Space Marine "Rips Off" Gears of War

Nobodyman

Jun 5, 2009
I love Gears and I love Warhammer. Yes, the people that troll the internet saying that Warhammer is a ripoff are incredibly annoying, but I do see where the reviewer is coming from. So what if the button layouts and controls are similar. Why try to create a new control setup when you have a setup from a proven franchise. It's just logical. Though, I will say that I would rather play Warhammer for the crazy insane melee system.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
Simalacrum said:
Now, I hate to be the naysayer here... BUT:

While Space Marines certainly came up with the whole "big menacing man ripping everything apart" thing before Gears of War, the gameplay style of third person shooting was refined by Gears of War before Space Marines. I think this is what most people are bitching about, really.
Gears of Wear combat and Space Marines combat are much different. The only similarities are that they both have guns and are third person.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Now, I hate to be the naysayer here... BUT:

While Space Marines certainly came up with the whole "big menacing man ripping everything apart" thing before Gears of War, the gameplay style of third person shooting was refined by Gears of War before Space Marines. I think this is what most people are bitching about, really.
The word "refined" doesn't belong in the same sentence as "gears of war" They just can't be used together.

OT: I prefered the gameplay for Space Marines as I din't have to constantly use cover and got to mess stuff up with a battle axe and a jet pack.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
... but ... but ...

SPESS MAHREEEEENS !!!!

Ergo, better.

Haven't played it yet, I'm just guessing. And basing all my arguments on this simple fact already illustrated in my expansive essay above: SPESS MAHREEEEENS!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Jandau said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember my playthroughs of Gears of War involving charging into crowds of enemies with massive melee weapons and slaughtering them wholesale.
No offense, but if that's true, you played Gears of War the wrong way my friend. You can play it prairie dogging the whole time if you like, but Gears shines brightest when you play it as an up close and personal melee Chainsaw-O-Rama. Which is how I played both of them. Taking every opportunity to Roadie Run up to the Locust and deliver a Chainsaw Colonoscopy. It's the ONLY way to Gears in my book. ;)
Tried that, they would shoot me, then I'd be dead and that wasn't very compelling or cinematic, so I stuck to crouching behind a wall until everything died. ;)

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Jacob Haggarty said:
It doesn't even say that in the article.
"Gears clone" does definitely appear in there. I think that's most of what the OP and others were upset about.

Some are agreeing with him but I don't feel like Edwin's opinion is all that respectable. How is it worth getting into a hate-rant about him?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
MrLumber said:
Soviet Heavy said:
U mad bro?

Seriously though, the reviewer gave it a 7/10 and all his points were more than valid. Could you point me to the place where he said, literally, that its a "gears ripoff"? Maybe im missing it. Because all I can find is this:

At its simplest, Space Marine is a Gears clone with a hair-raising health system which sees you healing by performing execution kills. Given how flagrantly Relic apes the Epic juggernaut elsewhere - weapons are swapped via the same D-pad system - being unable to stick to cover feels unnatural at first, but you soon acclimatise. New cannons and a Fury mode unlock at half-hourly intervals as you progress through corridors and arenas, nabbing Servo Skulls (Warhammer's audio diary of choice) to flesh out the plot's few secrets.
Which is... Well... PERFECTLY VALID AND COMPLETELY FUCKING RIGHT.

TL;DR: Stop whining, write your own review if you disagree, dont write off a reviewer just because he doesnt like a game you do, or rather, just because he doesnt like it as much.

Fucking hell, he gave it a 7/10 for fucks sake. If you seriously think that Space Marine deserves more than that... Jesus.
You don't think that the review complaining about a controls setup isn't being even a little petty?
He mentioned it in passing. Fucking wow. Thats exactly what I expect from a written review, small flaws tend to get pointed out. But I guess because its precious fucking Space Marine thats simply not right anymore, is it? Look at the end of the review, where he actually gives it a score. No word of controls.

Also, I love the guys who are saying HURR WARHAMMER WAS THERE B4 GEARS DERP. That not the point. Are you guys really incapable of forming a coherent thought? Hes saying the gameplay is similar. Which is also a completely fucking valid point.

Ah, fuck it, everyone here is determined to blindly hate on any reviewer who doesnt welcome Space Marine as the second coming of Christ, what can you do. Is the Escapist review out yet? I bet they score it somewhere in that range too, make the same points and everyone praises them for the fair an unbiased critic.
While I could personally could care less about Space Marine, and GoW for that matter, I don't like the word 'valid' being slung around like your own feces. To put it simply, he actually never makes a valid argument. He simply says 'its a Gears clone' and leaves it at that, no supporting arguments whatsoever. While this may or may not be true is beyond me, my point is he never actually makes a VALID argument.

Also, you should probably calm down, you sorta look like a douche cussing and calling people out like that.

Anyway, carry on with this inane argument over a game that probably won't even be a footnote on the history of gaming.
Alright, first off, I dont mind making myself look like a douche in this thread. If pointing out stupid things makes me an asshole, so be it. Im simply fed up of this blind hatred for anything remotely related to the Xbox. I havent even fucking had an xbox for 2 years and it gets on my nerves. This thread is full of people who simply have not read a single word of the review.

