Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Next, the hackers walked around punching people in the face. When people complained, the hackers explained "We don't want to hurt anyone. We're just exposing how ineffective the police force is. These people weren't wearing football helmets and mouth guards. They were just asking for it."

And it bears repeating:
Shycte said:
Criminals with cause are still criminals.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Tubez said:
This sucks for Sony but cmon... That is pretty much just asking to be "hacked"
"Officer, you don't understand. Did you see her skirt? She was asking to get raped."
"It's not our fault that guy walked into our neighborhood. He was asking to get curbstomped."
"That old lady left her purse in the shopping cart. She was asking for it to get stolen."

This is bullshit logic, and you know it. No-one "asks" for crime to happen to them, and it is not the victim's fault when some slack-jawed jackass with no respect for anyone except themselves decides to be a douche to everyone. Fuck these guys. Fuck Anonymous. Fuck Geohot. And fuck EVERYONE who thinks that this is somehow anyone's fault except for the fuckers who committed the crimes.

Sony is the victim of multiple crimes. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
Umm... just throwing this out there, but is it possible that Sony did this on purpose? Make one section full of fake accounts, allow it to be easily hacked, and wait and see who's hacking their system by monitoring it.

It'd be like police leaving an unlocked car on purpose and staking it out to catch car thieves.

Everyone seems to be saying that this was too easy. Maybe it was meant to be. Has anyone confirmed that these are legitimate accounts and information?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Sikratua said:
Tubez said:
This sucks for Sony but cmon... That is pretty much just asking to be "hacked"
"Officer, you don't understand. Did you see her skirt? She was asking to get raped."
"It's not our fault that guy walked into our neighborhood. He was asking to get curbstomped."
"That old lady left her purse in the shopping cart. She was asking for it to get stolen."

This is bullshit logic, and you know it. No-one "asks" for crime to happen to them, and it is not the victim's fault when some slack-jawed jackass with no respect for anyone except themselves decides to be a douche to everyone. Fuck these guys. Fuck Anonymous. Fuck Geohot. And fuck EVERYONE who thinks that this is somehow anyone's fault except for the fuckers who committed the crimes.

Sony is the victim of multiple crimes. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?
When you have been attacked which cause your network to be down for at least a month then maybe you should think about encrypting your data?

Just a thought.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I don't believe a thing that Lulzboat says :/ Sure they might have managed to hack a website, but actually taking info and such could be complete bullshit.

Honestly, it's just that with a name like Lulzboat you would think it's a group of 12 year olds, no self respecting person even uses language like that on the internet anymore. I bet they still call peoples noobs too, and replace o's with 0's.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Bullshit. Sony Pictures doesn't even have anything to do with SCEA. Hackers need to cut the shit.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Grey Walker said:
Umm... just throwing this out there, but is it possible that Sony did this on purpose? Make one section full of fake accounts, allow it to be easily hacked, and wait and see who's hacking their system by monitoring it.

It'd be like police leaving an unlocked car on purpose and staking it out to catch car thieves.

Everyone seems to be saying that this was too easy. Maybe it was meant to be. Has anyone confirmed that these are legitimate accounts and information?
An interesting theory you have put forth. This is the only situation that I can think of that has a good ending.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Tubez said:
When you have been attacked which cause your network to be down for at least a month then maybe you should think about encrypting your data?

Just a thought.
Well, since the statement of positive fact is that this particular hack "was easy," the burden of proof lies with the people who performed the hack. You guys are taking a lot of things completely on the word of the people who have already claimed to have stolen millions of people's personal information and posted that information on the internet.

Bluntly, I don't see how anyone with even a slight bit of common sense could just take a group of criminals at their word, unless they're allowing their own personal bias to cloud their judgment. What I see is some variant of "FOR GEOHOT!" being used as a battlecry by anyone who wants to defame Sony, in any way. Why the hell should I believe these people?

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
And they hope of accomplishing what? They got hack not long ago. They are just getting their shit together and they (Hackers) attack them again? For got sake, it's like beating a guy after he just got a heart surgery. It doesn't make you heroes, it make you a bunch of retard. Why not do it to someone else, like Microsoft for a change.
MurderousToaster said:
Sony.

You are shit. Seriously. It's now like any bored hacker can just think "Slow afternoon. I feel like stealing everyone's personal information on a site. I don't feel like a challenge today, so I'm just going to hack Sony."
Yeah, you are right... but for all the wrong reasons. You think it's easy to completely change a full database? It's easy for a computer, but not when there's million of info to deal with when the last system just got thrash. But, hey, some people get a sense of power for attacking handicapped people so why not.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
*Looks up from newspaper*

I?m sorry, this is still going on?
*Sigh*

Let me say this
FUCK HACKERS!

