Sony Still Unsure About Credit Card Leak on PSN

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
danpascooch said:
Trogdor1138 said:
Donnyp said:
So....In the attack from Anonymous they stole the information from random people all over the world.....yeah they really are trying to help their cause of....not being douches i really have no idea why they do anything.
It wasn't "Anonymous" people! Where on earth did you get this idea? It's just speculation, they have no damn reason to attack and do something like this, nor would the average person have the skills to do so. This is something much different.

Also, thanks Escapist for not bringing the Anon thing into another article, I was getting tired of the constant "It could be Anonymous because blahblah".

I will be looking forward to the PSN coming back online :)

inb4 Console war fanbo- Oh wait, nevermind...
I don't think it was Anon either, but you can't possibly argue that they have no reason to do this, they did just announce they were going after Sony after all.

But still Motive does not equal proof, I don't think Anon did this.
They already said it wasn't them, they said they'd stop doing it etc. Of course this is the majority. Since Anon can't really be defined properly. People don't seem to understand how it works. So it very well could be some "Anonymous members" but not the Anon that people think it is, if that makes any sense.

I'm just tired of the baseless accusations going around about this from people who have no fucking clue.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Another reason (as if I needed one) to stay the hell away from the PS3. This is just terrible.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
McHampton said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
This seems like a good time to go buy an XBox.
My Xbox went all red ring the same day PSN went down. Time to go buy a Wii?
The Wii has Smash Bros. Brawl, that alone is a great wealth of content :p It's a good system.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8946.html reports service will be back Tuesday evening at the earliest and next weekend at the latest. I can wait that long.

Thank god I do my PSN prepaid...

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I wonder how much of an impact this will have if it turns out this data has been compromised. Up until now, the platform has been safe with personal information (unless you run an extremely dodgy CFW).

Losing that trust could really hurt third-party developers on the PSN. They're the ones who are getting screwed over by this, not Sony (as much).

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
daltonlaffs said:
"Promptly"?

This happened a WEEK ago! Are you seriously telling us that you haven't put any effort whatsoever in this entire WEEK to check on your customers' personal data? You know, the financial information of millions of people that they trusted you to keep safe?

I haven't even heard that it might have been compromised until right now. Sony has been hiding this shit, apparently, all week. Anyone with payment into on PSN, watch your cards carefully, maybe you can sue Sony for endangering your funds by not telling you about the leak earlier if you lose anything.
You should pay more attention to the wording of their announcements if you think this was hidden and didn't have any clue about it.

The update that was posted on the 22nd (2 days after they went offline) stated there had been an external intrusion into the system and in order to verify the security of the network they (Sony) took the servers down. Notice, they took the servers down to prevent any further access to the network, not some hackers pulling a DoS attack, and it was to check on the safety of the information.

As far as I can guess there is no other reason why sony would pull down the servers other than to attempt to protect the information held. It's why I've been amazed at all the people screaming to be let back online, I'd rather the psn stay down a longer if it means they can put more measures in place to protect my financial data which is stored there.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Ha! I knew buying fuck-all off of PSN in the 2 years I've had one would pay off some day, but on the other hand half my friends will most likely have their credit card information details taken, leading to
mireko said:
making sure you aren't mysteriously buying cars in Hong Kong.
yeah that

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hahahaha! Just keep digging yourselves deeper, Sony. You lied about why it was down for half a week (to the point there I'm not convinced that you're even telling the truth now). Now you say, almost a fucking WEEK after the attacks, that the attacker may or may not have gotten credit card information. Maybe that was something you should have mentioned when this shit started? If they did get credit card info, you just gave them about a week to go buy stuff on other people's dime. Seriously, can you possibly find a way to treat your customers any more poorly at this point?

On the plus side, I'm glad I always took the extra time to go into my account settings and delete my credit card info from my account after every PS Store purchase. Have fun worrying about identity theft, everyone who told me I was being too paranoid and should just leave it in there because PSN is totally secure.

Sir John the Net Knight said:
This seems like a good time to go buy an XBox.
I already found a new friend request on my 360 last Saturday from a PS3 fanboy (his words, not mine; he even put them in his Xbox Live profile) who was sick of not being able to play online. I wonder how many more will show up before this ends.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
I'm starting to think none from outside had to do with it. I can't believe someone from 'outside' could do this much damage to a professionally administrated network. Just impossible.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
lol, they will "promptly inform users" if they find out that credit card info was leaked?

"Um, yeah it's been 3 weeks and we finally have the PSN back in working order... you remember when it went down? Yeah apparently everyone's credit card info went public. Sorry about that."

Sony can promptly kiss the darkest part of my ass.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Gizmo007666 said:
You should pay more attention to the wording of their announcements if you think this was hidden and didn't have any clue about it.

