Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
Why are you defending a corporation that clearly fails to use the basic protection for their customers?
Why are hackers attacking Sony Pictures, a separate subsidiary that has nothing to do with the original inciting incident that started all this?

Probably cause it has Sony in it? Again why are you defending a huge corporation that cannot be bothered to encrypt its data when it has over one million users?

From what I am seeing, we are more so saying that we hate the hackers, rather than we are defending Sony.

And really, fuck hackers. Right up the rear.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
That is assuming what they are saying is true. As a rule I don't believe thieves. They stole thousands of peoples personal info how the acquired it is of little relevance passed the fact that they stole it.

Edit: Yes the only thing we as consumers can take from this is be carefull about what you put online.
They have no reason to lie, whereas SONY would have several.
Also they didn't do any of this for the money, they just did it for fun and humiliating SONY further or they wouldn't have put the data online.

I also find it funny that a lot of people seems to assume those people are from the US instead of Russia, Eastern Europe (Romania, Ukraine etc.) or Asia and that the "FBI" has any say in the matter.
Why are you defending the hackers... Just why...
Why are you defending a corporation that clearly fails to use the basic protection for their customers?
No, no, he actually makes a good point. Let's compare to the legal system. Just because the security guard was asleep at the museum, it's okay to go in and raid the place? That IS basically what you're saying. Besides, initially they were hacked by Anonymous, who hack the Pentagon for fun, so whether they were secure or not is moot. If you're being fired at by a tank, it doesn't even matter if you brought riot gear like you were ordered. Sure, blame Sony for not being secure. They messed up. But in no way does that make pilfering data an innocent thing. We keep looking at this from a hero-villain perspective, with Sony as the villain. Is it not conceivable that both parties are wrong?
Again when did I ever say that the hackers are doing something good?

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
Why are hackers attacking Sony Pictures, a separate subsidiary that has nothing to do with the original inciting incident that started all this?

Probably cause it has Sony in it? Again why are you defending a huge corporation that cannot be bothered to encrypt its data when it has over one million users?
Because these hacker shits are getting dangerously close to tampering with my livelihood, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not defending them, but I shouldn't even have to defend some unrelated Sony subsidiary because a few hackers don't have their shit together to know who they should even be hacking. Sony Pictures =/= SCEA. Why are they being hacked?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:

The same reason why you are defending the poeple attacking and stealing from them. duh. This isn't even "robin hood" anymore, its just a large group of assholes being dickheads.
When did I defend the hackers?

When did I ever say they are doing something good?

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Tubez said:
When did I ever say that the hackers are doing something good?
You've spent almost every one of your posts in this thread using a version of the "She asked for it" rape defense, to try to explain why this is all Sony's fault. And, hell, even after you asked this question, you continued to refer to the claims of the hackers, as if those claims were entirely factual.

I don't know about the web security of the Sony webiste that got hacked. Frankly, I don't care. Theft is wrong. Period. Yes, it really is a black and white matter. Sony is the victim, and the people who hacked them are the criminals. Those criminals are looking to profit from their crimes. I couldn't care less if the account information was on a single thumb drive, sitting in the glove compartment of the CEO's 1993 Geo Metro. Theft is a crime, and the thieves are responsible. Any questions?

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
So far LulzSec has attacked Sesame Street and innocent Sony customers. They're not hacktivists. They're not heroes. They're not anything good. They're little brats trying to grab attention (and apparently money!) by pretending to be Anonymous.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:

Because these hacker shits are getting dangerously close to tampering with my livelihood, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not defending them, but I shouldn't even have to defend some unrelated Sony subsidiary because a few hackers don't have their shit together to know who they should even be hacking. Sony Pictures =/= SCEA. Why are they being hacked?
I do not like hackers either considering what I will work with could be affected by hackers

As for the reason they attacked SCEA Is probably since it was a easy target and has Sony in it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:

Eh, LulzSec is pretty clear about their reason, that is, they don't have one.

Hell, they stole information from X-Factor's contestant database and published it. I barely even knew what X-Factor was before that! (It's a gameshow that has nothing to do with the X-Men)

Grickit said:
So far LulzSec has attacked Sesame Street and innocent Sony customers. They're not hacktivists. They're not heroes. They're not anything good. They're little brats trying to grab attention (and apparently money!) by pretending to be Anonymous.
I don't know why people keep saying this. LulzSec has repeatedly stated that they weren't Anonymous and calls everyone who says that they are Anonymous 'unresolved cow sharts' or something.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:
That is assuming what they are saying is true. As a rule I don't believe thieves. They stole thousands of peoples personal info how the acquired it is of little relevance passed the fact that they stole it.

