Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
is it to soon to ask for Spider Ma'am ? :p

I'm hyper with the news about Spidey joining the MCU ^_^

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Okay. On one hand, colour me excited! Spidey kicking ass with the Avengers and taking part to the Infinity Wars like it's been historically in the comics? Nice!

On the other hand, to all those saying 'Miles Morales' everywhere?

Yeah. It's not going to happen. Here's why.

1) Miles Morales is tied to the Ultimate Universe, which is a niche market -coincidentally, ever since Ultimate Peter Parker bit it-. Not saying that he's not a well written character, just he's not well known enough to bring even those who have a marginal knowledge of Marvel to the theaters -if you think the billions for the MCU come only from those who were hardcore comic book fans, think again-.

2) The backstory and character of Miles is much more complex and it requires Peter Parker to have existed AND to have died before he took up the tights. If you read the comics you know that a big part of Miles' arc, at least at the beginning, was trying to live up to the legacy of Ultimate Peter -which was the best thing out of the Ultimate Universe, let's be honest. That and his relationship with Ultimate Kitty Pride-. And since Miles is relatively new and not mainstream well known, that can't be addressed in a 'this happened, deal with it' way like they can and probably will with this new Peter.

3) A lot of the strength and appeal of the Marvel Universe is taking/remixing/recreating scenes from the comic books and putting them on the big screen. Peter Parker as Spider-Man has one of the biggest and longest and most variegated vault to pick from. He's fought hundreds of people, both heroes and villains, both his own and of others. He stared down the Ghost Rider, he stopped the Juggernaut, he fought Magneto, Galactus, the Phoenix Force, he was Captain Universe, etc... Miles has, what? Two years? Three?

Now, that said, while Miles is not going to be the newest Spider-Man, this new reboot of the Spider-Man universe could still present an opportunity for him to appear. How?

I suppose you've heard of the Spiderverse crossover event. Well, imagine that basic gist on the screen. You could have Spiderman 2000, Spiderman Noir, Spiderman India, Miles, etcetcetc... All on the same screen together!

But for that to happen, we need good old Peter Parker first.

Who, while has been done to death, has rarely been done as well as they should have. Especially on the big screen. McGuire did well his nerdy side but not the cool joke-quipping confident. Garfield did the latter perfectly, but not the first. It was pretty much glossed over in the AMS movies. So this is a chance to finally find an actor who will be to Spiderman what Tony Stark is to Iron-Man.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Huh...curious to see how this will work, especially if they reboot Spidey AGAIN. Also, I wonder if Sony will also loan Spidey out to the Fox (X-Men and Fantastic Four) universe. If so, does one universe get Peter Parker, while another gets Miles Morales (or Miguel O'Hara)?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Trishbot said:
... While we're at it, would it be too weird to recast Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson?
Could we just have her play every character? as much as i loved Garfield as Peter Parker, Emma Stone killed it on those movies.

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
spartandude said:
Trishbot said:
... While we're at it, would it be too weird to recast Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson?
Could we just have her play every character? as much as i loved Garfield as Peter Parker, Emma Stone killed it on those movies.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ravenshrike said:
It actually saddens be that this wasn't organized from the start of ASM. Because like the movies or not, Garfield made for an awesome Spiderman. A middling, but not horrible, Peter Parker perhaps, but an awesome Spiderman.
It kind of was - Sony did try to not contradict the Marvel Movies in any way (e.g. the Osborn Building was supposed to make a cameo in Avengers - but that got scrapped due Avengers being too far in developement, several hints of other marvel events and the cranes we see in one of the movies are apparently part of the aftermath of The Avengers)
So, they did plan it right away but prayed to not have to rely on it, I assume.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Actor becomes absolutely perfect Gwen Stacy.

Absolutely perfect Gwen Stacy is introduced into the Marvel Comics.

Come on.

