SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My 49ers beat the Seahawks... AGAIN. Wasn't pretty, but we won. And with the Cowboys beating the Eagles, my Niners are officially the #1 seed in the NFL. This actually caused a fight in my household. My girlfriend is both a Seahawks and Eagles fan, and my complete and utter lack of sympathy for her losses mad me a "jerk" and an "asshole." I joyfully reminded her that I've hated the Seahawks a lot longer than I've loved her, and neither affects the other. Her ire was further fueled when I celebrated her Eagles losing. Can't excuse that one; I hate the Cowboys, but if their win boosted the Niners up in the rankings, I'm not complaining. She went to bed in another room, but snuggled up with me in the middle of the night. I kissed her forehead, and said quietly "Let's go, Fo' Nine." She smacked me, and went to sleep.:ROFLMAO:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My 49ers trounced the Cardinals, the Saints beat the Giants, and because God is good, the Cowboys LOST big time to the Bills. Yesterday was a wonderous day of football. Now, I'm torn over tonight's matchup between the Eagles and the Seahawks. If the Eagles win, it's that much tougher for us to keep the #1 seed in the NFC; if the Seahawks win, it's a win for a divisional rival and a team I've hated for so long, I can't practically root for them in any situation. Best case scenario for me is a tactical nuke that just takes out both teams, but Putin's phone keeps sending me to voicemail.

Anyway, in Formula 1 news, Alfa Romeo has officially bowed out of the sport, and now my driver (Valtteri Bottas) drives for "Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber"... yeah. It's a mouthful, and officially the worst name any F1 team has ever held, and thankfully only a temporary one since Audi is supposed to step in where Alfa Romeo left off in 2026. I'll still buy the swag (I do every year) but I know I'll feel like this for the next two years:

1702924845971.png

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
You know, back in the 80's when american football tried one of it's many unsuccesful attempts to break into the European market and I was a wee nipper, I supported the Seahawks because I thought they had a cool design on their helmets. I think I watched them lose a superbowl. Go Hawks.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You know, back in the 80's when american football tried one of it's many unsuccesful attempts to break into the European market and I was a wee nipper, I supported the Seahawks because I thought they had a cool design on their helmets. I think I watched them lose a superbowl. Go Hawks.
Have the NFL's attempts at garnering European interest been unsuccessful, though? They keep adding games, and crowds keep showing up. I love the European games; the stadiums fill with every jersey from every team. I'd almost argue those games are better than those stateside as every play is met with cheers since [technically] neither team has a homefield advantage. Not saying the NFL is trying to expand and have a permanent presence in Europe, but hosting games there seems to have been a massive success.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Have the NFL's attempts at garnering European interest been unsuccessful, though? They keep adding games, and crowds keep showing up. I love the European games; the stadiums fill with every jersey from every team. I'd almost argue those games are better than those stateside as every play is met with cheers since [technically] neither team has a homefield advantage. Not saying the NFL is trying to expand and have a permanent presence in Europe, but hosting games there seems to have been a massive success.
Oh yeah, people go to exhibition matches when they play, but the actual NFL, i.e the regular games not hosted just down the road as a spectacle, never make much of an inroad.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh yeah, people go to exhibition matches when they play, but the actual NFL, i.e the regular games not hosted just down the road as a spectacle, never make much of an inroad.
What are you distinguishing as "exhibition matches?" Those are regular season games played over there; they count towards each participating team's win/loss records just as those played here in the States; there's nothing throwaway about them. And since the league has done nothing but add overseas games to the schedule, I think the inroads have been made. But I'm not over there; I have no idea what NFL fandom looks like or is appreciated save for what I see on TV when a stadium packs out, but the NFL is nothing if not good on cash; international games aren't there because the league is desperate for relevance. They're supposedly adding games in Brazil next year, so between London, Germany, Mexico, and Brazil, they've got audiences who will show up outside of the States; not sure how much more of an inroads you can expect unless your expectation is that of a permanent fixture in the form of a European team which I don't think anyone has considered in the near-term.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
What are you distinguishing as "exhibition matches?" Those are regular season games played over there; they count towards each participating team's win/loss records just as those played here in the States; there's nothing throwaway about them. And since the league has done nothing but add overseas games to the schedule, I think the inroads have been made. But I'm not over there; I have no idea what NFL fandom looks like or is appreciated save for what I see on TV when a stadium packs out, but the NFL is nothing if not good on cash; international games aren't there because the league is desperate for relevance. They're supposedly adding games in Brazil next year, so between London, Germany, Mexico, and Brazil, they've got audiences who will show up outside of the States; not sure how much more of an inroads you can expect unless your expectation is that of a permanent fixture in the form of a European team which I don't think anyone has considered in the near-term.
Yes, exhibition probably wasn't the best choice of words. Spectacle would have been better in the first sentence as well as the last.

