SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As per the usual, the Dallas Cowboys were eliminated from the playoffs in glorious fashion. How a team who so routinely bites themselves in the ass at critical moments DARES to call itself “America’s Team” defies all logic. As many conspiracies exist surrounding how the NFL might be scripted, the Cowboys’ playoff curse has got to have the most credibility. They were on a 16 at-home game winning streak, and the Packers turned that streak to the off position, 48-32. Jerry Jones has got to be beside himself as Cowboys' fans are rabidly calling for someone's head to roll. Is it Dak? Is it McCarthy? Is it Quinn? Or, as many have suspected for a long time, is it Jerry? The Cowboys are a joke. How a team can routinely [appear to] be that good during the regular season only to shit the bed when it matters most is baffling.

1705409771312.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh, and the Eagles are out as well!! To start the seasons 10-1 with everyone talking about them being the team to beat, but end 1-6 with some convincing losses is telling. My cousin is a diehard Eagles fan, and talked a shit-ton of shit all year when they were winning... Then they got stomped by my Niners, and didn't look the same after. Needless to say, I've gotten no texts, no baiting Facebook posts, just silence. I love it.

That said, it's officially on. We play the Packers Saturday, and after watching their dismantling of the Cowboys, this one won't be a gimme. Even after them, there are a lot of teams who seem to have saved their best for the postseason. I don't know what's going to happen, but I believe in my Niners, and I think we can beat anyone, and I hope that energy translates to the locker room. Brock Purdy is the kind of quarterback that simply deserves it: last pick in the draft, not a braggart or swimming in swag, great at his job, no controversies, no contract hold outs, etc.; he just does his job and what's best of his team, and his will be a story the league will speak of for YEARS if he manages to lead the team to a championship. He's certainly made his mark in the 49ers' history books already; I'd just love to see the punctuation be a Lombardi. (And yes, Shia Labeouf will play him in the inevitable "Mr. Irrelevant" movie.)

1705427178411.png

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As per the usual, the Dallas Cowboys were eliminated from the playoffs in glorious fashion. How a team who so routinely bites themselves in the ass at critical moments DARES to call itself “America’s Team” defies all logic. As many conspiracies exist surrounding how the NFL might be scripted, the Cowboys’ playoff curse has got to have the most credibility. They were on a 16 at-home game winning streak, and the Packers turned that streak to the off position, 48-32. Jerry Jones has got to be beside himself as Cowboys' fans are rabidly calling for someone's head to roll. Is it Dak? Is it McCarthy? Is it Quinn? Or, as many have suspected for a long time, is it Jerry? The Cowboys are a joke. How a team can routinely [appear to] be that good during the regular season only to shit the bed when it matters most is baffling.

I have only in my life laughed harder at Mel Brooks movies, than I did during the Cowboys/Packers game. The final score didn't even reflect how completely Green Bay proved from kickoff that the Cowboys didn't even belong in the playoffs at all.

Oh, and the Eagles are out as well!! To start the seasons 10-1 with everyone talking about them being the team to beat, but end 1-6 with some convincing losses is telling. My cousin is a diehard Eagles fan, and talked a shit-ton of shit all year when they were winning... Then they got stomped by my Niners, and didn't look the same after. Needless to say, I've gotten no texts, no baiting Facebook posts, just silence. I love it.

That said, it's officially on. We play the Packers Saturday, and after watching their dismantling of the Cowboys, this one won't be a gimme. Even after them, there are a lot of teams who seem to have saved their best for the postseason. I don't know what's going to happen, but I believe in my Niners, and I think we can beat anyone, and I hope that energy translates to the locker room. Brock Purdy is the kind of quarterback that simply deserves it: last pick in the draft, not a braggart or swimming in swag, great at his job, no controversies, no contract hold outs, etc.; he just does his job and what's best of his team, and his will be a story the league will speak of for YEARS if he manages to lead the team to a championship. He's certainly made his mark in the 49ers' history books already; I'd just love to see the punctuation be a Lombardi. (And yes, Shia Labeouf will play him in the inevitable "Mr. Irrelevant" movie.)

And the Eagles. That was just the end of a very long and drawn out collapse. They may at one time have been the 2nd best team in the NFC... maybe even the best. But that was a couple of months ago.

What I want to see, is what the Ravens are probably going to destroy for me this weekend. Brock Purdy is probably the best story left in the post season, but in the AFC I'm saying the best story is C.J. Stroud. I have been hugely impressed by his game, and barring injury he is going to be elite level talent. If narrative determined the outcome of the season, the 9ers would defeat Houston in spectacular, down to the wire, fashion. Cementing Purdy's rise from irrelevant, and announcing to everyone that Stroud is the real deal and a rookie season just "isn't quite his time... yet."

