Space Jam: A New Legacy

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently lots of people are very angry with the sexualisation of Lola.

In that they toned it down for this film. This is an outrage! Firsts the feminists come for the bunny girls in our kid's films, next it might feasible be something somebody might have a reason to care about.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was 16 when the first Space Jam came out, and can't tell you if I ever saw the whole thing in its entirety, but I DO recall thinking it felt like it was an overt cash grab, pairing the most popular athlete on the planet with the most iconic cartoon characters in the world... which is basically what Space Jam 2 is again, so no; I have less than zero interest in seeing this film. Watching most athletes in 30 second commercials is already cringeworthy as they're not professional actors; I really don't want to watch one for an hour and a half.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

In that they toned it down for this film. This is an outrage! Firsts the feminists come for the bunny girls in our kid's films, next it might feasible be something somebody might have a reason to care about.
BuT mUh BuNnY GiRlS!

They should watch the series where shes a yandre stalking bugs and breaking into his home to watch him while he sleeps. I wish I was joking about that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BuT mUh BuNnY GiRlS!

They should watch the series where shes a yandre stalking bugs and breaking into his home to watch him while he sleeps. I wish I was joking about that.
Out of those two; I prefer classic Lola. The other Lola they were trying too had to be different, that she came off as a worse character. Babs Bunny ended up being a better Lola compared to that crazy version.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Was the original Space Jam any good? I mean I remember watching it back in the day and it being pretty cringe.
"Larry Bird isn't white. He's clear." Some cringe there. But I watched it a lot while bringing up the kids and I recall liking it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"Larry Bird isn't white. He's clear." Some cringe there. But I watched it a lot while bringing up the kids and I recall liking it.
I think the main scene I remember is the intro of Lola and her being all sex pot while also being all "don't call me babe" or something like that. Just, meh.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
BuT mUh BuNnY GiRlS!

You know, for some reason I found that characterisation of her to be hysterical. I don’t know why, but she cracks me up in that show. Not as much as Bugs and Daffy but she does a good job.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I honest enjoyed the new Space Jam movie. Even when Warner Bros was jerking themselves off the movie and animation lover and historian in my was just pointing out all of the references I could and loved the little inside jokes for basketball fans.

It was a solid 3.5 out 5 and about equal with the original and I will hold them up as high art despite any objective analysis that comes out me.

Now to check out the soundtrack which is fighting some hard nostalgia but I want to see some fo the tracks.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

"First they take away our bunny tits, next they cut off our balls and make us hold their purses!"

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Wait, that's how they inserted the other WB IPs??? Just drew over their old movies??? Damn, now I'm even less interested in watching this movie.
Not all of it, mostly its cameos and background characters during the basketball game finale. But yeah, there's a recruiting sequence that's WB stuff with the Looney Tunes inserted into them. Fury Road, The Matrix, Hary Potter, Game of Thrones, the DCAU Superman cartoon, and of course, Casablanca. Movie basically felt like a 2 hour $150m ad for HBO max.
Oh God, why would they do Fury Road like that.
Sad thing is, that part were Wile hold up the 'witness me' sign is the only joke in the entire movie that actually got a chuckle out of me. The Tunes are spectacularly unfunny in this movie. Lots of horrible comedic timing. Looney, yes. Funny, no.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Tunes are spectacularly unfunny in this movie.
Aah so, very true to the spirit of the original movie.

I like how the sentiment to this sequel being anounced was 'Oh man, a Space Jam sequel! How crazy is that?', even whipping themselves into a frenzy over Lola Bunny's perceived de-sexualization. And then the movie is released and everyone seems to be 'Oh right, Space Jam fucking sucked.'

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not all of it, mostly its cameos and background characters during the basketball game finale. But yeah, there's a recruiting sequence that's WB stuff with the Looney Tunes inserted into them. Fury Road, The Matrix, Hary Potter, Game of Thrones, the DCAU Superman cartoon, and of course, Casablanca. Movie basically felt like a 2 hour $150m ad for HBO max.
They even got Rick and Morty to cameo in the film. Which makes Pepe's removal even more hypocritical.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
. And then the movie is released and everyone seems to be 'Oh right, Space Jam fucking sucked.'
I never once claimed Space Jam was a good movie, but I don't regret my time watching it with my family. With that said, I see the original for what it is. As flimsy as the story was, at least something was there, commercial or not. The sequel, they're not even trying. Which sucks, because the 2D animated parts look awesome and something we rarely see anymore on the Western side. The tech is great 2D and 3D visuals, but everything else is falling apart.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never once claimed Space Jam was a good movie, but I don't regret my time watching it with my family. With that said, I see the original for what it is. As flimsy as the story was, at least something was there, commercial or not. The sequel, they're not even trying. Which sucks, because the 2D animated parts look awesome and something we rarely see anymore on the Western side. The tech is great 2D and 3D visuals, but everything else is falling apart.
I'm not really calling out people who liked the first movie, but considering how people reacted to the reveal of the sequel you'd think the consensus was that the original was a well loved classic, when at the time everyone was already like 'Really? We're doing this?'

Reactions: Dalisclock