Splinter Cell Stunt Goes Stupidly Wrong

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
If they had a guy that looked that Sam Fisher kick the shit out of him then it would have been an OK stunt, but jsut having some crazy guy walk into a bar and wave a gun around isn't a good idea ever.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
On the bright side, everybody went straight to their local games retailer afterwards to preorder their copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction and have a good chuckle about the whole misunderstanding!

...is what the people who organised the whole mess were probably thinking. What a bunch of idiots.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
How was this supposed to promote Conviction?

Would some guy dressed like Sam Fisher just pop in and whack the guy around the head?

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
When they were talking about this did no one say "You know,this could backfire" I mean seriously.. can you imagine whoever pitched this pitching it:

"Okay guys, ive got a great idea, Lets dress someone up like a phyco, give him a realistic looking fake gun, and send him into a bar to threaten people!"

"BRILLIENT!"

I mean come on, EVEN if people had known it was a fake gun, if i was in a bar trying to enjoy a drink and some asshole comes in pointing a fake gun at me, it certainly wouldent make me want to buy his game, and would most likely end in a ass kicking.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I can't believe these people seriously thought that would be a good idea. I think pretty much EVERYONE ELSE EVER knows this was incredibly ill-advised.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I missed this when it first got put up.

Strictly speaking I feel there must be more to this story because honestly I'm not sure how this could have helped the game even if everything had gone "right". Not enough people involved.

Of course it's always possible it DID go right, because despite looking like idiots, their name and the game's name are out there now and it didn't cost them much money to do in all likelyhood.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
FoolKiller said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
That little act of stupid is now given the *facepalm*. I mean seriously if you didn't want people thinking you were serious then use a gun with an orange tip on the end.
Good point. Could you imagine if this had been done in a gun-happy place in the US?
I can, actually. Chances are that someone in the crowd would be packing, the guy who pulled the stunt would have been (appropriately) mistaken for a mass-shooter, and Mr. Sam Fisher wannabe would have several small-caliber holes in his torso.

Edit: Oh fiddlesticks, I've been Ninja'd

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
How was this even a stunt really I don't get how this advertises the game at all the guy wasn't dressed like fisher,didn't us and acrobatic moves and didn't even use stealth I honestly don't see how this was anyway relatible to the game.

Nov 9, 2009
A PR stunt is an event designed to draw as much attention to something as possible. Seeing as this page has 128 people commenting on it and news coverage, it was actually successful, and I doubt the firm has any regrets.

Think about it. Do they get publicity from a guy waving a gun in a bar of around 50 people, or from the millions arguing and the free news coverage?

Think about it people.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
Has anyone figured out how the "bandaged hand guy threatening people in a restaurant" actually connects to the game?

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
How could have this have gone right? what was their plan? To hold people at gunpoint and hand out fliers?!

1. Send armed gunman into town

2. Threaten people

3. ????????

4. PROFIT!
Perfect example.
I still don't see how they thought this was smart. Or did they?