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have only in my life laughed harder at Mel Brooks movies, than I did during the Cowboys/Packers game. The final score didn't even reflect how completely Green Bay proved from kickoff that the Cowboys didn't even belong in the playoffs at all.
Yeah, that was beating the box score really doesn't reflect. The Packers had them dead to rights almost the whole game; it was literal last ditch efforts by the Cowboys to make the inevitable loss more respectable. But it was ultimately extremely apropos given the hubris from the ownership down to the fanbase. I live in Texas, and it has been thick for me to deal with, and watching Icarus tumble back down to earth was the kind of joy only a poet could properly express.

And the Eagles. That was just the end of a very long and drawn out collapse. They may at one time have been the 2nd best team in the NFC... maybe even the best. But that was a couple of months ago.

What I want to see, is what the Ravens are probably going to destroy for me this weekend. Brock Purdy is probably the best story left in the post season, but in the AFC I'm saying the best story is C.J. Stroud. I have been hugely impressed by his game, and barring injury he is going to be elite level talent. If narrative determined the outcome of the season, the 9ers would defeat Houston in spectacular, down to the wire, fashion. Cementing Purdy's rise from irrelevant, and announcing to everyone that Stroud is the real deal and a rookie season just "isn't quite his time... yet."
As an Ohio boy living in Texas, I am happy to see Stroud go to the Texans and do as well as he has done. I had hopes for Justin Fields (another Ohio State QB) going to the Bears, but he's in a very poorly managed situation right now with no end in sight. Stroud, however, is making all sorts of waves, and I love to see it. He gave me a Texas team I can root for. And if your narrative proves out, that'd be the best case scenario for me; a 49ers/Texans Super Bowl with the Niners coming out on top? Yes, please.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Dak gets all his stats in garbage time. And he is talked about as a MVP candidate, such a joke.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My Niners made it through the divisional round squeaking by the Packers... BARELY. I spent most of the game with an asshole so puckered, any fart that managed to make it out could have blow out a candle from across the room. Brock Purdy didn't look composed, and made a lot of errant throws, but our defense stood up when they needed to. Greenlaw's interception in the final minutes about gave me a heart attack; I was literally screaming at the TV "GO THE FUCK DOWN!!!" as he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make his pick a pick-6. I lost my voice, and mind you, I was by myself. I wasn't at a watch party or watching with friends, nope, just me. My girlfriend went to bed around halftime; she told me the next day it was because she thought the Niners were going to lose, and didn't want to catch my wrath which made me question my sanity. I'm a fan, but didn't realize I might be an "insane" fan.

In other news, yes, the Lions indeed bested the Buccaneers, and the Bills fell to the Chiefs. The former made me happy as the Lions are a "feel good" story, and they deserve to be here FINALLY. The latter, I'm pretty indifferent about, but am looking forward to the Chiefs @ Ravens game and the two titans of QBs in Mahomes and Jackson squaring off. Assuming we can beat the Lions, a Super Bowl against either the Chiefs or Ravens will be a Niners' revenge game I want a piece of.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Seems like from the sports talk I put on while working (Rich Eisen, Cowherd, Nick Wright, etc.), Purdy can't throw in the rain.
And to that I'd say this: Purdy threw zero interceptions to Love's two. Love has four years of NFL experience; not starting, but four years in the league learning under the wing of future hall of famer Aaron Rodgers. But Purdy, in his second year, is the one who brought home the W.

Inclement weather factors into everyone's game on every side of the ball; I do not think Purdy was exposed so much as he was exposed to conditions that affect everyone's performance. Do I think now he needs to spend every practice throwing a wet ball? No, because he has shown himself to be a very competent QB which is sometimes all you need to win a game when everyone is on the same page, i.e.: see the most recent game against the Packers where he pulled off a much appreciated 4th quarter comeback.

