Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Its much easier to blame anonymous than to admit they screwed up, BIG TIME! ... Denial of Service attacks end when they are ended. It'll be another 2 days? Either some equipment failed or someone internally really screwed something up.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Apparently, the problem's in Japan.

Source [http://26star.com/profiles/blogs/psn-signin-problem-due-to].

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.
I thought it was something like that when I first heard the news that psn was down. Sony is incompetent enough to do this to themselves.

First of all, if it was Anonymous, not only would they have admitted it but they probably would've even given us a warning.

But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves... like they did when it was last Leap Year and a similar thing happened.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!
Hmm... and every copy of Portal 2 on PS3 can unlock a version on Steam.

So this blackout would drive many PS3 users to try playing Portal 2 on Steam on their PC.

And Sony suggest a third party may be responsible;

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I was told about this by a friend only a hour ago. They chose a good weekend to screw up.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Meh, I can't say that I'm worried. I've just been playing through Motorstorm and Killzone 2 so I don't really need online for now. And web browser still works so I can still watch videosþ

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Oh noo, people might have to find something else to do for a few days.. Seriously though, I have a friend who has an xbox, and he is into the whole console war thing. I have a ps3, but Im not an avid user, and when this happened a few months back he was all over this, like bees to honey. "ooh good service from your PSN there, network down for a day!" pfft..

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I thought it was something like that when I first heard the news that psn was down. Sony is incompetent enough to do this to themselves.

Snipped due to irrelevance.

But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves... like they did when it was last Leap Year and a similar thing happened.
Yes because rolling blackouts because of the sixth biggest earthquake ever recorded has nothing to with it. It's all Sony being incompetent and having crappy service...

Get over yourself man.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Really the only thing that sucks about this is Netflix requires me to be logged into the PSN to access it. I've gotten it for let me watch something once without being logged in, but now it outright refuses, and I don't like being locked out of a program I'm paying for.

That said, I'm not really angry about it. I understand that things happen, and they can take time to fix. Just kind of annoyed.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves...
I wouldn't call it Sony's screwup if Japan suffers a catastrophic natural disaster, nuclear meltdown and decimation of their energy infrastructure causing rolling blackouts.

The only way this is "their screwup" is basing some of their servers in the country where their business is actually based! Which no one can fault them for.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
im not going to say anything until anonymous confirms or deny's if this is an attack, sony would say anything to protect its image and the last thing they want people to do is view them similar to that church.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!
Pretty much this. No, exactly this.

This is also, in fact, the only weekend i'll get a chance to play portal 2 for a month, and I was looking forward to doing it on my pc.

Bah.

Edit: I actually haven't checked just throwing in the online code into steam first, since it said you had to sign into steam via ps3 first in the game box. So I'll have to try that, really, if I can just use this code and play portal 2 as normal, well...

I'm agreeing with you two. If it is Anonymous, then screw those guys. With a red hot steel cactus up the rectum. If it's just some stupid technical difficulties in Japan due to earth quake issues, then I wish them the best of luck coping with them over there. I don't mind Anonymous taking on groups like WBC who spew hatered and violence, but to knock out peoples' ability to enjoy their games just because some dumbass hacker is getting harassed by the company? Not cool.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
HankMan said:
Delusibeta said:
Apparently, the problem's in Japan.

Source [http://26star.com/profiles/blogs/psn-signin-problem-due-to].

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.
More likely the result of the rolling blackouts caused by the earthquake. Even <url=http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/focus/archive/2011/04/japan-data-center-counil-proposes-way-around-rolling-brownouts>data centers are being affected. Sony's just trying to make Anonymous look bad.
Nah, they already did that by fucking with Sony's customers.

Regardless of what is the reason for this, today was the first time in owning my PS3 for four years that I tried to use the online, and of course it's down.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Considering how anon said they wernt going to be attacking psn, as well as the fact that this has been going on longer than any anon DDoS attack i know of i feel this is something on sony's part.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
After reading the article yesterday, and the one today I have to ask this. When the hell did Sony ever directly say that anonymous was responsible? From what I can tell, the people writing the articles here are mentioning it as a possibility and everyone jumps to conclusions and thinks Sony said it.

-Samurai- said:
Really the only thing that sucks about this is Netflix requires me to be logged into the PSN to access it. I've gotten it for let me watch something once without being logged in, but now it outright refuses, and I don't like being locked out of a program I'm paying for.

That said, I'm not really angry about it. I understand that things happen, and they can take time to fix. Just kind of annoyed.
Netflix and system updates are actually still working. It's like there is some connectivity, but not much.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
i Blame Squirrels, but thats Normally My answer to Anything that doesn't make sense to me, Squirrels or Drugs
or Drugged up Squirrels..