Space Jam: A New Legacy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Like I mostly find it funny. Personally I respect the audacity of it all to the fullest extent and it makes want to watch it but damn I know they won't have a huge factor in the plot and are probably just there for the ending game but come on now.

Any other time this kind of reference in a kids movie puts a smile on my face but now its just gives me a annoyed confused look.
Well the first Space Jam has a pretty good and impossible to miss if you’re an adult reference to Pulp Fiction.

Still, I’ll take Jules Winfield and Vincent Vega over the fucking Droogs.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve never seen the first Space Jam in its entirety, and was still teenager when it first came out. Would rather just watched Jordan play real basketball games, or watch the Looney Tunes do their own thing. Remember thinking it was cashing in on 90’s Jordan hype with Who Framed Roger Rabbit styling, but I’m glad other people liked it.

This sequel just feels like it will be the Lebron edition but with politically correct garnishes, as if anyone’s ever cared about garnishes in the first place.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ve never seen the first Space Jam in its entirety, and was still teenager when it first came out. Would rather just watched Jordan play real basketball games, or watch the Looney Tunes do their own thing. Felt like a Who Framed Roger Rabbit knock off but I’m glad other people liked it.
If you want to huge Roger rabbit knock off, look no further than Cool World. The director's vision for that film got super butchered by the Hollywood hype machine.

This sequel just feels like it will be the Lebron edition but with politically correct garnishes, as if anyone’s ever cared about garnishes in the first place
people do care about garnishes, they just have different ways of expressing it. Aesthetics have their own appeal and people do care. Not everything has to have a political correct garnish, but but it's not exactly wrong for doing so. It just depends on how you do it and use it properly. From what I'm seeing so far, it's not a politically correct checklist. Other than a Pepe Le Pew thing, but it comes off as hypocritical concerning all the cameos that are appearing in the audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, Zendaya is going to voice Lola, the sexy bunny put there to appeal to furries.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can't wait for my 7-year old niece to eagerly point out the rape gang from Clockwork Orange. And then maybe she'll spot Edward Norton's character from American History X, and Sean Penn's character from Casualties of War.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Watched the original because i liked Tiny Toons and most Loony Toons. Didn't even know who Michawl Jordon was and din't care. Found it passible but not memorable.

Won't watch the new one. I have many more entertainment opportunities and less time now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Casualties of War.
As someone who's sole exposure to Michael J. Fox had been Back to the Future and an episode or two of Spin City, coming across that movie on late night TV was fucking mind blowing and horrifying because Jesus H. Christ that plot.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Maybe it's because I'm not the target demographic anymore, but how big is the Looney Tunes footprint in modern pop culture?

They were pretty prevalent back in the 90s when children's programming was severely limited, but I don't see them around as much anymore.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As someone who's sole exposure to Michael J. Fox had been Back to the Future and an episode or two of Spin City, coming across that movie on late night TV was fucking mind blowing and horrifying because Jesus H. Christ that plot.
Yeah, even Platoon had some excitement sprinkled in amongst the depressing war setting. Casualties of War was just 100% soul crushing agony. Made the whole drill insctructor part from Full Metal Jacket look like a trip to McDonalds.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casualties of War was just 100% soul crushing agony. Made the whole drill insctructor part from Full Metal Jacket look like a trip to McDonalds.
You serious? More depressing than Platoon or FMJ? Is it more depressing than Deer Hunter, or more about the same?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You serious? More depressing than Platoon or FMJ? Is it more depressing than Deer Hunter, or more about the same?
I haven't seen Deer Hunter in its entirety, so I couldn't say. I think it depends on how much the concept of each movie hits you. I don't think there was one moment in Casualties of War that eased off a bit and let me not feel this nausea in the pit of my stomach. It's also weird, because this is the movie that introduced me to John C. Reilly, and for the longest time I couldn't not see him as "one of the guys" from Casualties of War.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I can't wait for my 7-year old niece to eagerly point out the rape gang from Clockwork Orange. And then maybe she'll spot Edward Norton's character from American History X, and Sean Penn's character from Casualties of War.
I hope so.

Parents should always expose their children to good literature and cinema.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Platoon and Full Metal Jacket have directorial flourishes and are at times exciting or funny in a bleak, original M*A*S*H sort of way.

Casualties of War is just......miserable. Like the whole plot is about a group of US soldiers in Vietnam who kidnap and gang rape a local woman, or even girl, with the sole exception being Fox who just sort of lets it happen either out of shock or pragmatic realisation they’ll murder him if he squeals on them. There’s one scene I remember with clarity of the poor girl they violated - and I don’t remember if she was named or not - trying to escape them on a train track with a gut wound and just the agony on her face and in her voice.....

Sorry I rambled there.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Platoon and Full Metal Jacket have directorial flourishes and are at times exciting or funny in a bleak, original M*A*S*H sort of way.

Casualties of War is just......miserable. Like the whole plot is about a group of US soldiers in Vietnam who kidnap and gang rape a local woman, or even girl, with the sole exception being Fox who just sort of lets it happen either out of shock or pragmatic realisation they’ll murder him if he squeals on them. There’s one scene I remember with clarity of the poor girl they violated - and I don’t remember if she was named or not - trying to escape them on a train track with a guy wound and just the agony on her face and in her voice.....

Sorry I rambled there.
I looked up the director...it's Brian DePalma.....

That explains so much. What you described is based on something that actually happened Vietnam. The reason why I know is because we discussed it in history class in high school. This and certain other reasons is why I don't bother war, prison, or gangster films much any more.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I looked up the director...it's Brian DePalma.....

That explains so much. What you described is based on something that actually happened Vietnam. The reason why I know is because we discussed it in history class in high school. This and certain other reasons is why I don't bother war, prison, or gangster films much any more.
I’ve heard that Platoon at least, not sure on FMJ, was pretty heavily based off of Stone’s actual time in Vietnam as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On second thought, the more I think about it, the less invested I'm in this. Y'all can do whatever you want at this point, but I'm not watching. I'll try to video game adaption, if it ever comes out on other consoles aside from Xbox. I heard the video games actually pretty good. A decent beat em up.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
On second thought, the more I think about it, the less invested I'm in and this. Y'all can do whatever you want at this point, but I'm not watching. I'll try to video game adaption, if it ever comes out on other consoles aside from Xbox. I heard the video games actually pretty good. A decent beat em up.

Talk about a reversal of hype. All because Porky raps.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Talk about a reversal of hype. All because Porky raps.
It's not just that, there's some other factors as well.

1. The misuse of black and hip Hop culture for the shallowest of reasons. This is once again another case of trying too hard to be hip and only having black people in the background. In this case, mostly music.
  2. It it could have worked as a parody and it could have possibly funny, but they're obviously playing it straight. Everything about it just sucks.
  3. I realize that I'm not invested in this as I thought. Even without the rap, I kind of came to that conclusion early on before seeing that scene.
  4. I have little respect for LeBron James. He's nothing more than a glorified mouthpiece for the NBA.
  5. I got better movies and shows to watch this month anyway.