Sony Says PS4 is "First and Foremost" a Game Console

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
As long as Sony doesn't do anything to screw the pooch at E3 and neither Nintendo or Microsoft pull off a Hail Mary play to win back the fans, then Playstation looks ready to reclaim its crown in the console wars.

The ball is in your court, Sony. Make it count.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Well they've already tried motion controles and all in one entertainment center, so all they have to do is just keep doing what they're doing.
They do seem to have gone down all the roads that lead nowhere don't they? ^^

If they did learn from their mistakes then the PS4 might indeed do better than the PS3 did.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Gregg Johnson said:
badgersprite said:
I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't think most gamers want a purely gaming-only console, and nobody here thinks the PS4 doesn't also have the ability to play movies and TV and browse the internet and have apps on it and serve other purposes beyond video games (especially since the PS3 already does all of that). But gamers want a gaming console with multimedia features as an addition that supports its primary functionality of playing games - that is, making an already attractive gaming console more functional - and not a multimedia box that also plays games as an afterthought. Sony isn't changing their tune here at all.
Listen, most people out there have a computer right now. At least, those that would be interested in buying a game console. (Most, not all, I know.) I have a computer TO DO all of that non-gaming stuff. I use my computer to browse the internet, watch DVDs, do my social media (though my phone covers that more anymore).

I don't want a game console to do that. You know what I want my game console to do? Play games. That's it. Nothing more. This is the reason I still go back and play my Dreamcast, GBA, Gamecube, and PS2 on a regular basis. They knew how to not suck at what they were.
I'm inclined to agree with you, because it's mostly how I feel too, but it's perhaps worth considering that our opinion no longer reflects the majority.

Hell, if the PS3 couldn't do it, I'd never have started buying Blu-Rays and I wouldn't have signed up for Netflix because watching on my laptop screen or going through the hassle of connecting my laptop to the TV and then running the laptops sound through my DVD player...it's just not worth it. With the PS3 I can go into Netflix and have hundreds of great shows and (mostly average) films at my disposal in seconds; it's a brilliant feature that I couldn't get as conveniently anywhere else.

That being said, while the multimedia aspects of the PS3 really can be very useful, they aren't what should sell a console; it should always be about the games.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Timmey said:
Agree with most of what you say but you have to realise those figures are place holders, those are NOT the price of the consoles.
Of course, but there's a reason why they chose those figures. It's a bad decision to price your system too high because consumers will be upset when they see them. It's bad to make the price too low or the real price will shock potential consumers away because they feel lied to.

So that price is either close or it is serving a purpose. If it's close then the system is pretty darn expensive. If it has a purpose then it may be to lure Sony into thinking they're safe to charge more than they were going to for their system.

Gaming consoles have a history of announcing crap like this to screw with their competition. It also has a history of ruining the companies that try them. Remember when Sega tried to pull that with their Sega Saturn release date? They announced that it would be available on September 2th, 1995. This "tricked" Sony into announcing their PS1 release would be on Sept 9th.

Then, come May 11th at E3, Sega suddenly announced that their system would be available as of that day and that consumers should run out to buy them "now". This so confused the market and customers that the system didn't even sell 80k units by the time the ps1 was released and the ps1 sold over 100k in the first weekend. This and not the dreamcast was the death blow to Sega (they lost $268 million and had to lay off 30% of their workers). It just took them awhile to bleed out. They sold less than 10 mil units worldwide and only around 2 mil in the US (Their Sega Genesis had sold more than 40 million with more than 22 million sold in the US).

This attempt at misdirection is more prevalent than you may realize. Everything they release is carefully combed over like a chess move. Only here Microsoft looks like they're sacrificing their Queen because she said something snarky rather than sacrificing to get something more beneficial.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I do love how Sony's got such good press right now. It's as if people have completely forgotten about the fact they removed an advertised feature of their console (other OS) and also stored people's details in plain text files, which made them easily accessible during the whole hacking thing.

Meh, companies can do anything they want these days. I'm not judging honestly, I still have my PS3 haha.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
WaitWHAT said:
*Ding ding!*

And the winner of this console generation iiiiiis.....
Me!
I'd like to thank the academy, God, and my family and friends for supporting me. Finally MAH FANS! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

can i just say this may be one of the best posts ive ever seen

On Topic

Well it seems like Microsoft really is just helping out Sony. i mean when you get good publicity by saying your games console can play games then your competitor really just isnt trying

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
spartandude said:
Evil Smurf said:
WaitWHAT said:
*Ding ding!*

And the winner of this console generation iiiiiis.....
Me!
I'd like to thank the academy, God, and my family and friends for supporting me. Finally MAH FANS! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

can i just say this may be one of the best posts ive ever seen

On Topic

Well it seems like Microsoft really is just helping out Sony. i mean when you get good publicity by saying your games console can play games then your competitor really just isnt trying
Oh a fan? Let's have a photo
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/624661/624661,1282634796,5/stock-photo-group-of-friends-taking-picture-with-mobile-phone-59672041.jpg

OT: Sony will have a hard time stuffing this opportunity up.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
TelHybrid said:
I do love how Sony's got such good press right now. It's as if people have completely forgotten about the fact they removed an advertised feature of their console (other OS) and also stored people's details in plain text files, which made them easily accessible during the whole hacking thing.