Edit: Yes the only thing we as consumers can take from this is be carefull about what you put online.
Also they didn't do any of this for the money, they just did it for fun and humiliating SONY further or they wouldn't have put the data online.

I also find it funny that a lot of people seems to assume those people are from the US instead of Russia, Eastern Europe (Romania, Ukraine etc.) or Asia and that the "FBI" has any say in the matter.
No, no, he actually makes a good point. Let's compare to the legal system. Just because the security guard was asleep at the museum, it's okay to go in and raid the place? That IS basically what you're saying. Besides, initially they were hacked by Anonymous, who hack the Pentagon for fun, so whether they were secure or not is moot. If you're being fired at by a tank, it doesn't even matter if you brought riot gear like you were ordered. Sure, blame Sony for not being secure. They messed up. But in no way does that make pilfering data an innocent thing. We keep looking at this from a hero-villain perspective, with Sony as the villain. Is it not conceivable that both parties are wrong?
When you insisted Sony holds ALL the blame. You didn't say they did something good, you said they did nothing wrong, if not in words but in open implication.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
hmm..so, they expect Sony to do a COMPLETE overhaul of security measures at places like Sony pictures, before PSN is back up in full, or as they're fixing SOE? There's a reason the store isn't up yet, the security isn't ready.
And if they just wanted to call out sony, delete the info from their servers, and leave a note.
DON'T compromise "1,000,000" people to say that security is bad.
We kind of got that by now.

You know what? I still like sony. While the "hacker" community (read vultures) have decided that the "cool" thing to do is attack Sony are a bunch of idiots. And for a reason like this? You're not fooling anyone. You want street cred. It's like when you jailbreak an Iphone/pod. You're just reading a manual (everyone's posted how they broke past sony's security), not breaking new ground.
I feel bad for sony. They seem to have been the biggest and/or most public victim of this cyber terrorism. Poor guys.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Sikratua said:
Tubez said:
When did I ever say that the hackers are doing something good?
You've spent almost every one of your posts in this thread using a version of the "She asked for it" rape defense, to try to explain why this is all Sony's fault. And, hell, even after you asked this question, you continued to refer to the claims of the hackers, as if those claims were entirely factual.

I don't know about the web security of the Sony webiste that got hacked. Frankly, I don't care. Theft is wrong. Period. Yes, it really is a black and white matter. Sony is the victim, and the people who hacked them are the criminals. Those criminals are looking to profit from their crimes. I couldn't care less if the account information was on a single thumb drive, sitting in the glove compartment of the CEO's 1993 Geo Metro. Theft is a crime, and the thieves are responsible. Any questions?
Wow.

Since you couldnt point out where I did say the hackers did anything good I do not really see any point in trying to talk with you, but I will try to explain my view.

I do not believe they deserved to be hacked but according to the info we got which shows that they really failed with using basic protection against hackers which says to me that they do not really care that much and therefor I have a hard time feeling sad for them.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
CM156 said:
Tubez said:
rsvp42 said:
Tubez said:

From what I am seeing, we are more so saying that we hate the hackers, rather than we are defending Sony.

And really, fuck hackers. Right up the rear.
I do not like hackers either but some people are defending Sony in this thread.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
"Our goal wasn't to take anything, or be malicous, but we decided to take all the personal information anyways. Oh by the way you need to send us donations if you want us to hack more stuff for lulzeffect."

Are these guys for real?
Hacking for cash now?
Proving Sony is weak and their silly hacking group is good natured by stealing personal info?

Bravo.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
Nieroshai said:
Tubez said:
diggy140892 said:
Dexter111 said:
RoBi3.0 said:

When you insisted Sony holds ALL the blame. You didn't say they did something good, you said they did nothing wrong, if not in words but in open implication.
When did I insisted that Sony holds all the blame?

I do think Sony holds some blame considering they didnt even encrypt the passwords and such (According to the info)

But I do know that no system is perfect and good hackers will find a way but if the hackers did use the method they claimed to use then I do think Sony holds some blame.