My saying he didn't look composed wasn't a direct criticism. He's a second-year QB, first-year starter who managed us into the NFC Championship game two times in a row... I'm not mad at him for any mistakes he makes. He's shown us more immediate promise than Jimmy Garoppolo (who I loved, by the way,) and he sat behind arguably the greatest QB of all time before taking the reins in San Francisco before getting shat out to the Raiders... WHO BENCHED HIM!!! Purdy is a rookie, picked dead last in his draft class, and took us to two straight NFC Championship games, on minimal experience. He didn't "look" composed, but he was compromised in a very season-defining game; I'd say most QBs could easily "look" the same given the conditions and severity of a playoff game. So let me clarify: when it mattered, he buttoned his shit up, and finished the game they way we needed him to. Regardless of what happens Sunday, I'm on the Purdy train until he gives me reason to feel otherwise.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I cannot express the depths of my shame. I thought I was Faithful, but I am not. My 49ers were down to the Lions 21-7 around the half, and I... I turned the game off, guys. I fucking turned the game off. You don't do that to your team!! Thick and thin, better or worse, till death do us part!!! My phone was blowing up with all of my "friends" and "family" teasing me about the game, and the pressure got to me. I turned my phone off, turned the game off, and went to bed. I woke up at 3am, head pounding from a severe hangover (drinking was the only thing keeping me from killing myself) to check the final score, and we FUCKING WON?!?!?!? WE'RE IN THE FUCKING SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!

Woke up to a lot of apology/congrats text, but they feel hollow when compared to the fact I didn't see the most significant half in the most important game my team experienced in a long time. I don't deserve this happiness.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I cannot express the depths of my shame. I thought I was Faithful, but I am not. My 49ers were down to the Lions 21-7 around the half, and I... I turned the game off, guys. I fucking turned the game off. You don't do that to your team!! Thick and thin, better or worse, till death do us part!!! My phone was blowing up with all of my "friends" and "family" teasing me about the game, and the pressure got to me. I turned my phone off, turned the game off, and went to bed. I woke up at 3am, head pounding from a severe hangover (drinking was the only thing keeping me from killing myself) to check the final score, and we FUCKING WON?!?!?!? WE'RE IN THE FUCKING SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!

Woke up to a lot of apology/congrats text, but they feel hollow when compared to the fact I didn't see the most significant half in the most important game my team experienced in a long time. I don't deserve this happiness.
Things looked bad. But SF's "superpower" seems to be the "lose 3/4 of a game, and still win the game." And frankly, that's exactly what they will need to beat this Chiefs defense in the Super Bowl. Hell, KC only managed a win over Baltimore by shortening the field, eating clock, and somehow (and fairly uncharacteristically this year) eliminating turnovers.

So that will be an interesting matchup. Frankly I thought this year's SB would be the 2 best teams... Ravens v. 49ers. I really wanted to see that. But this might be more interesting. I fully expect to see the Chiefs D shut down SF's offense for 3/4 of the game. But If I'm betting even money, I say SF scores enough in 15 minutes to beat this year's Chiefs offense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Just be happy they won. The Lions I am proud of either way and I'm glad they made it this far. I expect them to be at the best next time as well.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm getting nervous for Sunday. I need to stop watching ESPN and their collective of talking heads. Depends on the hour but one minute, Mahomes is the sure thing, the next, our offense is hailed as the second coming, and in between those comments, a lot of noncommittal shrugs.

I can't say I'm excited so much as I can say I'm ready for it to be over. I think this is the closest a man can come to the feeling of labor pains. I planned an outfit. I'm wearing my Purdy jersey. I was debating summoning old Super Bowl successes with my Montana, Rice, and Young jerseys, but I feel in my.bones, I need to support Purdy. I don't want to be the guy who sucked his thumb while history is being made if we win. I also don't want to be the guy who blames himself if I wear an older jersey and we lose.

1000003550.jpg

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I am predicting the Chiefs to win today because Mahomes and the Chiefs have a legit defense. Though if the game is a blowout, I think it'll be the Niners doing the blowing out because they can really get rolling on offense like no other team this year. I think the chances of a blowout are pretty slim though. I don't have horse in this race except for having a slight bet (playoff brackets with some friends) that I may not even be able to win at this point so I'm fine with Purdy and the Niners winning because it is the better story and for the sake of @Xprimentyl :D

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Okay, I can talk about now. My 49ers lost the Super Bowl.
To say I'm devastated is an understatement. But I remind myself that 30 other teams didn't make it as far as we did, and the only other one that did managed to play slightly better than we did, and they got the win.

I'm proud of my guys. They played lights out, nearly shutting down the second coming of Christ that is Patrick Mahomes for a large portion of the game. Our defense was the biggest question mark going in, and they showed up with their hair on fire. Purdy showed that he not only has the composure for the biggest stage, but he got us there in only his second year. "Mr. Irrelevant?" I don't think so; he's the franchise QB we've been looking for for a long time. Now it's time to firm up some contracts and keep this squad as much together as we can for another run this year...