Meh, companies can do anything they want these days. I'm not judging honestly, I still have my PS3 haha.
Not sure why the second OS would matter when they have an additional processor dedicated for updates. Is there a reason you'd like another OS and did they actually promise one for the PS4?

That network thing was certainly troublesome but they didn't store them that way in plain site. They had them encrypted and locked away but some hackers saw fit to bring them down and did so. If you really want to get into a network you can. Show me a network that calls itself unhackable and I'll either show you pictures of the Titanic (the unsinkable ship) or a picture of a computer that isn't plugged into the internet. The larger the network the easier the target because you just need to gain access to one machine on the network to start monitoring traffic that can get higher profile usernames and passwords for getting to some real stuff.

That being said, we are placing some trust in Sony that they did appropriately firm up their network as best as possible. Seeing as they haven't been hacked for years after it was brought back up we can assume that is true. However, I no longer personally use cards on the PSN. I use gift cards. In any event, it should also be noted that the network service is free.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Well the PS3 was an affordable Blu Ray player at the time so I suppose you could sell the multimedia thing better, but frankly the Xbone isn't doing what my PS3 already can do. Seeing as how we can purchase PlayTV here in Aus it essentially does everything Xboxes presentation said it did, minus the OBSERVING YOU AT ALL TIMES.

Here's hoping they bust out some more exclusives at E3 or something, inFAMOUS is great, but I need another Ratchet and Clank or something. Start shoving money at Insomniac again to make Overstrike for the PS4, and make it about Spies goddammit.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
StewShearer said:
Charli said:
StewShearer said:
1337mokro said:
Sony is basically screaming as hard as it can. "WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT"

It's a good marketing strategy now that everyone is pissing on M$ so much that the PS4 looks like a fucking dream come true. Not mine of course, I am after all one of the master gaming race.
Neo Geo Pocket gamer, huh?
Pft those guys are nabs, real master race are gamers who recode their games to work on a fucking tamagotchi!
Psh... I play turn-based strategy games by doodling on napkins at IHOP. Truly I am the hardcore-est of them all!
Forget that, TI-84 Calculator all the way

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
well sony at least recognizes that a game console is for playing games, so thats one advantage they have over microsoft. its decent evidence that they arent gonna make the same calibur of mistake, but im sure theyve got some sneaky tricks up their sleeves...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Can you imagine this kind of thing in other industries? What if Porsche and Ferrari were about to launch their latest small penis compensators and Ferrari felt the need to make a statement about how the new Ferrari Spaghetti 9820-i Sport GT also went forwards and backwards whilst the Porsche Ravioli GT Sport Turbo was more of a multimedia device.
It's easy to imagine. Have you ever heard the story of how and why Lamborghini started to make sports cars? They were a Tractor manufacturer. The owner, a successful businessman who like Ferrari's happened to have a meeting with the President of Ferrari. In the meeting he indicated that the Ferrari's were excellent cars, except for a flaw he saw in the clutch. Instead of paying attention to a valued customer, the Ferrari boss declared 'Well you may know how to drive a tractor, you obviously have no idea how to drive a Ferrari!" (In other words "Deal With It!"). The Laborghini President went home pissed, and immediately started making sports cars.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
"Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute. Hold it. W-wait a minute. Y-you gotta understand, man. I-I never even saw these assholes before...You gotta tell 'em you don't know me. We never met. Tell him."

-Ashley James "Ash" Williams, Army of Darkness

Just to distance themselves as much as possible from Microsoft's approach. People at Sony must be laughing their asses off right now.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
StewShearer said:
1337mokro said:
Sony is basically screaming as hard as it can. "WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT"

It's a good marketing strategy now that everyone is pissing on M$ so much that the PS4 looks like a fucking dream come true. Not mine of course, I am after all one of the master gaming race.
Neo Geo Pocket gamer, huh?
What are you on? The real gamer plays Dreamcast VMU games.

Also, Sony is looking very competitive at the moment.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Something I would like someone to check, because this thought has been nagging me for a while. Could someone note down any similarities between the PS3 and the Xbone reveal?

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
Lightknight said:
TelHybrid said:

Not sure why the second OS would matter when they have an additional processor dedicated for updates. Is there a reason you'd like another OS and did they actually promise one for the PS4?
And I have absolutely no idea what having a "processor dedicated for updates" has anything to do with them removing the ability to put Linux on our PS3.

This post makes you sound like one of those guys that thinks he can talk computers even when he doesn't know anything about them.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
RatherDull said:
If you want to reassure us, just come out and say you aren't blocking used games and won't do always online.
Fairly sure Sony has already said both those things.

In other words, they're pissing all over Microsoft without even trying.