Come onnnnnnn.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am 99% sure there is also a deal in the works involving the Fantastic Four, but Sony is waiting to see just how badly it the current film will do before working out the details.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
As cool as this is to hear, I feel kind of bad for Andrew Garfield losing the part. He made a better Peter Parker than Tobey, and he made him funny again. I had also hoped Sony would just give the whole bloody franchise back to Marvel, but it will be interesting to think of how he will be introduced in the MCU, with all the other heroes already around.
unacomn said:

Guess that describes it best.
Which comic is that Iron-hug scene from? Is it when Jonathan Hickman took over writing The Avengers?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Trishbot said:
It's a long-shot, but can we rehire J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson? If Judi Dench can survive a reboot, we can bring back THE man born to play this role.

To the first: YES. It would be borderline criminal not to cast Simmons as Jamesone; dude is fucking scarilly good at playing him, it's like someone invented a machine that pulled JJJ right out of the pages.

To the second, eh they could get away with it, Garfield isn't playing Spider Man, so I'm sure they could manage recasting Mary Jane. She's not been treated too well in the live action films to be honest, she was seriously shtie in Rameis films and she's not really Mary Jane in Amazing Spiderman either.

God, she's dreadful in Ramei's films, she just fumbles about in all three films, spends most of the time being overly emotional, flitting about from one thought to the next, gets a serious stick up her arse about something an is basically a non entity. Considering how progressive MJ was as a female character was in comics at the time, it's a shame she's not been treated better. She's worse than Lois was in Man of Steel.

ravenshrike said:
It actually saddens be that this wasn't organized from the start of ASM. Because like the movies or not, Garfield made for an awesome Spiderman. A middling, but not horrible, Peter Parker perhaps, but an awesome Spiderman.
mm, I will agree that Garfield was great as Spiderman, but just awfully written as Peter, he was already a cool, skateboarding, handsome, athletic kid before getting bitten, kinda taking away from Peters origins massively.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Not G. Ivingname said:
I am 99% sure there is also a deal in the works involving the Fantastic Four, but Sony is waiting to see just how badly it the current film will do before working out the details.
Fox owns the movie rights to the Fantastic Four not Sony, Sony only owns Spiderman and characters who first appeared in Spiderman titled books.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Meinos Kaen said:

1) Miles Morales is tied to the Ultimate Universe, which is a niche market -coincidentally, ever since Ultimate Peter Parker bit it-. Not saying that he's not a well written character, just he's not well known enough to bring even those who have a marginal knowledge of Marvel to the theaters -if you think the billions for the MCU come only from those who were hardcore comic book fans, think again-.
Guardians Of The Galaxy rather contradicts that, though, doesn't it? An entirely unknown and new team - set in space, with weirdness (though not enough for my liking) - sure trumps what would be seen as an 'alt-Spidey' in the who-the-hell-are-they stakes.

At this stage people are being drawn to the MCU because it's a Marvel [Studios] film - not the individual characters. Very few punters would've ever heard of Black Panther or Strange, but they'll see the films because they'll be marketed quite well and be blockbusters worth seeing.

I also don't see any major stumbling blocks for Morales to be the MCU's Spidey. So far, the MCU borrows from both the vanilla 'verse/s, as well as the Ultimate, and sometimes puts an original tweak on things. Stark's origin was Ultimate, as was Cap's version, and Fury's 100% The Ultimates. We've also seen Parker done to death already, and frankly his screen version now seems rather boring compared to Marvel's own offerings.

Either way, dull Parker or Morales, I hope the actor's young, because that would bring a very different kind of energy to the films, and Marvel/Disney really need to be careful about just fitting into a factory-set groove. They need to mix things up more.
CaptainMarvelous said:
OT: Don Glover as Miles Morales, there, all is well and the Samuel L Jackson full circle moment swings around again. Seriously, even as a standalone movie, Miles and his relationship with his uncle would make an AWESOME movie (you'd probably need a younger actor but still, win!).
Never seen (or heard) him in anything, actually, but I know he's a popular choice for a fair few [obvious] reasons. Still, he's 31, and I don't think that's what would serve the MCU best.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, this is depressing. Why?

-Toby McGuire, Rami: 2002-2007.

-Andrew Garfield, Webb: 2012-2014

-Unknown, likely Civil War: 2016-?