Besides that, maybe you SHOULD play Space Marine and Gears Of War before you even start making posts like that. Im assuming you havent played both, because if you had the obvious similarities in gameplay would be familiar to you. I can sling around valid as much as I like because my opinion is just that - I have played both Gears and Space Marine, and read the review. Someone who has likely never played Gears, never played Space Marine and didnt bother reading the review but still feels the need to hate because its the cool thing to do on the other hand... Not so much.

(Last sentence not directed at you, but its the vibe im getting from 90% of the thread).
If that last part was intended for me because I started the thread, how about asking someone if they've played or not before making a big assumption like that. I've played both, and Gears is a cover based shooter, Spess Mahreen is not. The review was poorly written, it was too vague about the game mechanics, and the only time it came close to something in depth was when it decided to start complaining about how much it obviously ripped off gears for having the nerve to switch weapons with the D-pad.

Short story, I've played both games enough to tell they are different beasts altogether. And if you're mad that people are yelling at your precious system, I feel sorry for you to be taking it so personally. I didn't bash the Xbox 360 as much as I was bashing the review for barely telling me anything except how much of a GOW clone the game is.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Now, I'm no expert on the history of gaming, but if I'm not mistaken, Warhammer came before Gears of War.

So if anything, it would appear that Gears stole its entire identity from the space marines in 40k.

It's like if Stephanie Meyer tried to sue Charlaine Harris for plagiarism

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Ooo!oooo!ooo! Let me play the comparison game too!

Sonic 2 and Super Mario Bros 3.

Platformer: Check
Jump on enemies to kill them: Check
2 players: Check
Power-ups: Check
Unique lvls: Check!
Hidden Collectables: Check.

My god...Mario and Sonic games play very similarly too...

Streets of Rage 2 and Final Fight

Different characters: Check
Guy in blue jeans and white shirt: Check
Saving a city: Check
Beat-em up: Check
Similar controls: Check
AoE attacks: Check

Oh my god...these games play the same too.

Sarcasm aside. Always judge a game by it's own merits. Does it play smoothly? Are the controls responsive? Are the enemies varied? Is the plot interesting? Are you having fun?

Sometimes you gotta take your head out of your own butt and judge for yourself and not what others have judged for you.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
I played GoW for a few months, and tried the demo for Space Marine. To me they did feel familar, but no, I don't feel that Space Marine is a clone of GoW.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
It says it's a Gears clone and makes one comparison to it. If you looks, he even adds a little TLDR next to the score as to why it got the score it did, which seems pretty fair.

The OP seems to be fixating on a single part of the review, whereas I think all the points he made are reasonably justified. Most of the review does appear to be not that it's too much like another game, but that it isn't enough like Warhammer. Which is a pretty valid point when it's a Warhammer game.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I don't see the "rip-off"-ness of Space Marines either, at least from the demo. For one there's no cover system so it's not exactly a tactical shooter. There's also no regenerating health, you have to smash it out of the faces of your enemies which is completely awesome :D

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
PrototypeC said:
Jacob Haggarty said:
It doesn't even say that in the article.
"Gears clone" does definitely appear in there. I think that's most of what the OP and others were upset about.

Some are agreeing with him but I don't feel like Edwin's opinion is all that respectable. How is it worth getting into a hate-rant about him?
because ranting is fun? :D

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Jandau said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Jandau said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember my playthroughs of Gears of War involving charging into crowds of enemies with massive melee weapons and slaughtering them wholesale.
No offense, but if that's true, you played Gears of War the wrong way my friend. You can play it prairie dogging the whole time if you like, but Gears shines brightest when you play it as an up close and personal melee Chainsaw-O-Rama. Which is how I played both of them. Taking every opportunity to Roadie Run up to the Locust and deliver a Chainsaw Colonoscopy. It's the ONLY way to Gears in my book. ;)
Tried that, they would shoot me, then I'd be dead and that wasn't very compelling or cinematic, so I stuck to crouching behind a wall until everything died. ;)
Well, to each their own I suppose. I guess I should add to my original post that I always play Gears with my best friend. It's easier to play as a psycho Chainsaw on legs when you've got solid backup to keep picking your dead ass up off the ground. :D

Sep 8, 2011
thiosk said:
I think the important thing here is that since release, I have been reveling in the glory of liberating orks from their physiology in a way I never thought possible.

And will continue to do so.

Terrara said:
I agree with some of the guys points, although some of his criticism is like.. ehem
"All RTS clone each other as they have a resource system" (c)
You know, like that.
call of duty is just a duke nukem 3d clone.
hell you can even say doom 1 is a duke nukem 3d clone :p

cthulhlu

Feb 21, 2011
warhammer invented EVERYTHING! space marines in giant armor? 40k did it! the zerg? crappy rip off's of the tyranids! green orks? Warhammer! orks with tusks? Warhammer!
damn near everything in scifi was made by warhammer!

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
Honestly the demo felt like a dynasty warriors style of play to me because you are cutting through countless peons, and the only hard part are the generals (or nobs in this case). Aesthetically it did not remind me of gears at all, so I'm not feeling that either. His complaint of the d-pad weapon switch is like complaining the right trigger is the shoot button.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
If Space Marine is a rip off of Gears of War then Gears of War is a rip off of Space Invaders. Both include 3rd person shooting after all.