Splurges, bad game buys, impulse buys.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
EHKOS said:
I bought Darksiders for the full $60...yeah not a good idea.

Then there was the time I ignored my impulse to buy the Borderlands 2 Ultimate...eh you know where I'm going with this.
I loved darksiders, great game.

My worst impulse buy was Mercenaries 2, its the only game that I was sold on by an ad.
Brilliant fucken ad, too bad the game sucks.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Pokemon Black.

Cliff notes: Wasn't excited about. Gave it a chance and bought it. Hasn't changed my opinion of it or the 5th Gen to this day.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Dishonored. While I enjoyed the game it wasn't worth the price tag. I would have been better served going back to Skyrim and playing a sneaky thief/assassin until the price came down.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Tera collectors edition (really wanted that compass)
Deus Ex (played like 3 maybe 4 hours of it)
The Kings bounty collection (bleh jsut bleh)

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
KingsGambit said:
I impulsively bought mirror's edge for PC because it was original and the freefunning idea sounded interesting. It was so bad I returned it to the store for a refund for being shit.

Mirror's Edge is one of the most original games to come out this gen, so you should love that game with all your heart...

Just kidding, you are welcome to your opinion, it's still a great game though.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Worst ever: Guild Wars Nightfall Collector's Edition. Played it for maybe 5 hours. Couldn't get into it at all. Already had Factions, which was.. allright, but I HATED the city environment and stuff, so I figured what the hell, my closest friends play it, I'll give it a shot. Didn't work.

Not great, but was on sale: Mass Effect 1 and 2 this past christmas Steam sales. Sure, they were cheap, and my brother love them, and I love DA:O, so what the hey, but no, I keep trying, gotten 9 hours into ME1, but it just doesn't grow on me. I like the story, some of the characters and the dialogue, but the gameplay.. and OH GOD THE COMBAT! It's just so bad.

Best impulse buy ever: Humble Bundle 5. Didn't much like Sword & Sworcery, or Lone Survivor, but Braid, Super Meat Boy, Psychonauts and the glorious awesome that is Bastion. Pure love.

Honorable mention to Just Cause 2, which I got for 5$ on Steam. Bad story, but the pure, unadulterated FUN of it is great.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Bought Duke Nukem Forever for £2. Already heard it was terrible, but was convinced that nothing worth £2 could be that disappointing... how wrong I was...

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Brink...I pre-ordered the hell out of that game. I was REALLY, REALLY looking forward to it...It didn't fail to disappoint.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Dishonored.

Seriously. Shortest game ever with only 8 missions. Most of which have their objectives up front or easily accessible. Its like no matter how weak your guy was, you still won. Hell, you can bypass all sneaking purely by using blink to get from high place to high place, the first power you ever get. The guards never look up.

Corvo might as well be a vengeful helicopter.

Sure its fun, but for 60 dollars? I don't think so.
I hate to say this, but you're playing it wrong.
Treat it like an action game, and you might end up with a 4-hour blinkathon. Take your time, explore, collect, and turn off the objective markers, though, and it's about 20 hours.

On topic: I have far too many of these. Including entire game packs that I've never installed, let alone played. Ah, Steam, thou vile temptress! Release me from these bonds!

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Got Saints Row the Third on impulse after hearing how crazy it was. It's alright I guess, but all the crazy seems to be in the cut-scenes, the gameplay seems mostly standard-fare.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Bayonetta was an impulse buy and that game is goddamn awesome. Apparently I ordered 999 on the DS from Amazom at some point... You know it's an impulse buy when you place it at 3 in the morning, forget you ever placed it then weeks later ohh random game time! Just beat the first puzzle with only a little help from GameFAQs. Shut up, it was 10 at night I can't do maths at that time.

MW3 wasn't an impulse buy exactly. My friend wanted me to get it and I had some money spare so I got it. Only put 5 hours in the single player and 4 hours in the multiplayer. 9 hours wasted

The MP is so bad, the SP was somewhat ok but nowhere near worth $40 but god the multiplayer...

What the hell are those maps!? What the hell are these killstreaks?! What the hell is this balance?! What the hell is this lag?! Why are the maps so uninteresting and/or ugly to look at?! So many questions!

I have no idea what the shit they were thinking about the maps. It's like they noticed Nuketown was popular so they made every map as small as Nuketown as possible without thinking why it was popular to begin with...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Speaking of impulse buys, that was weird. I just got a huge urge to go and buy Pulsefire Ezreal... I got curious as to how much the voice changed and research indicates that it's fucking awesome!

I was seriously going to buy that hugely expensive (yet awesome) skin. Thankfully (or not?) RP purchases are disabled because of maintenance at the moment.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Settlers 7.... how the fuck did it go so bad.. Ubisoft, you had one job. ONE JOB! and that was to recreate the same game you had done 5 times, a game. That was so simple that my grandmother could play it, and you dumped it down. So my threeyearold brother could play it.... why? This was not appealing to a wider market.. This was a blob, and you killed the series because of it.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Kane & Lynch 2.

I know, I know. I didn't do my research. I liked the first one and thought it would be better. When it wasn't, I decided to never say anything about the game again in shame.

To be fair, I was still drunk from the night before.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I've bought a bunch of Indie games I've barely touched, however those were all still good. There were a few older games I picked up on Steam Sales I don't feel like playing, however still good. My steam library is basically filled with those, with a few games I played through or a lot and like.