Sony Says the "M" Words About PSN Again: Monthly Fees

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
As long as I can still play movies from my computer and download games I'll be cool. I could give 3 shits about online play and Home.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I can deal with being without demos, it would piss me off though if i had to pay to access online play, but seems this isn't the case. I'd be interested to see how this 'premium content' definition develops.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
just so long as I don't have to pay to download demos... that's about all I use it for anyway.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Dudeakoff said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Dudeakoff said:
What the hell is 'premium' content?
The same stuff you need a gold account to get on XBLA likley- shiny new demo's, exsclusive wallpapers, etc.

Whenever a new demo or a new game comes out on XBLA, alot of times you need a gold account to download it for the first few weeks.
Paying for demos? That's almost as bad as paying for the avatar clothes on the 360.
I have never paid for a demo. Timed exclusivity is different from actually paying for it. And there's enough basic avatar clothing to never need to actually buy any unless you really want to and even then it's dirt cheap. This is my personal experience speaking and your mileage may vary. I don't necessarily agree with them charging for the avatar stuff either but there's lots of places online that do that so it's hard to fault them alone.
I just don't see why people would pay for Xbox live gold if not for the online play. All that would seem to do is piss off consumers by making what they have now worse for no reason except money grabbing. Of course, the Sony guy might be referring to new content on the horizon, but I don't see anything past, say, restricting certain new areas in Home.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
You see this? This is my wallet and in it are my money. You will never get this! You will never get this!

...Unless one day you get out of cage and get this :S

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I'm sorry to take issue, but I think you can read his words in another way:

We can also accept payment in a growing number of ways. In addition to single-payment packaged software, there are also schemes like monthly fees or per-item charges. I think this variety of payment methods will bring about a diverse range of playing methods, too.
Monthly fees could be TITLE SPECIFIC, i.e. MMO style. Note that the statement seems to be targeted at the software, title-oriented, not the network. There's nothing in those statements that seem to indicate the WHOLE PSN will come under a fee, or even tier itself like XBL.

Also, per-item charges ALREADY EXIST, on both networks. Did you download a Pirates of the Caribbean Sackboy costume for $1.99 or order the film editing pack for Skate2? Yeah, that's the same thing and in no way construable as a "monthly fee for PSN". As such, it indicates nothing about any future need to purchase PSN time.

There's also an excluded portion here. This sentence is in the original interview, right between the quoted parts:

We expect to see considerable growth in digital content, such as game download services, avatar items and the like.
Content focused response. No talk of the NETWORK requiring a fee. No indication that he's talking about anything that wouldn't be title specific. This could include a fee for dedicated servers as an option above free, non-dedicated servers. It could indicate paying to get a God button. It seems reasonable to conclude this may mean the use of alternate streams of revenue to pay for the online services INSTEAD of direct monthly fees. There's nothing there to forcefully conclude that "PSN Gold" is a "sooner or later" affair.

My main beef is with the first graf of the article. They _did_ use the monthly fees term, but a closer reading of the interview's actual statements does NOT indicate these fees are for the whole PSN or that it's a "sooner rather than later" issue. In fact, he's indicating that there are several options to reduce the follow-on operational costs of a title. ONE is subscriptions, and those subscriptions seem to have been left in the title domain, not the whole network. Just because they have it on the table shouldn't immediately validate the assumption that fees are a done deal, as the first paragraph seems to strongly argue.

Time will tell, certainly. I just don't think this language predicts a PSN Gold Membership level anytime in the next year or two. And no matter what, at least streaming Netflix will most likely always be free on PSN. Natch.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
This is unclear and I'm still not that fussed. I reckon the subsidy the Microsoft get from the Live service is helping secure exclusives. As long as SONY use my moderately small online subscription for good I'm alright with it.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Someone already said it, but I'll echo it. As long as I do not have to pay 50 dollars a year to access the store to get new games, I do not care about it.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
malestrithe said:
Someone already said it, but I'll echo it. As long as I do not have to pay 50 dollars a year to access the store to get new games, I do not care about it.
What company would charge you money to be able to to buy things from them? The only reason I could think you're saying this is because you assume Microsoft is doing this on Xbox Live. That's not the case - you can use a non-paying Silver account to buy games and DLC.

I would guess that Sony will start adding expanded features that require some sort of membership level, just like Microsoft has with Netflix, last.fm, Facebook, and twitter. The first candidate for this will probably be universal voice chat, since that can come with some hefty overhead.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I play for free, premium dlc can go ahead and suck in a dead goat's wee.

Yeah. I do not care for premium packages as long as playing is still free. I have had the console for 2 years and have never bought anything online. So no prob.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
I'm rapidly losing what little respect I have left in reserve for Sony. At this rate, I might as well just switch to PC and play what I like without being cramped in a shitty little P2P prison.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
malestrithe said:
Pretty much the same feeling here.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Virgil said:
malestrithe said:
What company would charge you money to be able to to buy things from them? The only reason I could think you're saying this is because you assume Microsoft is doing this on Xbox Live. That's not the case - you can use a non-paying Silver account to buy games and DLC.

I would guess that Sony will start adding expanded features that require some sort of membership level, just like Microsoft has with Netflix, last.fm, Facebook, and twitter. The first candidate for this will probably be universal voice chat, since that can come with some hefty overhead.
Uh. No. I honestly do not care about how much Microsoft is asking for. 50 dollars was the first value that popped into my head. It could have easily been any other number value.

Believe that or don't.