The update that was posted on the 22nd (2 days after they went offline)
You should pay more attention to the timing of their announcements and your own wording. They didn't admit to what caused PSN to go offline for TWO DAYS. Even if they had shared this information on the possible credit card leak then instead of another 3 days later, that still would have been two days too late. That's two days that people just thought it was down due to some other kind of normal network problem, and two days that the attackers could have been doing things with any CC info they may have gotten. They should have told people IMMEDIATELY what was going on, not bullshit around for 2 days before saying why they shut things down, and then bullshit around for 3 days before reminding people "Oh yeah they might have got your CC info, we don't know; just wanted to throw that out there."

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Well, I own a 360 (still despise a lot of the "decisions" M$ likes to make..) but don't own a PS3. The only PSN-related console I have is my PSP and I only rarely purchase DLC, etc from there.. I have a debit card anyway (not credit), and my bank automatically blocks suspicious transactions and calls me about it before unblocking it.

Besides, I'm not exactly what one would call "rich", so if anyone did gain access to my bank account, they wouldn't find much.

That said, I honestly don't understand why Sony is getting blamed here.. Yes, they neglected their customers safety of money, etc, but most companies do that kind of shit as well! It's been reported as an attack, which Sony couldn't have seen coming. Hackers have their ways of getting through anything. May not be Anonymous, but could totally be a splinter/renegade group who are butt-hurt about the GeoHotz case settlement and wanted "sweet, sweet revenge". The fuckers need to be found and dealt with. Permanently.

mjc0961 said:
Gizmo007666 said:
You should pay more attention to the timing of their announcements and your own wording. They didn't admit to what caused PSN to go offline for TWO DAYS. Even if they had shared this information on the possible credit card leak then instead of another 3 days later, that still would have been two days too late. That's two days that people just thought it was down due to some other kind of normal network problem, and two days that the attackers could have been doing things with any CC info they may have gotten. They should have told people IMMEDIATELY what was going on, not bullshit around for 2 days before saying why they shut things down, and then bullshit around for 3 days before reminding people "Oh yeah they might have got your CC info, we don't know; just wanted to throw that out there."
Really? So you assume that after a malicious hacker attack, people are meant to know HOW/WHY/WHAT happened immediately? Bullshit. If the system gets taken down hard, it gets taken down hard. I highly doubt that Sony (or ANY big-name company, for that matter) would hide that kind of important shit. They announced many times that it was just.. Down. Gone.

Sigh.. Do you have the same reaction towards your electricity company when power just goes out and there's no explanation from the company because THEY are trying to work it out too? Ugh.. Hell, with the so-called reports of solar flares next year that could wipe out power globally, I won't be surprised if you're bitching about it and blaming it on "human error"..

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
mjc0961 said:
On the plus side, I'm glad I always took the extra time to go into my account settings and delete my credit card info from my account after every PS Store purchase. Have fun worrying about identity theft, everyone who told me I was being too paranoid and should just leave it in there because PSN is totally secure.
Dammit, why didn't I think of that! If any personal data has been stolen, sony is going to have a lot of pissed off people to explain it to.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
danpascooch said:
If they were "unsure" of this they should have told their users fucking immediately so that they could cancel their PSN linked credit cards if they wanted to. Way to potentially give identity thieves a weeks head start Sony!

If I had a credit card on PSN and had my identity stolen over this, I would totally sue Sony for not announcing the potential for stolen financial data earlier.
danpascooch v. SCEA. I can't wait. Years from now, law professors will be assigning the landmark danpascooch case to their law students as required reading.

rockoffanddie

Apr 8, 2009
would people please stop using this situation for the purpose of starting flame-wars, it is moronic, and the majority of people are sick of it. it will never be won by either side so grow up or fuck off.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
TehIrishSoap said:
Wow, this is like Die Hard 4..... Except this situation isn't great fun to watch.
http://www.rustylime.com/content_images/penny_arcade_die_hard.jpg

Lol Capcha: Gentlemen, Classic XD

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
rockoffanddie said:
would people please stop using this situation for the purpose of starting flame-wars, it is moronic, and the majority of people are sick of it. it will never be won by either side so grow up or fuck off.
THIS. THISTHISTHIS. SO MUCH THIS IT ISN'T EVEN FUNNY. HOLY FUCK. THIS. SO HARD.

....No, seriously. People need to shut their fucking mouths. It was AN ATTACK. You don't expect an attack when you're working on giant releases that weekend, which also happens to be the EASTER HOLIDAYS.

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Gizmo007666 said:

Yeah I know it was two days after and this info should have been released as soon as possible, my point was that it wasn't "Sony hiding this shit all week" as the original quoted post had claimed, besides I might as well point out that on top of cc info they may well also have your name and address along with all the other information you have to provide when signing up to psn, all making it easier to steal our identities.

All Hail Lelouch

Feb 5, 2010
Ten bucks says this a Publicity Stunt conspired between Geohot and Sony in their "Settlement"

George destroys the PSN and Sony gets to build it back up better than ever.