The only question I have coming out of the game is Shanahan. I'm not questioning his ability to coach; I'm not calling for his head, but he seems to play the big games backwards: the first half, he has the defense's head on a swivel with trickery and deception, then in the second half/last quarter, he plays conservatively. I get it; mitigating risks when you've a lead makes sense in some games, but NOT when you're playing Patrick Mahomes!! That fucker can score on you during halftime if you're not paying attention!! No, we needed to spend the whole 3+ hours blowing our load, empty the playbook, make shit up on the fly, bring guns and grenades!! If our first half team played in the second half, we could have won that game, like 38-25, but instead we went home 22-25.

Oh well, at least we beat the Cowboys, and around here, that's all I need to defend myself when folks want to bask in my loss. On to 2024...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Okay, I can talk about now. My 49ers lost the Super Bowl.
To say I'm devastated is an understatement. But I remind myself that 30 other teams didn't make it as far as we did, and the only other one that did managed to play slightly better than we did, and they got the win.

I'm proud of my guys. They played lights out, nearly shutting down the second coming of Christ that is Patrick Mahomes for a large portion of the game. Our defense was the biggest question mark going in, and they showed up with their hair on fire. Purdy showed that he not only has the composure for the biggest stage, but he got us there in only his second year. "Mr. Irrelevant?" I don't think so; he's the franchise QB we've been looking for for a long time. Now it's time to firm up some contracts and keep this squad as much together as we can for another run this year...

The only question I have coming out of the game is Shanahan. I'm not questioning his ability to coach; I'm not calling for his head, but he seems to play the big games backwards: the first half, he has the defense's head on a swivel with trickery and deception, then in the second half/last quarter, he plays conservatively. I get it; mitigating risks when you've a lead makes sense in some games, but NOT when you're playing Patrick Mahomes!! That fucker can score on you during halftime if you're not paying attention!! No, we needed to spend the whole 3+ hours blowing our load, empty the playbook, make shit up on the fly, bring guns and grenades!! If our first half team played in the second half, we could have won that game, like 38-25, but instead we went home 22-25.

Oh well, at least we beat the Cowboys, and around here, that's all I need to defend myself when folks want to bask in my loss. On to 2024...
Yeah, a Chiefs win has made my life here in Chiefs Kingdom quite a bit easier for the next couple of weeks. But as I have kept mentioning to people here, it was razor thin. When was the last time a blocked PAT changed the outcome of an entire game? Take away one SF special teams gaffe, Chiefs do not score a touchdown. I was pulling for Chiefs, if nothing else because the win is good for my job. But still, SF and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of. Truth be told, that was a winning effort from SF... 7 out of 10 times.

And the future is bright for SF. Purdy is a franchise QB, there isn't any question anymore. There is a good core on both sides of the ball and incredibly high level of talent (although when contracts come up that can be a bit of a liability too.)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, a Chiefs win has made my life here in Chiefs Kingdom quite a bit easier for the next couple of weeks. But as I have kept mentioning to people here, it was razor thin. When was the last time a blocked PAT changed the outcome of an entire game? Take away one SF special teams gaffe, Chiefs do not score a touchdown. I was pulling for Chiefs, if nothing else because the win is good for my job. But still, SF and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of. Truth be told, that was a winning effort from SF... 7 out of 10 times.

And the future is bright for SF. Purdy is a franchise QB, there isn't any question anymore. There is a good core on both sides of the ball and incredibly high level of talent (although when contracts come up that can be a bit of a liability too.)
Yeah, this was our year to get it done comfortably, but contracts are going to be at the fore going forward. I think we can keep it together for another year, but beyond that, we're going to see the band start to break up, and that saddens me. To look at 22-25 and think had ONE play gone differently, my guys would be hoisting the Lombardi they deserved. Instead, I got a camera snap to fucking Taylor Swift right before I turned the TV off and started rationalizing that driving my car 100mph into oncoming traffic wouldn't change anything. (Reassure me that it won't, because if anyone thinks there's any chance, I'll do it; I'm willing to try anything at this point.)

In the end, it's official: I HATE the Chiefs. Fuck Mahomes, fuck Kelce, fuck Andy Reid, fuck the state of Missouri, fuck the letters K and C, fuck arrowhead (both the stadium AND the pointy rocks,) fuck all of it. Between the Cowboys and Seahawks, I didn't think I had enough room in my heart for this kind of competitive hatred, but nope, the Chiefs have settled right in there in the basement of my sadistic, seething, and depraved thoughts of ill will, violence, and generally malicious intent.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Purdy does have limitations but he is a solid QB. I'd much rather have Purdy than a Dak, Tua, Cousins, Goff or even Lamar, but he's not at the same level of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stafford, or Stroud.