IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
StewShearer said:
Charli said:
StewShearer said:
1337mokro said:
Sony is basically screaming as hard as it can. "WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT"

It's a good marketing strategy now that everyone is pissing on M$ so much that the PS4 looks like a fucking dream come true. Not mine of course, I am after all one of the master gaming race.
Neo Geo Pocket gamer, huh?
Pft those guys are nabs, real master race are gamers who recode their games to work on a fucking tamagotchi!
Psh... I play turn-based strategy games by doodling on napkins at IHOP. Truly I am the hardcore-est of them all!
Pfft. Tryhard. I do all the game design and programming IN MY MIND. Then I've got save states up in my BRAIN CLOUD. That's hardcore shit, yo.

Ahem. In other words, I'm a text-based roleplayer and moderator. Feel free to laugh me out of the room, now. Is there even a room to begin with?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
1337mokro said:
Sony is basically screaming as hard as it can. "WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT"

It's a good marketing strategy now that everyone is pissing on M$ so much that the PS4 looks like a fucking dream come true. Not mine of course, I am after all one of the master gaming race.
I am also a fellow master gaming race, but I'll be getting the PS4. Consoles have their uses, well except the XBone ofcourse :p

OT: I hope gamers get it through their head that the PS4 is not the xbox and hasn't gone down the anti consumer path, the number of times I've read someone say "xbox and ps4" when refering to blocking used games, always online etc, I feel like shooting them for not reading the facts.

RatherDull said:
Given how close to release the PS4 is, I think any decision regarding used games or required online connection is already set in stone.
Correct, and that stone is "No used game blocks and no always online". They have made it clear multiple times. As you said it'd be too late to change if it they didn't plan the system this way.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
My personal score card:

- One more point to Sony

- Minus a trillion to Microsoft.

Ooo it's going to be a tough one coming back from that loss, Microsoft!

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
My God, what a concept! A console designed for games and not watching TV!

I've got a crapload more X360 games than PS3, about 3 to 1. The PS3's awful, so arrogant launch really soured me. But this time it looks like the roles are reversed.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
It seems like Sony will have a hard time losing this generation's console race, considering what the others are doing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
WaitWHAT said:
*Ding ding!*

And the winner of this console generation iiiiiis.....
Me!
I'd like to thank the academy, God, and my family and friends for supporting me. Finally MAH FANS! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Good on you Sony for not being a dick against all odds.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It appears Sony will get away with anything and bind disappointed xbox players, just aslong as they say the right words only.
Console wars is a misnomer. I call it console politics.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
badgersprite said:
Remember when the PS3 came out and they marketed it as a blu-ray player? Lots of gamers use their PS3 to play blu-ray discs and DVDs, including me, but they bought it for the games first, and the added features gave it an additional purpose that we were quite happy to use because it saved us buying a blu-ray player. No non-gamer looked at the PS3, which was way more expensive than any blu-ray player, and decided they were going to buy it. Most non-gamers don't want a gaming console.
Actually, my friend got a PS3 solely for use a blu-ray player because it was cheaper. Of course, he got to play some cool games on it too.

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
badgersprite said:
I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't think most gamers want a purely gaming-only console, and nobody here thinks the PS4 doesn't also have the ability to play movies and TV and browse the internet and have apps on it and serve other purposes beyond video games (especially since the PS3 already does all of that). But gamers want a gaming console with multimedia features as an addition that supports its primary functionality of playing games - that is, making an already attractive gaming console more functional - and not a multimedia box that also plays games as an afterthought. Sony isn't changing their tune here at all.
Listen, most people out there have a computer right now. At least, those that would be interested in buying a game console. (Most, not all, I know.) I have a computer TO DO all of that non-gaming stuff. I use my computer to browse the internet, watch DVDs, do my social media (though my phone covers that more anymore).

I don't want a game console to do that. You know what I want my game console to do? Play games. That's it. Nothing more. This is the reason I still go back and play my Dreamcast, GBA, Gamecube, and PS2 on a regular basis. They knew how to not suck at what they were.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well yeah, that's checkpoint one on the list of things they can quite easily do to trump Microsoft without any effort. Good on you Sony. Just fly straight.

Personally, some people may have been happy with the Xbone were it primarily a games console that is also a multimedia centre, but I don't particularly care at all about multimedia. I have a computer. Playing Blu-Rays is nice and all, but for music and everything else, I probably don't want to power up my console.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Aslong as the PS4 doesn`t have less features than the PS3 i`m fine with Sony. Having a browser is nice and using it for movies and music is allright. What i don`t need and want are a tv-station and getting paranoid from being watched by Kinect.
My only concern with the PS4 is the price tag since i won`t be able to spend 599bucks (amazon preorder price) and that i´m still waiting for bad surprises from their side. Atm it all sounds allmost to good to be true.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sony learned from it's mistakes with the PS3. And Microsoft didn't even pay attention to the mistakes of their competitors. They're about to get burned.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Right now Sony's marketing guys have the easiest job in the world. Roll in at 9, release a statement saying that they are doing the opposite of what microsoft is doing, take the rest of the day off.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So is the xbone a gaming machine. If it plays games then its a gaming machine. Sony are now just sounding retarded. Might as well say that a smart phone isnt a phone even though regardless of what it does, you still use it as a phone. Same way you can use a PC for gaming even though that isnt its primary function. If you have an Xbone, and just use it play games, then its a gaming machine.

Wait till E3, Sony is gonna bomb.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MrWunderful said:
Kupo!

Yeah you pose an excellent point. It really all comes back to microsoft, not stressing that the Xbox one is a gaming console with all this other cool stuff added on. They tried to focus on the superfluous stuff instead- Most likely to garner up more sales from casuals already looking for a media device.
Yeah that's exactly the problem, I'd call myself a "core" gamer and one of their targets for early adoption sales, and the issue there is that I expect the thing to play DVD's and netflix and whatever, but I'm staying up late to watch a reveal for a console and that was the market they needed that reveal to appeal to. Simply put Sony's presentation wasn't perfect but it appealed to that core audience much more effectively, by showing a variety of titles that actually looked next-gen and talking about development and the hardware.

The reveal needs to hit the right corporate selling points and strike the right notes with the people who are likely to pay launch day prices. It sadly didn't and Microsofts inability to either confirm or deny anything is only weakening their position, I'll sure as hell keep an eye on their E3 news but I'm gonna be paying more attention to Sony and Nintendo throughout the thing.