Spain Won. Goddamn Octopus Right Again

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Darkenwrath said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
1. It's Soccer, not football.
It's football in England, soccer in America and whatever it is in whatever other countries home languages, just because you are ignorant of the fact doesn't mean you need to show it.

EDIT: also, worship the octopus as our new god and let it predict everything important from now on, clearly we have found the messenger of Cthulu.
Yeah, that last part with Cthulhu ruined it.

Joshimodo said:
DrEmo said:
The game consists of overpaid ladyboys using their feet to kick balls.

It has more right to be called "football", since it actually involves both most of the time.

Anyway, I hope they kill the octopus for one reason and one reason only: So we don't have to prolong the coverage of this overblown bag of shit sport.
lol, overpaid ladyboys. They're also Drama Queens.

People usually use their feet to kick. I've never seen anyone kick someone with their fist before.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Darkenwrath said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
FUCK THE OCTOPUS! NETHERLANDS SHOULD HAVE WON. NOT THE BUCKET OF GREASE THAT IS SPAIN. DIVING IS NOT FOOTBALL.
It's football in England, soccer in America and whatever it is in whatever other countries home languages, just because you are ignorant of the fact doesn't mean you need to show it.

EDIT: also, worship the octopus as our new god and let it predict everything important from now on, clearly we have found the messenger of Cthulu.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOPUS

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Wow, an octopus that is also a part time augur? Now I really HAVE seen it all. Otherwise I don't care, being one of those people filed under "Couldn't Give a Flying F*ck about Football". Though my friend Dan did make a high-larious status on Facebook revolving around the Spanish player Jesus and several other Biblical characters. Oh, how I laughed.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
It's clear that the Octopus is touched by the Old Gods. Do not feed it your anger, for it only channels your sanity unto Cthulhu...

Besides, if slain, the Octopus may become a breach in the fabric of reality, spilling forth the lost city of R'lyeh into our mortal realm...

So, damned if we do, damned if we don't.

How about that futbol, eh?

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Dexiro said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:
No it's definitely football ;D Silly Americans
Was just about to post this :) Damn Ignorant Americans thinking they can steal the name Football for a worse sport, which doesn't even include a foot and a ball that often, and replacing it with a new name :/

Yea but that Octopus is pritty special!!! He should star in a new game show!!! "You V.S The Octopus! I would watch that :D

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
DrEmo said:
HTID Raver said:
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
your definantly american
My *definitely* American what?
(I'm Puerto Rican, by the way.)

OT:
Spain used witchcraft! It's the only explanation.
that game was pure bullshit, Spain fakes so many injures

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
DrEmo said:
Berserker119 said:

2. Soccer is 60% diving. To participate in a soccer team you need a Bachelor's in Theater.

3. The other 40% of the game is divided between passing the ball, kicking at nowhere in particular and doing the airplane.

I wanted the Netherlands to win. Oh, well, can't have everything you want, I suppose.
You sir, are an idiot.

OT: I thought Spain would win also. I didn't really care who won though.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The octopus isn't psychic. At best, it's just lucky: anyone can call a coin toss correctly eight times in a row, it's just unlikely. More likely, we're seeing the Clever Hans effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_hans] in action, with the Octopus reading body language cues from its handlers.

Not that I really cared either way, since all my other teams were eliminated, but I was rooting for the Dutch. That was one of the most frustrating and irritating games I've ever seen, and I didn't even care about the result. But in the end, despite the bad officiating and boring tactics, Spain actually played football, and the Dutch looked like they were trying to set a record for number of bookings. They deserved at least three red cards--I saw at least two slide tackles from behind in addition to De Jong's flying dragon kick. Spain deserved the win.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Falseprophet said:
The octopus isn't psychic. At best, it's just lucky: anyone can call a coin toss correctly eight times in a row, it's just unlikely. More likely, we're seeing the Clever Hans effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_hans] in action, with the Octopus reading body language cues from its handlers.
But that only applies if the handles know the correct answer themselves.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

Guessing with 1/2 odds isn't that hard.
He had a 8% chance of being right throughout all of them. It is impressive.
Not with some of the teams playing.
The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
stinkychops said:
Jaranja said:
Oh yeah, lucky octopus! I think we should put him on Deal or no deal, see how he fares. If he wins all the money, then yeah psychic.

Guessing with 1/2 odds isn't that hard.
He had a 8% chance of being right throughout all of them. It is impressive.
Not with some of the teams playing.
The octopus did not make any judgements based on wether one team was better on the other, he went for oysters. Thus it is a 50/50 chance each time, and an ~8% chance overall.
I'm still 90% sure that they could easily make the octopus go for one or the other.
They didn't know who would win, I'm under the impression Netherlands were the favourites. So why would they bet on Spain? Its just cool and unlikely, christ, not everything has to be trickery.
Spain were always the favourites, right from the beginning.

Also, you're trusting a so-called psychic octopus?

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Ickorus said:
That match was disgusting, that goal should never have been since the spain player was offside on the first pass to him, it doesn't matter if it rebounded off the holland player before reaching him it was still offside.

And some of those calls the referee was (and was not) making were ridiculous.
Yes, but speaking as an Englishman the refereeing throughout the whole tournament was diabolical,so that game was no different

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I maintain that the octopus is actually controlling the future, as this is more scientifically sound than the idea that you can have an effect before a cause. Therefore, someone must eat the octopus, absorb it's power, and become unquestionable god Emperor of mankind! FOR SCIENCE!

Or just because, you know, it's tasty... I haven't had a good bit of octopus for a while now... of course, you can't just buy octopus or squid in the supermarkets over here... shame...