all of them had at least one or two.

If it weren't for the DVD capability, the PS2 would have been dead in the water, just like the PS3 would have been dead in the water were it not for the Blu-ray capability. People bought them and the great games came later; not the other way around, as Sony would have you believe. Sure, the PS2 has left behind a fine legacy and the PS3 will as well, but let's not pretend that it games aren't exactly the reason why so many people snatched either system up.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Alas... I have been gaming since 96' and the ps2 somehow managed to pass me by completely. I lived off the Gameboy until, my dad got me a dreamcast, Then a little bit of PC play until the original xbox... However at the end of this week I will have a ps2 for my flat and finally be able to enjoy it ^^

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
oreopizza47 said:
Stabby Joe said:

Anyone who regularly goes on GamesRadar will have read recently the legitimate reasons why:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/six-reasons-the-ps2-is-the-best-system-of-all-time/a-2010102614844106037

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-top-7-things-you-didnt-realise-the-ps2-did-first-/a-2010101310025346074
I do love me some Gamesradar articles, and they've also started--and perhaps finished--a week long run of the yearly top ten games on the PS2, starting with 2000-2001 combined and up to 2006 when I last checked a few days ago.

EDIT:
Also, to the post by Jumplion, no one could beat Rayman, it's the natural order of things.
That still doesn't ease my 7-year-old in me after many, many hours of falling down over and over and over again in the Music world or whateverthehell it was.

[sup]so many notes....they're everywhere![/sup]

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
Jumplion said:
oreopizza47 said:
Stabby Joe said:

EDIT:
That still doesn't ease my 7-year-old in me after many, many hours of falling down over and over and over again in the Music world or whateverthehell it was.

[sup]so many notes....they're everywhere![/sup]
Lies. The worst of it was that one early level, the jungle one with the Tarzan guy. I mean it's the beginning of the game, you expect what could be the second level to be easy. And then you drown. I vaguely remember some freakishly aggravating lava-levels right after the music stuff, and that was where I gave up. As I said, no one beats Rayman.