Sony: PSPgo's Failure Was a Success

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, and the Jaguar/Lynx/Nintendo Glove were such successes as well...?

Possibly Sony should have listened to customers main wants: Backwards Compatibility, Non-monopolising systems and a decent Sonic game again?

Or at least affordable?
Yeah, Sony seems terrible at listening to consumers. I remember someone at Sony saying "BC is what everyone's asking about, but it's not coming back" (paraphrasing from memory). Putting BC back in the PS3 would be a huge blow to their ego. They intended to remove BC from the very beginning. Why else would the PS2 chips that are in the original PS3's be completely idle while it's playing PS3 games? Just imagine what they could do if they let devs use the chips they already know how to program for, supplement the other processing. They probably could've used it to scale the video so gamers with 1080i only HDTV's could still enjoy HD gaming. Putting it back in would be accepting a HUGE "We told you so," from everyone.

(I got that info from an ardent PS3 supporter who is also a programmer, so I have faith it's correct.)

What do you mean by a "non-monopolising system"? The PS3 is more open than any console I know of.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Possibly Sony should have listened to customers main wants: Backwards Compatibility, Non-monopolising systems and a decent Sonic game again?
A decent Sonic game? How is Sony supposed to do THAT?! They don't make Sonic games, and the last time anyone who does make them made one that was decent was in 1994!

oranger

May 27, 2008
Bleh, every damn time I buy something new, an improved version is released making me kick myself for not waiting. I have like, no trust in these companies anymore.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Hey, if it means that we're that much farther away from purely digital distribution, I don't care how stupid they sound.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
I just wonder if they will continue to make them just in smaller numbers. I most likely will end up getting it once I get a 3000.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
I failed so hard, and horribly, it sucked and it wasn't funny. I are genius!
No one thinks like that, Oh wait, someone actually does!
Sony, you make a respectable monolith of a tough to develop console, and I love it, but stop being dumb. Please. While you're at it, convince someone to publish Heroes' Paradise, will ya? Not really, of course.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
the price tag probably pushed it way out of range for alot.

Also some careful looking would get you a 3000, and a 16 gig memory card. All the same storage and options, with the addition of umd.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They had a restrictive DRM ridden pile of shit that no one really liked.

HUGE SUCCESS.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
"One of the reasons we launched PSPgo was to understand where consumer behavior was going,"
^
This is why I believe Sony is run by a bunch of retards. All they had to do was listen to the public talk about the PSP Go for them to figure out it was going to flop. You run a poll before you blow the money. Its called research, and its generally cheaper than building a piece of shit, blowing millions on marketing, and then producing it not only before you have a plan but also before most people knew the damn thing existed.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them." -Thomas Jefferson

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
And here I thought denial was a river in Africa. Apparently, it runs right through Sony headquarters. Or they're all singing "Put on a happy face" from Bye Bye Birdie over there.

You know, I saw a fan design for a next-gen PSP: it was a damned sight better than the Go. Touch screen, two analog controls, folded up to be more compact than the original PSP, and a few other tricks too. That is something I would buy.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
...wait a second. Did they effectively say that the PSPgo was one big costly survey? How much money do these guys have?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
This
is
rich
---
Sony proves that they cannot make a handheld due to their inept management.

Nintendo wins the handheld war yet again.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Sparrow said:
...wait a second. Did they effectively say that the PSPgo was one big costly survey? How much money do these guys have?
Maybe the original purpose behind the PSP was to make targets for skeet shooting, and only later realized that they could sell them to people as game systems?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I believe this. Sony is a huge corporation. Did it really cost them much to repackage hardware and save on producing disk drives? Yes. They were probably learning about what they should do for the PSP2. Now they are put in a position where they KNOW people don't want all digital, but might still go that path, much like the iPhone. People don't complain about not having physical media for their iPods, why do they care, almost 10 years later, that their PSP doesn't have a disc? People are weird.

Personally, I'd get a PSPgo if it was cheaper, and the PSP2 wasn't on the horizon, because I hate misplacing my little UMDs.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Xzi said:
Aby_Z said:
Meh, I still don't regret getting my PSPgo. It's conveniant and nice and just plain works for me. I couldn't have asked for more.
Holy crap! Somebody who actually bought the PSPGo! Quick, someone grab him with a net, spray him with those preservative chemicals, and put him in a museum!
It's even rarer that I don't regret my decission to get the Go either. 'Tis a pitty, really; it's quite nice.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Irridium said:
Well... at least they're optimistic...
yesh.... exactly.. :/

OT:
So, if Sony is to be believed(i know, just humor me) this was not infact a complete flop, but a testing of the market. Well, it's bold, most companies would at-most push out a survey through game-related sources to gage the market. sony has taken the comsumer product test to another level, they went and released a whole platform which they were using as a market tester.

So IF Sony is to be believed, there just massive money wasters, instead of, say idiots. *shrug*