Investors always want to make all the money. Relevance in the rest of the world is always worth a shot.

As I said, the regular US games don't have much interest, same with actually playing the sport. It's been that niche interest for a good 35-40 years that I remember and never really gets beyond that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I may be wrong about this, but what generally we Americans refer to as an exhibition match, is generally referred to across the Atlantic "a friendly." Seeing as Zykon didn't say that, I assume that isn't what was meant.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I may be wrong about this, but what generally we Americans refer to as an exhibition match, is generally referred to across the Atlantic "a friendly." Seeing as Zykon didn't say that, I assume that isn't what was meant.
I chose my words quite poorly there, realised I had done so and edited it, but didn't actually change my choice of words, just added a bit on the end which I thought might explain what I meant, but didn't really. All in all, not the greatest piece of communication from me.

What I meant was that the match is being played in Europe as an exhibition, as advertising. There's no need to play an American league game in Europe. In many respects I imagine it's a disadvantage to the teams, home fans and NFL. But maybe it'll drum up a bit more interest.

I think American football faces some real challenges getting a proper foothold in the European market. Time difference with the American league for watching matches live, length of the game, lack of European teams or any play in the school system, expense of kit for kids, saturation of football, rugby as the contact team sport of choice without all the expensive gear.

I have some workmates who are really into their sport that went up to a game played over here a year or 2 ago, and the general consensus was that it was good to go for the experience, being able to say you've been to a game, but not something that they would be too bothered with again. I think that really sums up the broader attitude to it, an interesting slice of Americana but not a long term thing.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What I meant was that the match is being played in Europe as an exhibition, as advertising. There's no need to play an American league game in Europe. In many respects I imagine it's a disadvantage to the teams, home fans and NFL. But maybe it'll drum up a bit more interest.
I think I understand now, and can appreciate the sentiment. As someone who appreciates sports, I will never discount a sporting event that engages markets outside of the expected and garners at least SOME interest from those who might not otherwise be easily able to partake. And from what I've seen, the European games pack out! Nevermind they won't see another game for a year or so, they came out to watch and be a fan, and I love that. What's more leveling than sports? I've hugged strangers because they were wearing my team's jersey, and if there's anything more basely human than that, show me.

I don't think teams or fans are disadvantaged by international games. Those players make millions of dollars regardless of the nationality of the turf under their feet, and fans at home still want the win regardless of the hour they have to wake up to watch it.

Anyway, congrats to your Seahawks, @Zykon TheLich. That was a rough watch for me. Like watching a guy who assaulted my mother barely beating up another guy who assaulted my mother. But in the end, I think t's the result I wanted. I can't even say the Eagles have been exposed; it's like they've fallen apart.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Lions won the game tonight! Yes!
I am happy for the Lions. They're due, and their fans have been loyal for decades; you deserve this. Enjoy it!

Right now, I'm just happy the Cowboys LOST!! And now waiting on tonight when my Niners host the Ravens. Sweet bay Jesus, I don't want shit else but this win tonight...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My Niners took it straight up the tailpipe last night from the Ravens. "Super Bowl preview" my ass; at least I certainly don't hope that's the case. I don't know what it is about my team under Shanahan's watch; it seems like the bigger the stage, the more we shrink. Just last week, we were everyone's "best team in the league," and last night, we looked like we didn't belong in the same sport. Brock Purdy, the wonder kid, threw 4 interceptions. FOUR, God damn it. Granted, some of them were flukes in that it wasn't like he threw it to the wrong team, it just happened to bounce/deflect in the other team's favor, but fucking FOUR when he had all but NONE previously?!?

Last night was the first 49ers game I didn't bother to finish watching in a long time. I think I made it halfway through the 3rd quarter before going to bed. I turned my phone off because, of course, I got a half dozen texts and missed calls from fellow fans and haters alike who wanted answers I couldn't give them. My only hope is that Shanahan is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers since we've clinched a playoff berth already, but even I know that's delusional.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My Niners took it straight up the tailpipe last night from the Ravens. "Super Bowl preview" my ass; at least I certainly don't hope that's the case. I don't know what it is about my team under Shanahan's watch; it seems like the bigger the stage, the more we shrink. Just last week, we were everyone's "best team in the league," and last night, we looked like we didn't belong in the same sport. Brock Purdy, the wonder kid, threw 4 interceptions. FOUR, God damn it. Granted, some of them were flukes in that it wasn't like he threw it to the wrong team, it just happened to bounce/deflect in the other team's favor, but fucking FOUR when he had all but NONE previously?!?