Three Spider-Men, two reboots, in the span of a decade (2007-2016). I'd say I'd be surprised and apalled at this, but of course, everything needs to be part of a cinematic universe now. God forbid that studios try to focus on making good individual movies. I'd mind more if I actually liked the first Amazing Spider-Man, but it's a sad state of affairs where this kind of thing is par for the course. Keep regurgitating the same material ad nauseum.

Or, in other words, two reboots within the same decade. That's all I have to say from now until the end of time whenever people ask why I dislike the MCU and the 'movies' Marvel produces.

capcanabis

Feb 11, 2015
Aaron Paul should be the new Spiderman, and he should be front and center of any of the MCU characters. Iron Man was never a HUGE comic hit until they made the movies, Thor and its sequels pulled decent revenue #s according to wiki.... Avengers movie did well. But the Sam Rami and the ASM movies still pulled very good numbers, although ASM2 was called a flop still took in 700 million.

Need a Venom movie, or at least as the only bad guy (in his mind he thinks he is saving innocents), and he has to be cast better than Topher Grace who just couldn't pull off one liners as well as in the comics, and the same could be said for Tobey as Spidey too.

X-Men are doing just fine with Fox, I don't foresee a change there.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Meinos Kaen said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy rather contradicts that, though, doesn't it? An entirely unknown and new team - set in space, with weirdness (though not enough for my liking) - sure trumps what would be seen as an 'alt-Spidey' in the who-the-hell-are-they stakes.

At this stage people are being drawn to the MCU because it's a Marvel [Studios] film - not the individual characters. Very few punters would've ever heard of Black Panther or Strange, but they'll see the films because they'll be marketed quite well and be blockbusters worth seeing.

I also don't see any major stumbling blocks for Morales to be the MCU's Spidey. So far, the MCU borrows from both the vanilla 'verse/s, as well as the Ultimate, and sometimes puts an original tweak on things. Stark's origin was Ultimate, as was Cap's version, and Fury's 100% The Ultimates. We've also seen Parker done to death already, and frankly his screen version now seems rather boring compared to Marvel's own offerings.

Either way, dull Parker or Morales, I hope the actor's young, because that would bring a very different kind of energy to the films, and Marvel/Disney really need to be careful about just fitting into a factory-set groove. They need to mix things up more.
CaptainMarvelous said:
OT: Don Glover as Miles Morales, there, all is well and the Samuel L Jackson full circle moment swings around again. Seriously, even as a standalone movie, Miles and his relationship with his uncle would make an AWESOME movie (you'd probably need a younger actor but still, win!).
Never seen (or heard) him in anything, actually, but I know he's a popular choice for a fair few [obvious] reasons. Still, he's 31, and I don't think that's what would serve the MCU best.
Well, yeah, but you're thinking of this in terms of 'MCU wants to add another notch to their belt'. That's not what's happening here.

The thing is, the MCU worked so well because of its actors tied to their roles. Particularly RDJ, and those same actors either want more money or want to go do other stuff -hell, Evans wants to quit acting altogether-. MCU doesn't need SpiderMan simply to add value, they want something they can anchor the entire Universe on for a time to not let people leave if their actors also leave. Spidey can do that by name alone.

I'm the first to admit that GotG was AWESOME -better than Avengers, if you ask me- but it was still a shot in the dark. Could have worked and could have not worked. They can't take that kind of risk in this transitional phase. Hence, the need for Peter Parker as Spidey. Except for him, maybe only Wolverine has the same star power no matter the media he's in.

And we know where Wolvie is right now.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Which comic is that Iron-hug scene from? Is it when Jonathan Hickman took over writing The Avengers?
Yes, that's the writer. It's from Avengers Volume 5, issue 2.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Ahh, it's partially because he inspired the Miles Morales thing. He said he wanted to play Spiderman, Bendis saw it, thought hell why not and thus Miles Moraales. That's a massively abridged (and likely inaccurate due to lack of details) version, but it's also why a lot of people see him as the best bet. He voices the character in the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon, too.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Fox owns the movie rights to the Fantastic Four not Sony, Sony only owns Spiderman and characters who first appeared in Spiderman titled books.

Oh.

I am dumb. X_X