SOPA Storms Back

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Lopsided Weener said:
Richardplex said:
Lopsided Weener said:
EvilChameleon said:
Good lord, time to move to England.
Don't move here, you'll just get extradited back by our idiot government.
You know, This could be the worst time and worst place to complain about the idiocy of our government, considering why the escapee is leaving.
Oh yeh, the Escapist servers are actually in the US arn't they? Looks like I'm screwed.
I was actually referring to the government debating this bill, and how this thread is about how moronic congress is being, but that works too.

excessum ado

Dec 27, 2007
This act is like the piss-easy boss at the end of any given Resident Evil that, after you've defeated it surprisingly easily, transforms into an enormous, bad-ass tentacled monster.

Unfortunately, unlike RE boss battles, this bill is not at all awesome.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I said it before and I'll say it again: just because the White House opposes something doesn't mean it won't come to be. In fact, I think the president's right to veto a bill is one of the most absurd and damaging features to American democracy. I say: put the bill up for a floor vote, let democracy work the way it was meant to.
But besides that, I'm a moderate SOPA supporter anyway, so to me this is actually moderately good news (and you don't get a lot of that in politics).

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
I'm either deeply misunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.
its only offensive to people that cant vote on this thing. and wrapping yourself in the American flag and shouting 9-11 will get over half of that dumbass country to vote for you.

Oktanas

Apr 16, 2009
Yeah like Americans don't pirate stuff. If I'm not mistaken Americans created torrent's and all stuff to do pirating. Can't check that because Wikipedia has been SHUTDOWN!!!

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Can I enact my rights as a citizen of the country and save American jobs by voting this guy out of Congress?

Actually, they all need to be replaced. Some of them have been in the spot for far too long.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone else find it funny that all these websites, in their haste to protest SOPA, are essentially doing its job for it by getting rid of their own content?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
This is f***ing ridiculous. Now I have to update everyone I know with this news.

Blaaaaahhhhhh and I have a Mechanics exam soon and this doesn't help my already cluttered mind.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, that looks about right.

Hopefully today's blackout will help with the opposition.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Google should've joined the blackout and threatened to make it permanent if SOPA passed

Bet that'd get some fucking attention considering Google hosts all the various US agencies servers.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Digitaldreamer7 said:
I shall sing you the song of my people

Seriously, it makes me feel bad about being american. When I visit the UK i'm going to wear a sign that says "I'm not your typical asshole American."
This is why I'm going to get an Irish passport so when I'm in Europe I can use it and not get treated like crap because of everyone thinking I wear a cowboy hat am 700 pounds and have a shotgun on standby.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
All your little site 'blackouts' are doing is a short-term version of what you're going to get if the bill passes. If man one of you had any testicular fortitude, you'd just say "Fuck SOPA!" and continue on as normal.

Hooray for you. No, I'm not bring sarcastic or anything.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
If this passes, getting it undone will be a ***** and a half, AND the damage will likely already have been done.

If you've been active in getting this stopped, continue to BE active. It's the only way.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Fuck sake, I had just organised a massive orgy in celebration for this shit being pulled... Sigh... Suppose i'll kill myself now.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
You know, when there's a law up that claims Canada and the Bahamas are part of the United States (PIPA) and then the proponent of a similar law (SOPA) plays the "dirty foreigners" card.... I don't know what to make of it. It's jingoistic nationalism run completely amok. It's the sort of thing you expect to hear out of screwball backwater dictatorships. And for the benefit of companies like Sony and EMI, which aren't even American at all!

Guys, I know the bread and circuses is great, but you really gotta get off your asses and start another revolution. The last one appears to have failed at founding a democracy.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
Section 103.4 states that you need to provide evidence that the site is "dedicated to theft". Which part of the Bill suggests that any post on a forum could be accused of causing a site to be dedicated to theft?
As you claim to have read the bill, you should know that (103.a.1) "An internet site is dedicated to theft of US property if it... is marketed by its operator for use in, offering goods or services in a manner that engages in, enables, or facilitates" copyright infringement. It took me five minutes to find this.

IANAL and neither are you, but my high school English comprehension skills tell me that this paragraph means that any site that in any way allows the even possibility of copyright infringement can be called a site dedicated to theft under SOPA. Is it possible to make a forum post that infringes copyright? Yes, of course it is. Therefore, all forums are dedicated to theft according to the SOPA definition.

And actually Section 103.5 states that the site can counter any actions taken if it, under penalty of perjury, has good faith in that it is not a site dedicated to theft.
Which is fairly pointless when you acknowledge that the definition of a site dedicated to theft covers pretty much the entire web.

Also, 103.4 and 103.5 are not even parts of the bill. Paragraph designators take the form "number.letter.number", not "number.number".

Paragon Fury said:
If was being accurate and honest, he would say "Chinese thieves" since they are the biggest problem in piracy and IP protection. But because he can't do that without pissing the Chinese off, so he says the ambiguous "foreign" instead.
But SOPA only applies to sites that can be accessed from the US. So it'd be fairly trivial for a Chinese site whose users are mostly Chinese to circumvent SOPA simply by blocking access to IP addresses in the US.

He's using the "foreign thieves" codephrase obviously to mean the Chinese, to play on voters' fear of an expanding China, but that's not what SOPA is really about.

Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is?
I'd look it up on Wikipedia, but...

Robert Fuller said:
from http://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/community/
Thank God that I Can Has Cheezburger? is taking a stand for freedom.

Also, Torrentfreak. What's a torrent site doing on that list?

Aeshi said:
Does anyone else find it funny that all these websites, in their haste to protest SOPA, are essentially doing its job for it by getting rid of their own content?
I think that's kind of the point. They're saying "this is what the web will look like if SOPA passes".

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Varrdy said:
CoL0sS said:
Exile714 said:
snip
snip
Cheers!
First of all thank you for calm and eloquent response. I wasn't trying to argue his point (if there was any), only a way in which he tried to convey it. I agree that we need to keep a level head and make room for the smartest of us to battle these bills, but aren't they already doing that? A lot of smart and influential people are already on the "frontlines" organizing drives, letter-writing campaigns and surveys.

Considering how much has been written on SOPA & PIPA these last couple of weeks I think there are very few people that don't know what they're talking about. Community is free to voice their opinions however they want as long as it's clear whether they oppose (or support) these bills. Part of the blame for these exaggerated responses should be laid at irresponsible journalism that doesn't check its facts and leans heavily on sensationalism. As you said, only way we can be taken seriously is by proving we can think for ourselves and defying those who are trying to force this bill into existence.