Speculation About PSN Outage Turns to Custom Firmware

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
So, all these fights against piracy...and Sony still hasn't done jack shit about Game Sharing? The most basic form of PS3 piracy?
WTF is game sharing? by that do you mean LITERALY sharing games with your friends ??
The name is pretty self-explanatory, isn't it? >_>

It manipulates holes in the, shockingly loose, PS3 DRM to allow multiple users access to each others PSN store purchases...even on other profiles.
So wait, you mean if someone unlocks a specific DLC item, another person could access that same DLC by simply using their profile on that person's PS3?
Not just DLC. Sony has FULL GAMES for download, too. So, it really is full-on piracy. You can share it across all profiles on that system.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
tony2077 said:
HankMan said:
tony2077 said:
i for one blame idiots where ever and who ever they may be
I blame Sony to!
really you got Sony from that hm i must be slipping
You said idiots. That's pretty vague. Among many other people and companies, I can certainly pick Sony to take from that. They are the ones who took out Install Other OS when nobody was even close to cracking the system though it, and that removing Install Other OS would INCREASE the PS3 platform's security. They are the ones who were dead wrong, because since they removed Install Other OS, we've seen a USB device that allows people to pirate games has been released, the PS3's security setup was revealed to be a joke and the root key was released online for all to see and use, and now PSN had been down for the week because this "added security" we got from the removal of Install Other OS apparently allowed people to pirate content from the Playstation Store on a massive scale.

...You know what, maybe you're right. Maybe "idiots" isn't a harsh enough insult to describe a company that has fucked up this badly. Maybe calling Sony "idiots" is an insult to actual idiots who, while stupid, are still far more intelligent than Sony has been over the past year. Maybe it is too much of a stretch to get Sony from your statement.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
So, all these fights against piracy...and Sony still hasn't done jack shit about Game Sharing? The most basic form of PS3 piracy?
WTF is game sharing? by that do you mean LITERALY sharing games with your friends ??

It manipulates holes in the, shockingly loose, PS3 DRM to allow multiple users access to each others PSN store purchases...even on other profiles.
So wait, you mean if someone unlocks a specific DLC item, another person could access that same DLC by simply using their profile on that person's PS3?
Not just DLC. Sony has FULL GAMES for download, too. So, it really is full-on piracy. You can share it across all profiles on that system.
Wow...if this is still an issue, Sony needs to re-prioritise their efforts...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The only way Sony can stop it is with REALLY restrictive DRM, though. I don't think Sony wants to resort to that. They must know about it, though. It's been around for a long time, to my understanding.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'm not quite sure it's an issue anymore, but don't quote me on that. Something with logging in to your PSN account on another PS3.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Jumplion said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Go hackers go! Sony took down one, but good luck with the rest.
These aren't hackers, these are pirates. If this is true, then they would be producing fraudulent information to download unlimited games at the expense of the developers and publishers. That's not cool and it never should be.

I'm not commenting on the hackers, they're a seperate entity. But, if this is true (and I want to stress that, if this is true) then thanks to pirates, millions of people have lost access to content because of it.

But aside from that, it's really annoying how Sony is keeping us in the dark. Sure, they may be just as clueless as we are, but at least tell us. There's no excuse, not even if it's a free service, to have this much radio silence on this kind of situation.
ShadowKirby said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Yeah man, stealing games is so cool man.... :\

Much as I would love to discuss this with you two and my views, last time I did so on here I was warned and I know better then to not heed a warning.

EDIT: Though look at it this way then, pirates/hackers got through Sony and what do they do to the guy that they could have hired to help them? Sue the shit of him. I have no issues with whats happening to Sony and even if I owned a PS3 I would have no issues. Being said I buy my games actually just in case you were wondering as well.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
Jumplion said:
EcksTeaSea said:
These aren't hackers, these are pirates. If this is true, then they would be producing fraudulent information to download unlimited games at the expense of the developers and publishers. That's not cool and it never should be.

I'm not commenting on the hackers, they're a seperate entity. But, if this is true (and I want to stress that, if this is true) then thanks to pirates, millions of people have lost access to content because of it.

But aside from that, it's really annoying how Sony is keeping us in the dark. Sure, they may be just as clueless as we are, but at least tell us. There's no excuse, not even if it's a free service, to have this much radio silence on this kind of situation.
ShadowKirby said:
EcksTeaSea said:

Much as I would love to discuss this with you two and my views, last time I did so on here I was warned and I know better then to not heed a warning.
Well, if you would like, you may discuss it with me through PM. Just keep it civil n' all, of course, and I won't mind discussing this with you.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I was a little pissed at first if this was true, because it would mean that the pirates are shitting on everyone. Then I thought about it a little more, and if I understand things right, a "pirate" who has a hacked console isn't technically allowed on PSN anymore. Therefore, they aren't allowed to even be a Sony customer if they have decided to mod their console. Ergo, Sony, nor devs are actually losing money from these pirates because they just simply wouldn't be capable of buying in the first place. If that's the case, then Sony is a HUGE jackass for shitting on their entire customer base just because they are sad some one is getting free stuff when they told them they weren't allowed to pay for it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Oh, it's still an issue. And it'll never stop being an issue. Want to know why? Because Jack Tretton, and yes I mean CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America Jack Tretton, once said in an interview back in 2006 that game sharing was actually an intended feature that they wanted to people to use to get as many people playing the games as possible. And no matter how many examples of people being banned for gamesharing you point out, no matter how many calls you record with customer service saying you are not allowed to do it and you can be banned if you're caught doing so,and no matter how many different parts of the Playstation Network Terms of Use you quote that flat out say that you can't distribute the games OR share your account details with other people (both of which you need to do for gamesharing), people still deny that it's not against the rules (even though you just showed them the very rules that say you can't do it) and quote that one time Jack Tretton said one of the dumbest things he's ever said and say "I'm not doing anything wrong because Sony said we can do it!"

