Spider-Man 4 Canceled, Reboot Set for 2012

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I liked the first 2 Spider-Man films, and think it's awesome that Raimi went against Sony instead of making a movie he didn't believe in.

It's much too early for a re-boot. Yeah, there are some small aspects of the original films that could be improved, but the likelihood that they'll just make a complete mockery of the character is much more likely than them doing any good.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
OH BOI That sounds just marvelous. I totally cant wait for them to make it into a teen drama. Oh spidy you nerdishly sly devil you. You smell of Batman.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
FFS? Okay Spidey 3 wasn't great by any stretch of the word, and okay it was pretty crap tastic, but still it didn't wreck the franchise. They could recover from it with a focused story, decent character motivations. I don't see any need for them to go into reboot mode considering there are still plenty of stories and honestly the movie mythos isn't that fucked up compared to the massive story web in the comics. (Killing off villains at the end of each movie is a great way to keep the plot compact.) They essentially downshifted Parker and Mary Janes relationship from pretty much engaged to just dating, and the only other long running plot about Harry Osborne wanting to kill Spidey while being best friends with his alter ego was ended when Harry had a spike shoved through his stomach. (Also he was put on ice for half of the movie thanks to amnesia.) Things weren't so shit they needed to be rebooted. The story had wrapped itself up while still leaving room for future stories and as opposed to the list of core characters expanding (Like in Batman and Robin) They were shrinking.

So once Sam Raimi got rid of all of the loose ends of the trilogy shrank the cast down and got everything nice and neat for a few more movies... The execs just said "Fuck it" and decided to reboot the franchise. Well at least they didn't have him make a deal with the devil.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
this sounds good, i never much cared for Toby McGuire as spiderman, hopefully this reboot might have the franchise go back to the good old days like spiderman the animated series (the 90s one), now THAT spiderman was badass.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Reboot"??

does that mean it'll be another 10 years before we're beyond endless origin stories? Geez! Just tell a cool story!

I'm sick of trilogies that take 5-10 years to make and do nothing more than just set-up the characters, then just stop being made once everything is established to the point we can get a whole movie devoted to things beyond "angtsy coming to terms with new power" taking up most of it, and just have a good show.

Most people who watch these movies already know who the popular superheros are, we don't need a film about their emo highschool days... (AGAIN)]

Dec 16, 2009
lightning38 said:
I just want to know who is fighting. The villains were always the best part.
well Green Goblin will prob make a return as he is the top of Spideys rouges gallery

i hope its none of his new villains from the rebooted comics. alot of them felt very lacking to me

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
If only this Spiderman fad hadn't come along and made Raimi completely rich, we might have a new Evil Dead by now. Sadly enough, at this point I doubt Bruce Campbell would make a good Ash, and in typical Hollywood style he'd end up being the new Ash's Father. And nobody can match Campbell's chin. I mean seriously, how can that man have given up on Evil Dead? They were the best movies he ever made, even after watching Spiderman, and most of Spiderman 2, Evil Dead 1/2 and Army of Darkness had far more personality than either of them. I've never been a fan of superhero's though, but guys with a chainsaw for an arm and a double-barrel shotgun, I say "yes please".

Woem

May 28, 2009
If they take him back that far we'll probably see Black Cat, Morbius and/or Lizard. Until I hear more detail I'm not really looking forward to this.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It better not be like Twilight...

Eh hm. Sounds good! As long as Carnage comes out I'm happy. Who is he? This guy

Hell yeah...

Druss the Legend

Jun 6, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Heppenfeph said:
How about they give Spider-Man back to Marvel and Marvel can make the reboot like they did for the Hulk.
sounds good to me, get him involved in the Avengers movie
This.
I'd also love to see a Ultimate Alliance style movie, with like all the characters of the Marvel Universe, dunno if it would work though, maybe do a couple of movies on the registration act, and no character building shite either.

Dec 16, 2009
Druss the Legend said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Heppenfeph said:
How about they give Spider-Man back to Marvel and Marvel can make the reboot like they did for the Hulk.
This.
I'd also love to see a Ultimate Alliance style movie, with like all the characters of the Marvel Universe, dunno if it would work though, maybe do a couple of movies on the registration act, and no character building shite either.
so your thinking something along the Marvel Civil War comics?
id love to see it but it'd be extremely difficult to pull off, so many stars and the majority of the marvel universe in the story.
maybe Pixar could make a CGI movie of it, that would prob be alot easier to co-ordinate

Druss the Legend

Jun 6, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Druss the Legend said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Heppenfeph said:
This.
so your thinking something along the Marvel Civil War comics?
id love to see it but it'd be extremely difficult to pull off, so many stars and the majority of the marvel universe in the story.
maybe Pixar could make a CGI movie of it, that would prob be alot easier to co-ordinate
Yeah, a CGI movie would probably be best, they could do some cooler fight scenes that would be believable as animation but not in real life.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
For me, the big question is... what are they going to call it?

Xyphon said:
Tom Goldman said:
Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012. Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.
So they're basically remaking the first movie......
Not really. Peter was only in high school in the first movie for the first 30 minutes or so, if I recall correctly, most of the action took place when he was in college and had moved out to live in an apartment with Harry. If they ARE actually taking more inspiration from Ultimate Spider-Man (something I'd love as I'm an Ultimate reader, not a classic reader) then he'd be staying in high school for the whole story, possibly for several movies.

Commander Breetai said:
Why?

I mean, I can understand them redoing Batman, as Batman and Robin was such a joke they actually had to start over and pretend the first movies never happened, but Spiderman was doing pretty well.
Pretty obvious really- it may have been "doing pretty well" but Sam Raimi said he wouldn't be able to have it done in time, so they had to can it anyway. If it was going to be delayed for too long then there's bigger problems to consider than merely waning interest- Tobey Maguire in particular is rapidly getting too old to play the character of Peter Parker (a problem the Harry Potter franchise may be facing with Daniel Radcliffe if they don't pull their fingers out), since after only 3 films worth of stories he's already older than the real comic book version of the character who's been around since the 60s. (In the comic, Peter is now canonically 30 years old [http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/SpiderMan101/SpiderMan101Part6.html]. Check that site out, it's awesome.)

The more insidious, conspiracy-theory suggestion for why they're taking him back to high school is that this gives them an iron-clad excuse to make the movies without Mary Jane, who in the original comics wasn't introduced until Peter entered college. It's no secret that Marvel headman Joe Quesada is a rapid anti-Peter-MJ shipper, who was single-handedly responsible for dissolving the famous spider-marriage after 20 years based on nothing more than his own personal dislike- and doing it by writing the worst comic book story of all time [http://spideykicksbutt.com/DeepThoughts/OneMoreDay.html] while he was at it. Considering that Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are possibly the most recognised comic book couple in the world (only exceeded by Superman and Lois Lane), Joe Q. may see this is a golden opportunity to convince people that MJ ISN'T Peter's one true love after all by having films made without her in them.

Of course, that's a tinfoil hat idea which has virtually no chance of being true and which I just made up for fun- although Marvel HAVE been responsible for stupider stuff than that over the years (Clone Saga anyone?). Of course, Marvel don't actually have the rghts to make the films themselves, that's part of the whole issue, so they don't really have any input (thank Christ for that!) And if the new movie series IS taking its cues directly from Ultimate Spider-Man then MJ is unavoidable, as in that version she was not only Peter's love interest right from the start, but they were also childhood friends as well.