Last night was the first 49ers game I didn't bother to finish watching in a long time. I think I made it halfway through the 3rd quarter before going to bed. I turned my phone off because, of course, I got a half dozen texts and missed calls from fellow fans and haters alike who wanted answers I couldn't give them. My only hope is that Shanahan is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers since we've clinched a playoff berth already, but even I know that's delusional.
Yeah, that was rough. At least you aren't alone. Cowboys fans are feeling awful. I'm in Chiefs country and yikes, seems like everyone is just shocked today. Most every game though, had some really good football to watch. Some really good defense both ways all game long in Chiefs/Raiders. Strangely enough, the Chiefs D never allowed a touchdown. The 49ers, realistically with some better luck they could have defeated the top team in the AFC.

But hands down (and I'm having trouble convincing people here, but I still believe it is truth) the worst game of the weekend was Denver/New England. That was a freaking master class in bad football. That looked like NAIA College football. Those teams are so bad CFL teams could probably take them.

And I was all set up for it. I was watching the Blackhawks/Blues and was feeling great. 'Hawks up 5-2, and Bedard had a Michigan Lacrosse style goal... it was going so well. And then the Blues score 5 unanswered for the win. I just... I'm... well maybe next year will be better.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, that was rough. At least you aren't alone. Cowboys fans are feeling awful. I'm in Chiefs country and yikes, seems like everyone is just shocked today. Most every game though, had some really good football to watch. Some really good defense both ways all game long in Chiefs/Raiders. Strangely enough, the Chiefs D never allowed a touchdown. The 49ers, realistically with some better luck they could have defeated the top team in the AFC.

But hands down (and I'm having trouble convincing people here, but I still believe it is truth) the worst game of the weekend was Denver/New England. That was a freaking master class in bad football. That looked like NAIA College football. Those teams are so bad CFL teams could probably take them.

And I was all set up for it. I was watching the Blackhawks/Blues and was feeling great. 'Hawks up 5-2, and Bedard had a Michigan Lacrosse style goal... it was going so well. And then the Blues score 5 unanswered for the win. I just... I'm... well maybe next year will be better.
Yeah, misery loves company n'all. I just hoped our three-game skid was the growing pains into our Super Bowl britches, but last night reminded me that the game is always "Any Given Sunday." Chiefs and Cowboys ate crow too, but if that's my only takeaway from a Christmas Day of football, then I need Jesus.

My daily routine is about three hours of coverage following a round of games, but today, I might just turn on a movie. I don't want to hear my team torn to shreds. God knows I'm avoiding First Take like the plague; I can only imagine the things Stephen A. Smith has to say about last night, and my feelings are hurt simply by the idea of any of it. At least the Cowboys lost.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My Niners clinched the #1 seed in the NFC! We get about 3 weeks to get healthy and make our run to the Super Bowl, and God, do we need it. One more regular season game to go, but if Kyle Shanahan is as smart and as much a strategic genius as many say, he'd sit all our players and not risk injuries in a meaningless game. I say let fans suit up and play the Rams for this last game.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My Niners clinched the #1 seed in the NFC! We get about 3 weeks to get healthy and make our run to the Super Bowl, and God, do we need it. One more regular season game to go, but if Kyle Shanahan is as smart and as much a strategic genius as many say, he'd sit all our players and not risk injuries in a meaningless game. I say let fans suit up and play the Rams for this last game.
Happy for you that happened. Still puzzled about the events in Philly that helped, and the Cowboys finish that could have further complicated things if the 9ers didn't take care of business. The top of the NFC had a lot of strangeness this past weekend, glad that didn't affect the 'niners.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yesterday's game meant nothing for my NIners given we'd sewn up the #1 seed, but my asshole was puckered the entire time given we were still playing a lot of our starters. Seeing Samuel and Aiyuk taking hits, and Bosa and Young out there fighting for sacks, I just prayed to sweet Baby Jesus they'd not get hurt and risk our playoff run. We lost by 1 point, which is fine; I expected to lose, but damned if losing by 1 didn't sting. I almost wish we'd have gotten blown out, 32-10 or something evident of our preservation of the team for the post-season, but losing by 1? Fuck me; we should have won that game. I promised my gf I wouldn't get loud given the zero stakes, but the Niner in me couldn't help it; our neighbors heard a good and loud "MOTHERF*CKER!!!!" towards the end. Our kicker, Moody, needs to work out his fucking yips NOW. If we make it to the playoffs (God forbid the Super Bowl) and lose by 2 or 3 because he muffed a chip shot like he did a couple of times yesterday, I swear to God, I'll find his family and... well, he just better not miss the gimmes in the playoffs or the Super Bowl.

Right now I'm the biggest Packers fan you could imagine. They play the Cowboys this week, and if the Packers win, the pipe dream of Cowboys' playoff contention goes the way it has for year: straight down the shitter, and I can talk every brand of shit to these Cowboys fans that I can muster. Also, whoever in the AFC finds the Ravens during, you've got a fan in me, too. Those are the only two teams that worry me immediately. I know "any given Sunday," n'all, but the Cowboys and the Ravens are the only two teams that concern me during this run.