Here it is, in all its stupidity and glory:
If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
mjc0961 said:
tony2077 said:
HankMan said:
tony2077 said:
i for one blame idiots where ever and who ever they may be
I blame Sony to!
really you got Sony from that hm i must be slipping
You said idiots. That's pretty vague. Among many other people and companies, I can certainly pick Sony to take from that. They are the ones who took out Install Other OS when nobody was even close to cracking the system though it, and that removing Install Other OS would INCREASE the PS3 platform's security. They are the ones who were dead wrong, because since they removed Install Other OS, we've seen a USB device that allows people to pirate games has been released, the PS3's security setup was revealed to be a joke and the root key was released online for all to see and use, and now PSN had been down for the week because this "added security" we got from the removal of Install Other OS apparently allowed people to pirate content from the Playstation Store on a massive scale.

...You know what, maybe you're right. Maybe "idiots" isn't a harsh enough insult to describe a company that has fucked up this badly. Maybe calling Sony "idiots" is an insult to actual idiots who, while stupid, are still far more intelligent than Sony has been over the past year. Maybe it is too much of a stretch to get Sony from your statement.
seem like another butthurt other os person i got mine after that stuff was gone and truth be told i couldn't care any less about it. the other stuff was just hackers being idiots but that's normal in this fucked up world

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Wow, there are genuinely people happy that developers were getting ripped off of by self entitled shits. Well really they were cheering because Sony was targeted by them, yeah stick it to the man, the man who employs 158,500 people worldwide many of which have jobs dependant on the success of their gaming divisions...

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
WanderingFool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Not to knock you but stealing DLC is about the same as stealing a stereo out of a car, sure its optional but its someone else's property. I really don't know why I'm arguing semantics when we both seem to agree that piracy is bad.

Unfortunately I don't think they can fix the issue since it would interfere with using multiple accounts on the same ps3 in the same household without the intent of piracy.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
mjc0961 said:

You know, I had a couple paragraphs written up in response to your insane ramblings, but the way you feel about Sony, for whatever legitimate or illegitimate reasons you have to hate them, aren't going to be changed by my words, so good luck with your vendetta.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
If this is true, then all these clams by Sony saying that PSN is down because of external attack is BS. According to my understanding they brought down PSN themselves to stop this piracy problem.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
HOLY FUCK! weeks....WEEKS this absolute MADHOUSE of RETARDED MONKEYS has gone on.
The planets and stars aligned to riegn down upon that retarded No self-respecting adult would buy the 3DS statement.

SONY, you really need to get your shit in order.

How about in the future you don't try to sell a mini-pc. In the future how about you sell a fucking game console. Sound good? A console to which you play games on and play DVD's or Blue-ray or whatever the fuck. This has gone on faaaaaaaaaaaar too long.

Seriously! excuse me while I go sell whatever little stock I have in sony.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
One guy buys a game or DLC. Then it shows the history of him downloading it. If another person knows the guy's username and password of the guy who bought whatever. Then a person on another ps3 can download the same game or DLC for free. I think this only works 5 times though.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Jumplion said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Jumplion said:
EcksTeaSea said:

ShadowKirby said:
EcksTeaSea said:

Well, if you would like, you may discuss it with me through PM. Just keep it civil n' all, of course, and I won't mind discussing this with you.
For sure my good sir. Expect a PM tomorrow. If you don't get anything, please PM me so I don't forgot.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Signa said:
I was a little pissed at first if this was true, because it would mean that the pirates are shitting on everyone. Then I thought about it a little more, and if I understand things right, a "pirate" who has a hacked console isn't technically allowed on PSN anymore. Therefore, they aren't allowed to even be a Sony customer if they have decided to mod their console. Ergo, Sony, nor devs are actually losing money from these pirates because they just simply wouldn't be capable of buying in the first place. If that's the case, then Sony is a HUGE jackass for shitting on their entire customer base just because they are sad some one is getting free stuff when they told them they weren't allowed to pay for it.
I don't really want to argue about piracy right now, but do you really think that they should just leave such a massive loophole open because the people who first started exploiting it wouldn't have likely bought their games anyway? I'm quite certain that Sony's partners wouldn't appreciate that, and might start looking to do more business with Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve (Steam), and basically any other company if Sony's answer to such a massive exploit is "Eh. They weren't going to buy it anyway, so suck it up."

Plus, you can't deny that there are people out there who would stop paying and start pirating using the exploit if they had found out about it. If they plug the hole, those people are just going to have to keep paying instead.

tony2077 said:
seem like another butthurt other os person i got mine after that stuff was gone and truth be told i couldn't care any less about it. the other stuff was just hackers being idiots but that's normal in this fucked up world
Butthurt? You completely missed the point of what I was trying to say.

Sony removed Install Other OS under the pretense that doing so would increase the security of the PS3.
When they removed it, pissed off hackers went to work, which caused the PS3 to be cracked open like an egg and apparently the Playstation Store has now been cracked open by them as well.
Thus, Sony fucked up big time. They wanted to make their platform more secure, and instead they made it vastly less secure by removing a feature and, under the assumption that everyone would be cool with that, not tightening up any of their extremely weak existing security.

Regardless of whether or not you ever had the opportunity to try Install Other OS, or even would have used it if you did have that opportunity, denying such an obvious screw-up and calling anyone who points it out "butthurt" is missing the point on a level that is staggering.

mojodamm said:
You know, I had a couple paragraphs written up in response to your insane ramblings, but the way you feel about Sony, for whatever legitimate or illegitimate reasons you have to hate them, aren't going to be changed by my words, so good luck with your vendetta.
You are also insanely good at missing the point.