Splurges, bad game buys, impulse buys.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Patrick Buck said:
Brink. Oh GOD Brink.
It was fun for the first 2 missions or so, then... URGH. Not fun at all. EH.
...you finished the second mission? My currently-unworn hat is off to you, friend. I didn't even get that far.

Yeah, I preordered that pile of crap. Immersive story-driven play, my pasty white rump. Singleplayer was multiplayer with idiot bots.
Good sir, I finished the whole game. But don't worry, I was quite drunk by the end of it, so I don't remember that much.

Also, I have to tell you, your avatar is similar to mine, and that makes you a wolf-bro. :p

Also, the multiplayer was shocking as well. So unfun. Antifun. It was like paying someone to punch you in the face. Then being told it was good.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Little Big Planet 2. I rented it when it first came out and almost got the end in that time, but had to return it. A few months later I saw it for £20 new and thought "Aha! Now I can finally finish it and I'll spend loads of time on the custom levels like I did in the last game". Turns out I was maybe 20 minutes away from finishing the game and I played maybe four custom levels before it went to the back of the shelf never to be played again.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I got the Dawn of War franchise pack in the Steam summer sale. Best £17.49 I ever spent. Actually that sale was full of good impulse buys.

From actual shops I nabbed Mirrors Edge and Space Marine on 360 for a total of about £11 not too long ago, also totally worth it.

As for stupid ones. I bought Fallout 3 on Steam not long after it came out and it would barely run at all on my pc at the time, so I had to wait for the console version price to come down so I could actually play it.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I can never say this enough when these threads pop up. Anyone heard of the Front Mission series? Known for being a decent Turn based strategy (I think) with some decent Mech customization and some RPG parts?

Does anybody know the god awful insulting thing known as Front Mission EVOLVED. Well if you do I have some brain bleach for you so you can forget it again hopefully. Seriously I would rather play E.T or something ridiculously stupid or boring (*raises flame shields* Like Oblivion or Skyrim. Sorry I just hate them.) than play Front Mission Evolved.

There is nothing "Evolved" about turning a turn based strategy role playing game into a Third Person Shooter with shitty graphics, voice acting, story, well shitty EVERYTHING Seriously? WHY!? What would possess you to do that?

/rant

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
GSP66 said:
Assasin's Creed Revelations: OK someone has to wrangle those pricks at Ubisoft tie them to a chair, grab a blowhorn and scream at the top of their lungs "ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING ANNUAL SEQUELS". All it does is force all creativity through the wringer. Didn't you see this shit happen with the Tomb Raider franchise you French-Canadian dipshits.
Oh lord Revelations. I bought it thinking that it was a better version of II and Brotherhood, thinking that it would blow Brotherhood out the water after a slight story disappointment. Revelations was like trying to customize a Mac (haha, previous thread I posted in was about Macs); aka, FUCKING BORING and my time would be better spent 100%ing ACII or Brotherhood.

A good(?) example would be Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. That, my friends is a good Wii game using the pointer.

Hmm? I'm on the Escapist you say?

Deal with it. The Wii had good games in it's whole category of crap.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Pretty much anything on a steam sale. Now don't get me wrong I have picked up a few good deals but mostly I'll see something and be like 'Well for three bucks it can't be that bad!' god how wrong I am.

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
Hmm, I wanted into the Planetside 2 beta and I planned on playing it quiet a bit so I got the alpha pack at 40 bucks. Turns out the beta is so horribly optimized that I can't play it in its current state. I basically now have 4000 Station Cash that I have no use for and a bunch of perks for a game that I cannot play until December when it launches *and is hopefully optimized*
I really want that 40 bucks back as well >.< Oh well, learn from ones mistakes right?

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
I bought Front Lines: Fuel of War, for about $1.50 (US), only to find out my computer didn't run it. It wouldn't even install correctly.

Lost Planet, I only bought it because I thought killing bugs in a mech suit would be cool. It was, but the game isn't done very well. Not good conveyance, and really just average.

CoD Modern Warefare 3: The only reason I got it was because I thought the multiplayer would at least be as good as MW2, and be less like Black Op's style of multiplayer. I was wrong.

The Wykydtron said:
What the hell are those maps!? What the hell are these killstreaks?! What the hell is this balance?! What the hell is this lag?! Why are the maps so uninteresting and/or ugly to look at?! So many questions!

I have no idea what the shit they were thinking about the maps. It's like they noticed Nuketown was popular so they made every map as small as Nuketown as possible without thinking why it was popular to begin with...
Essentially, this.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
I saw a game called Eternal Poison on a Gamestop shelf, saw it was from Atlus, figured it had to have some merits to it.

*grooooooan*

I couldn't deal with all the loading and laggy. A turn-based strategy should never take that fucking long to do ANYTHING.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Most of my PS2 games count as bad impulse buys... but more recently.

Godfather 2
Resonance of Fate
Folklore
Bioshock 2
Dead Rising 2

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
Star Fox Adventures for $60. The worst part (other than the game itself) was that I was trying to decide between that and Metroid Prime.
On the other side, one of my best buys ever was Metroid Prime for $15.
Best purchase would have to be Fire Emblem GBA. It was $25, but that game has never been cheap and it might be the only JRPG I like.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I bought all three of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games during the steam sale so now I have that along with three other games on my back list for gaming.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Guild Wars 2. Bought it on impulse and pretty much hated it. It was just so boring, and the combat system was frankly terrible. The art style was rather nice though.

On the other hand I bought Vanquish randomly for $10 and it was fantastic.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Karoshi said:
Sacred 2. I remember the first one to be fairly good and Diablo-like, so I didn't give the purchase much thought.

The opening cinematic left me literally with this expression: o_O Cheesy storytelling? Check. Shitty boring fantasy? Check. A horrible rock-tune which degrades its whole genre? Check. One of the most awful trailers I have ever seen.

The gameplay was shit too, so I never touched it again.
Oh God yes, Sacred 2. Friend of mine pushed me to buy it. Niggled me about it for an entire freaking month, because that piece of crap was supposedly better than Diablo II. Seriously.

Better than Diablo II.

The mind boggles.

And yeah, Blind Guardian's in there, but the game is just so freaking cheesy and horrible I can't take squat about it seriously! You've got humans, elves and, what, robotic... Anubis... Thingies...?

Someone's making a cheap-ass Eberron rip-off, here.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
both versions of two worlds, because the first one on xbox was buggy as hell and the second was downright re-fucking-tarded.
New Vegas at launch. (Now its ok and since I only paid 8 bucks on steam for the full game+DLC...)
Vampire's Kiss, Bayonetta (sorry I hate that game), Force Unleashed 2 for the horrible CANON ending and short ass gameplay... FFXIII

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
i never splurge on games. i buy whatever is good and cheap, and got good reviews,
but relying on reviews has made me buy games that i didnt like like mirrors edge, original assassins creed, and few other games i.dont remember.