Now that I have that out of my system, I think I am good.
I only wish we could pool our money to hire some ninja assassins to kill these bastards. You can?t hack a ninja!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not a typically sweary person, but for fuck's sake.

You can highlight flaws in security without stealing one million people's personal information and posting it online.

"Howdy neighbour, your door was unlocked, so I thought I'd show you how unsafe you were being by breaking in and selling your furniture. We good?"

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Sikratua said:
Tubez said:

Just a thought.
Well, since the statement of positive fact is that this particular hack "was easy," the burden of proof lies with the people who performed the hack. You guys are taking a lot of things completely on the word of the people who have already claimed to have stolen millions of people's personal information and posted that information on the internet.

Bluntly, I don't see how anyone with even a slight bit of common sense could just take a group of criminals at their word, unless they're aloowing their own personal bias to cloud their judgment. What I see is some variant of "FOR GEOHOT!" being used as a battlecry by anyone who wants to defame Sony, in any way. Why the hell should I believe these people?
Meh I do not say this it alright and I must say my trust in corporations isnt a lot higher then my trust in criminals. Sadly I do not know enough about hacking and such so I do not know how easy this would be but with the information we got atm and with a quick googling that method they claim to use is very simple and the fact password was not encrypted is very bad imo.

BDNeon

Jan 14, 2009
Grey Walker said:

This is actually a good theory.

However, at least one news site did apparently follow up on one set of info from the stolen database and called the person who it was associated with, turned out to be genuine.

Granted that's one out of a million, but still.

diggy140892

Jun 4, 2010
"We didn't hack maliciously but we still posted all you're information online for everyone read and steal if they want. But we did it to help you because we are great guys."

I think thats the general gist of what the hackers are saying. Now yes Sony have poor security and I think that is inexcusable but these hackers seriously need to go and burn in hell for ever. I'm sick of reading about them and how they think they are doing us all a favour. They are not!! I hope these hackers get what they deserve soon.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Dexiro said:
I don't believe a thing that Lulzboat says :/ Sure they might have managed to hack a website, but actually taking info and such could be complete bullshit.

Honestly, it's just that with a name like Lulzboat you would think it's a group of 12 year olds, no self respecting person even uses language like that on the internet anymore. I bet they still call peoples noobs too, and replace o's with 0's.
And that would be why your not an FBI profiler :) ; Lulzboat is in reference to the 1977 TV show Love Boat. Which would suggest they are over 30 or have incredibly bad taste. However mentally, yes likely 12 or younger. But in general I kind of agree with you, horrible choice of name, and theme song. But if thats accurate atleast you know there will be jail time involved. And if they continue making runs ... well it will only be a matter of time until they strike ground.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Bakuryukun said:
Perhaps a better question than why we would put faith in sony is, WHY IN GODS NAME WOULD WE PAY YOU TO TAKE BREAK INTO PEOPLES PERSONAL INFORMATION TO PROVE A POINT?

I hate how hackers always talk so whimsically about what they do when they hack a site, like they think they are heroes or really cool Spanish gentlemen thieves or something.
They didn't "break into people's personal information", they just sodomized another one of SONY's "secure" systems... maybe the thing to take out of this is be more careful whom and what kind of information you give on the INTERNET, it can always come back to bite you.

For anyone wondering what a SQL Injection is, you basically know those "form-field" for instance on this forum where you put in your Username and Password and it checks against the database if there is such an user?
You basically just have to enter a SQL-command into it similar to "SELECT * FROM users WHERE name = '' OR '1'='1'" etc., there are different kinds of "Injections" but that is the basic jist of it and everyone that had a course regarding databases should know to check against it and invalidate any commands etc. or simply use escape Strings...

It's really simple stuff, you can look it up on Wikipedia for instance or Google it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection
http://www.tech-evangelist.com/2007/11/05/preventing-sql-injection-attack/

They didn't need to "Hack" anything, SONY basically handed em everything on a silver platter and begged for more...
That is assuming what they are saying is true. As a rule I don't believe thieves. They stole thousands of peoples personal info how the acquired it is of little relevance passed the fact that they stole it.

Edit: Yes the only thing we as consumers can take from this is be carefull about what you put online.