Splurges, bad game buys, impulse buys.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I have had a bunch of these, happens all the time, especially in used game stores. I have poor impulse control when it comes to gaming and food. But there are some I wish I never did. The top 3 in terms of expense were Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 collectors edition(80 bucks for a metal case because that was more fun to use then the game), Fable 3 collectors edition(just a terrible game), most recently Dishonored(just didn't like it that much, not worth the buy).

The worst buy I ever made buy far was a 5$ game called Two Worlds, absolutely the worst game I have ever played, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I am ashamed that I played it.

The-Fiction

Sep 9, 2011
I bought the Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition for the Xbox on impulse but that ended up being a wise move...

I also bought Sniper Elite: V2 on impulse... that was less of a wise move. Played it for a few days after I got it and could never get into it. Shall attempt it again at some point.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
The DS game known as...Tao's Adventure why did i buy that junk in the first place? because people said it was a spiritual successor to Azure Dreams (which was underrated, but potentially challenging) but Tao itself.....it felt extremely slowpaced and gabby about things, having to draw the spells sucked.

The original Azure Dreams formula had a protagonist whose levels resetted every time he entered the tower, meaning that you could bring in a weapon/shield of your choice which might have been strengthened by special sand you found inside the dungeon, you could also fuse monsters and hatch monsters from eggs you find inside the tower.

I have played it long enough just to bare through the beginner island that...gets turned to stone or something? then just gave up once i actually entered the main dungeon (!), i really wonder if it's lengthy beginning was because newer games has more to mess about with, with more space for textures and sounds, whereas older Gameboy games might have had less memory to work with, justifying the hasty speed and charm of the sprites....

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
Bioshock 2. Seriously, frack that game.

A more positive one would be SMT: Nocturne. Tried my friend's copy, didn't like it, saw it in a store a couple months later, thought "hey, that game's rare. I'll probably never see another new copy again", and bought it. One of my favorite PS2 games now. Did the same thing with Final Fantasy 7, even though I already had the PSN version on my PSP.

I also just bought MGS: Portable Ops Plus because it was only ten bucks. Never played MGS before. Pretty enjoyable so far, not a huge fan of the control scheme though.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Easy one. Starpoint Gemini:

PC PowerPlay
Mar 31, 2011
Pretty screenshots are the only thing salvaged from this space debris. [Apr 2011, p.63]

Playing The System

Oct 24, 2012
A game called "The Haunted: Hells Reach", I'm always up for a game that has a little horror glimmer shining through it, and if it's also a cheap game then that glimmer just shines brighter at me.

It's not really that bad of a game, just kinda generic and unimpressive I guess, ah well, only a few pounds where spent and I got to shoot some demons in the head for a little while before getting bored.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I bought some point and click adventure called machinerium or somthing because it came with a poster (I dont even like point and click)

I bought splintercell conviction cheap because it came with a figure

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Britney's Dance Beats (Ps2):
Okay, so I KNEW this game was going to be HORRID...but it's not even 'so bad, it's kind of cool' sort of bad.
It's just BAD, just...bad.

Gave it to some random friend of a friend because I'm an ass.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I bought Fear 3 for $30 in a Steam sale, I enjoyed the first one but Fear 3 I played for about 40 mins then never touched it again.

Alternatively, an impulse buy that turned out to be really good was when I went to buy Saints Row 3 and saw Dark Souls for a cheap price and bought that instead. One of the best decisions I ever made as Dark Souls is an amazing game and Saints Row 3 is pretty crappy.

Apr 5, 2008
I impulsively bought mirror's edge for PC because it was original and the freefunning idea sounded interesting. It was so bad I returned it to the store for a refund for being shit.

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
Daikatana... it's John Romero, it has to be good right? Right?? Well uh... nope, apparently not.

Darkspore was another. "Oh cool, it's like Diablo meets Spore.. in space". It just feels so... pointless.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Another one, The Witcher 2, such a terrible splurge, never played the first one, was totally lost, gameplay was very difficult for easy mode, minimap really really sucked. Ended up trading it for Fall of Cybertron.

Vancleef

Jul 6, 2010
I went to buy Metroid Prime Trilogy, and strangely came out with New Super Mario Bros Wii.
It was an ok game, but it was absolutely not worth the price I paid for it(650 SEK).

650 SEK is about 97 Dollars, according to xe.com

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I bought Darksiders for the full $60...yeah not a good idea.

Then there was the time I ignored my impulse to buy the Borderlands 2 Ultimate...eh you know where I'm going with this.