Splurges, bad game buys, impulse buys.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I haven't impulse buy'd in a long time, but I have made regrettable purchases.

Most of them were on handhelds. Like GBA or DS games.

Despite there being some really good DS games, there are A LOT of really shitty ones.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I have a huge backlog of games but I just keep buying them SOMEONE STOP ME!!! Most of the time it's because they are on the cheap though.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Same same, actually.

I got f&*ked by my insurance company and so bought Dishonored on a whim. Also some personal... welp won't bore you with that, suffice to say Yahtzee once again puts his finger on the sore spot.

Still, it's fun to actually be a rat for once (thank you Critical Miss).

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
SirDeadly said:
I bought a PS3 on impulse. Got FIFA 13 with it so I'm not complaining.
I did too, except mine came with Uncharted 3...... It lets me play Journey and Tokyo Jungle... AND I has blue ray now so.......

My biggest regret purchase though, Modern Warfare 3..... My friend coerced me into getting it for the full sticker price of $60........ Dumb move.... Played it all of 20 minutes

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
worst impulse buy I can think of right now is "E.Y.E divine cybermancy" which I got because it was cheap and had a kickass trailer, shame the actual game is terrible.

Best would be STALKER COP which I wasn't expecting a whole lot from but turned out to be one of the best games I have ever played.

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I guess it just wasn't to my taste, despite all the rave reviews. Never got past the first few missions before getting bored.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Sacred 2. I remember the first one to be fairly good and Diablo-like, so I didn't give the purchase much thought.

The opening cinematic left me literally with this expression: o_O Cheesy storytelling? Check. Shitty boring fantasy? Check. A horrible rock-tune which degrades its whole genre? Check. One of the most awful trailers I have ever seen.

The gameplay was shit too, so I never touched it again.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
My brother and I went on (not sure what to call it) to find all the Burger King games for the 360. Which was quickly resolved with a call to a couple Gamestops in the area. We spend about $3 in all.

Pocket Bike Racers was alright, probably the most playable.
Big Bumpin' was really hard to control
Sneak King was boring, repetetive, and creepy.
But now I have them all.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Alpha protocol for PC

Too Human

Those are the two gigantic ones for me, i loved Alpha on the xbox but the pc version SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED and too human... well i wiped that from my mind with brain bleach so i don't know what it is anymore, all i know is those two words and the gag reflex that comes with them.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
I have.... Weird ones.
Blazblue 1 and 2 and Disgaea 3.
Don'thitmepleasewaitIcanexplain!

They are truly amazing games that I absolutely love, but not on console. Give them to me on my PSP and eventually my hand will become a gnarled claw around the damn thing and I have poured hours into the portable versions of these franchises, but for some reason, when I bought the console versions (which I did before the portable versions) I could never be bothered to play them. Eventually I ended up trading them in with only a few hours sunk into them.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Back when I was a wee little lad, I wanted a war game for my PS1 (the white one). The one I picked was something called Spec Ops: Something or Other. My brother and I never finished it. The GPS was useless, the aiming and shooting confusing, and the graphics tough to look at, even for that generation.

Paranoah

Oct 23, 2012
well this is a bit different, bought and played skyrim never touched any of the elder scrolls or fallout series the came steam summersale i bought fallout 3 and NV TES morrowing and oblivion i dont know if it was a "bad" buy yet but i will never have the time to play them all, also it was all GOTY editions so all the dlc aswell.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Last big one was definitely Resident Evil 6. Holy crap was that a piece of garbage. Gamestop gave me $45 for it, so I consider it a $15 lesson well learned.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Dead Rising and L.A. Noire. I regret paying a total of forty bucks on those two.

Now, L.A. Noire isn't bad, but I'm SOOOOOO bad at it. Seriously, I can't play that game to save my life.

Dead Rising is just total shit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Patrick Buck said:
Brink. Oh GOD Brink.
It was fun for the first 2 missions or so, then... URGH. Not fun at all. EH.
...you finished the second mission? My currently-unworn hat is off to you, friend. I didn't even get that far.

Yeah, I preordered that pile of crap. Immersive story-driven play, my pasty white rump. Singleplayer was multiplayer with idiot bots.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I picked up Enchanted Arms from a used-only retailer (literally, they're like a pawn shop, but they only sell electronics. Consoles, games, movies, CDs, etc.) for around $10, because at the time, I really wanted a decent RPG for my 360. I played it for... 45 minutes. MAYBE. When I took it in to EB Games for a trade, I wound up getting $20 for it. I have no idea why: even the guy behind the counter was baffled when we saw what it traded for. So, basically, I got paid to play that game, and it was still a piece of junk.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I bought Dragon Ball: Ultimate Tenkaichi because the box art looked cool, and gave me a sudden spark of nostalgia. To be succinct, the game was disappointing.

I also bought Dragon's Dogma on impulse. It wasn't as disappointing as Ultimate Tenkaichi, but it just didn't really strike that fantasy sweet-spot I was aiming for.