Sony Reminds Us: OMG! Girls (Sorry, Girlz) Play Games Too

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
The raging feminist in me nearly screams out in anger, but the insanity spawned from the stupid says: "OMG! I PLAY GAMES? I never knew that."

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Erana said:
If they hadn't had this stupid marketing campaign, the lilac PSP could have been the Kirby-type manly man's macho.
Kirby. Macho. These two do not correlate

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
This is a dirty dirty lie as every one knows there are no girls on the interwebs and girls dont play video games or at least they dont until they give me nude pics confirming they are not just really effeminate guys(made that mistake before and wasnt pleasant)

Ray De Ation said:
I am a girl: I will not rest until they market a titanium-reinforced gun-metal grey industrial-strength PSP with ground-to-air missile launcher attachments.
And they had *better* market it to girls.

thats what we call a unisex psp though id think a stainless steel psp would work better since every one loves shinny things but either way as long as the joystick is also metal id be happy just lost my psp to unfortunate circumstances involving my psp 1001 having its joystick ripped off

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
If Crisis Core is ever played on one of these i'll probably rip out my eyes with fury

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
Wow, another cliche overblown article about Sony marketing. Good work guys. But lets look at this like it actually is instead of sensationalizing it.

Now if readers watched Sony's E3 conference, they would have already known it was coming out, so good job not doing your job. Thumbs up.

ect.
Having an opinion is fine. But opinions can be expressed without bile and negative comments. To put it another way, say what you belive but don't insult others for disagreeing with your beliefs.

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
Remember, boys! Girls won't use anything unless it's colored pink or purple and about clothing, boys, or cute animals!

... BLEH.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
matnatz said:
shewolf51 said:
I'm a girl and I wouldn't touch that thing or any of those games with a 29 1/2 ft pole.
What about if I gave you a 29 and 3/4 pole?
Touché matnatz. 29 and 3/4 pole it is! But only if I'm allowed to play Silent Hill on it. If I'm forced to play any of the games mentioned in the article then the pole will have to be extended to a 72 and 8/10 mile long pole.

tsfkingsport

Mar 5, 2009
People, here is the thing, this is obviously marketed towards young girls, an untapped market. I think Sony is getting desperate and is attempting to replicate Nintendo's success by reaching out to a different audience. While things marketed to girls using stereotypes about women are offensive (I personally want to beat everyone who green lighted this idea) this type of marketing is done with men and boys all the time.

Sony is also not the first group to market products to girls in this fashion. I know why this is making some people on this site more angry then they would any other gender pandering girls product, like Barbie. I think it is because this represents a threat of irreversibly changing the culture surrounding gaming by populating it with not only teen and "tween" age girls but with the kind of young girls that would buy something just because it had the words "Hannah Montana" somewhere on the packaging. Honestly you could just switch PSP and the games with some other random product like the Bratz dolls(more offensive in my opinion) and it would just be another ad for this particular group of consumers. Basically this ad makes me a little angry, but lets keep this emotion in context.

Who knows, this might actually work and if Sony gets enough cash they may be able to drop the PS3 price a bit. Very wishful thinking but still its nice to think happy thoughts sometimes.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
I like the Lilac actually, but I really do not like Hannah Montana, and my PSP now already gathers dust.
Most of all I hate being pushed into a stereotype which makes me not want it even more.
Nintendo could you please make a lilac DS and market it just as a lilac DS? I would like that =)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I don't think I know a girl that would buy a purple PSP. They would rather somebody's eyes out if they'd found the guy responsible for this.

I suggest more pink flowers and ponies on the back of your PSP.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
OMG!!1!!one!1!! I've been waiting all these years and now finaly i can reet play gamzez, now thata sony has released a lilac version of the psp I don't already have, and stamped pictures of a devil spawn and it's logos all over it!!!! Thank you sony!!!

I think...

I think my brain just broke.

If I EVER act like that, I give everyone I know permission to beat me to a bloody pulp and chisle my knee-caps. It would be a deserving punishment.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I think I see a kind of genius behind this.
Sony arent fucked about marketing to girls that, may I point out, most likely dont have the money to be buying PSPs.
Sony are targeting the parents who are starting to think ahead to christmas.

Their website, as has already been stated, looks like a parents idea of what kids find cool, so thats what going to happen. Parents look at that site, think "Oh yeah, my kid likes pink thinks and Hannah Montana" and pick up a lilac PSP for christmas.

Obviously the alternative is that Sony has become fucking lazy.
But I like my theory better.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Obviously by gurl gaemerz, for gurl gaemerz. I mean, stereotypical girls love video games, right?

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Erm, isn't this fairly obviously aimed at YOUNG girls?

I don't see a problem. It's cute, don't get why everyone freaks when they see something that isn't bland colours and FPS's.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Why the hell are they marketing to one of the least stereotypical parts of the market with one of the most stereotypical products? It defies all logic.