Space marine demo; thoughts?

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
After playing the demo my initial thought "shut up and take my money" then after some rationalization i thought "hey that chainsword just massacred everything, why do they even bother with the guns" then immidiatitly afterword i replayed it useing nothing but the guns and gained a new appriciation for them. so to conclude, well rounded good fun, nice mechanics, can't quote on story since the demo contains exactly no story other then hey look orcs go shoot them, still looks promising with all the warhammer lore to dig into i dare say that'll be good aswell, then ofcourse there is the token multiplayer mode in the full version which for a change i will probably try out.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
It was a lot more fun than I expected. I am now somewhat interested in this game.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
EDIT: Fuck me. I just made it through the horde attack on hard and I have to say that they really know how to balance a game. The entire attack was a combination of panic and focus, trying to manage health with attacks. The two large Orcs that attack pose the biggest challenge, usually coming when I'm already on low health. By the end of it, I was actually panting.
Yeah that last battle on hard is great isn't it? I found that the Bad Moon boys on the ramps were doing tons of damage if allowed to fire freely. Taking those out at quiet moments, or using the terrain for cover helped me a lot.

My impression was that they can vary the core gameplay quite a bit depending on the terrain layout and choice of enemies.

Mar 9, 2010
Bostur said:
Yeah that last battle on hard is great isn't it? I found that the Bad Moon boys on the ramps were doing tons of damage if allowed to fire freely. Taking those out at quiet moments, or using the terrain for cover helped me a lot.

My impression was that they can vary the core gameplay quite a bit depending on the terrain layout and choice of enemies.
I'd start at the front and slowly work my way back as they came at me from the front. What didn't realise was that they were also coming at me from the sides too, I'd be almost dead by the time I reached the halfway mark. Then the gunners on the bridge, they just wouldn't stop, I never really noticed them till the last play through, but you're right, they do a ton of collective damage.

I still remember how it finished. I had just watched the last big guy go down as my fury wore off. I was on low health, no armour protecting me and there were about 7-10 Bad Moons left over, I thought I wasn't going to make it. I emptied the last few rounds of my clip into one of them and watched as the others fell to the gun fire of my fellow Marines and the Imperial Guard.

I may have to play it again.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
FURY_007 said:
It's called a LAN, if it does have local co-op for PC the my roommate will probably get it too
Local coop usually means split screen - which afaik is quite rare on PC these days.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I had fun, but the controls felt a bit clunky. You don't start moving immediately, for example, you need to hold down the button for a second before you start moving forward. It was still enjoyable, but I don't think I liked it enough to buy the game first thing, but I'll probably get it used or in a few months when the price comes down.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, it's Relic who are making the game, the same guys from the Dawn of War series and those games alone did nailed the WH40K universe right, but at the same time, they were only making RTSes until now, so I was a bit skeptical about how'd they pull off a third person shooter.

I think I underestimated them by dismissing this game as "yet another generic shooter", heck, the name itself may be a bit misleading.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I really wanted to like this, but I couldn't get into it, the controls felt too slow and heavy. Plus it came across as very much a button masher. It felt just like Darksiders, and I hate Darksiders.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I have the feeling I'm gonna enjoy it because I knew jack shit about this game before the Demo came out.

ounkeo

Aug 22, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
I really wanted to like this, but I couldn't get into it, the controls felt too slow and heavy. Plus it came across as very much a button masher. It felt just like Darksiders, and I hate Darksiders.
What did you not like about Darksiders? I just finished it and thought it was a fantastic game although the PC controls required way too much finger twisting, and the ranged-to-melee-to-range mechanic was crappy. Other than that the story was pretty good, the puzzles satisfying and well... it was pretty difficult on Easy. I honestly did not see any difference between easy and normal.

I'm not sure what you mean the controls felt slow and heavy. I thought they were some of the most responsive controls in an action game that I have played in a while. If you spam the melee button, yes, you have almost no control and just have to wait for your toon to finish his maneuver. The trick is to balance button spamming and controlled, concise clicks so you're not swinging wildly. It's the only way to properly control your character.

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
It's better than I thought it would be, I had some serious doubts after seeing that piece of crap they tried to pull off as a movie... luckily Kill Teams was freaking awesome, and the Space Marine demo seems pretty good. So my hopes have been restored.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
ounkeo said:
What did you not like about Darksiders? I just finished it and thought it was a fantastic game although the PC controls required way too much finger twisting, and the ranged-to-melee-to-range mechanic was crappy. Other than that the story was pretty good, the puzzles satisfying and well... it was pretty difficult on Easy. I honestly did not see any difference between easy and normal.

I'm not sure what you mean the controls felt slow and heavy. I thought they were some of the most responsive controls in an action game that I have played in a while. If you spam the melee button, yes, you have almost no control and just have to wait for your toon to finish his maneuver. The trick is to balance button spamming and controlled, concise clicks so you're not swinging wildly. It's the only way to properly control your character.
Darksiders to me felt like it should be played with a controller, and I don't like controllers. I guess I don't really like action games in general, with a few exceptions.
Space Marine felt slow and heavy because I had to move the mouse way too far for a small movement on character, which made it difficult to aim. I prefer to move the mouse just a few millimetres to get a good 45 degrees or more of turn. Your avatar also walks much too slowly, I'd rather a move speed of around double that. It all added up to feeling like I was trying to move a truck around the screen.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
The heaviness was a design choice, in Darksiders, it wasn't a design choice, it was just them flipping a quarter to decide your movement speed. This reminds me of devil may cry, slowed down, with slower, but more slaughter heavy combat.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
I'd love to actually be able to PLAY it, but it's exclusive to Gold members on Live... and i'm not one.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Haven't played it but will probably going to on the weekend but judging form TB's video I think I will enjoy it as much as him :D

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
Your avatar also walks much too slowly, I'd rather a move speed of around double that. It all added up to feeling like I was trying to move a truck around the screen.
Have you seen the the space marines? With all that armor, they basically are trucks moving around the screen. As a bonus though, they get to swing around power axes.