Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
I must have missed how Sony were the ones who were forcing this when its Square Enix making the game, publishing it, distributing it - you know what? Shelve your little conspiracy theories until you can actually factor reality in, alright?
So it's because of Square-Enix that Sony pulled back-compatibility from the PS3 hardware? Wow, I never knew they wielded such power. They must have been sore about not having a good excuse for re-releasing FF7 thru 9 in mildly-upgraded PS2 form, what with PS2 owners being able to just put the existing discs in their machines and get better resolution / filtering / load times.

If Sony don't get some per-sale cut off each official game disc sold, regardless of how small - or at least, from the sale of each license to put a valid digital signature on each disc - I'd be quite surprised. I can't guarantee that this is true without going off and spending some time looking it up, but expect that it is. Hardware itself doesn't bring in massive profits - it's game sales that are the big earner.

Oh, and also? Try decaf tomorrow.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Byere said:
Square has given no direct indication that they were producing a fully-re-rendered "remake" so much as FFX HD, much like 343 Industries is doing to Halo....an HD repaint that's laughably being titled a "remake". These days, you can resell the exact same old game to people with shinier graphics, add a few minor features, and call it a "remake" worthy of 60 dollars of your hard-earned cash. Sounds completely reasonable, doesn't it?
Or rather it doesn't in the slightest. And there is a difference between "they haven't announced" and "You haven't bothered to look"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134579
First things first, Learn how to use the "Quote" button by not just erasing what I've put in my post as it makes it terribly difficult to understand what you're trying to say... particularly when you then cut your argument between the quote box and the area after it.

Secondly, you'll notice that the forum post you linked happened the same day you posted... TWO DAYS AFTER MY POST. It's difficult for me to see the linked page two days before it existed.

Thirdly, I really couldn't give a damn whether or not such info had been posted somewhere else previous to my post in places other than your link.

Finally, you'll note that my post was about the fact that if they're going to remake a game, it should be one the fans are asking for, not what SquareEnix thinks would be best. You'll also note that while I'm not against the idea of this remake, that I want it to be true to the original creation, whether they re-use the game engine or not. I want it to be turn-based combat and not the terrible action-RPG crap they spit out like XII or XIII.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
First, that it came after doesn't matter. You assumed that it was a HD upscale instead of a remake like they said several times, without any proof whatsoever. You acted without anything to back you up. You should have actually, ya know, gotten some proof.

Second, what planet are you living on that you think people don't want a remake of Final Fantasy X? Seriously, where did that come from? Its not as requested as Final Fantasy VII, but are you seriously saying they aren't allowed to remake their second most requested game, because their first most is, as has been stated by them several times, close to impossible? Besides, if it was what was easiest, it'd be Final Fantasy XII.

And third, the battle system is the exact same. Once again, try to get any kind of proof before you do that.
Yes... Yes it DOES matter that posting of such information comes before my post. Before this thread, I hadn't heard anything about a remake of FFX. Thus, this is the only info I have on such a claim. The fact that I didn't go out of my way to trawl the internet to find specific details that may not have even been in full circulation until AFTER my post is what is moot here.
My assumation that it was an graphical upscale as opposed to a complete overhaul is because that's what SE is known for when it comes to porting games from one system to the next. They did it with the first few games in the series (Final Fantasys 1-5 were re-released on handheld systems before some being re-re-released after being remade completely later like 3 and 4 were on the DS. Also, see Final Fantasy Tactics and Crono Trigger for examples of porting as opposed to remaking, even though they had added in a few extras upon said porting), they did it the latter games (Final Fantasy VII and VIII at the least got PC ports). SE aren't know for completely overhauling games once they've made them.

I have to point out that you're putting words in my mouth with your second point. I didn't say that a remake of FFX wasn't requested OR that SE are not allowed to do a total remake of it. I stated that they SHOULDN'T do so before getting down to what it top of the list first.
The thing about a remake of Final Fantasy VII is that people don't WANT a total overhaul. They don't WANT everything about it to change. It's one of those rare cases that people want just a graphical overhaul and maybe/most likely want voice-overs. They want the storyline, the gameplay, the battle system and other such elements to stay EXACTLY the same because those are the things people actually love about VII. I don't see why it would be impossible to do that when they're willing to scrap and remake something that already has those things (more realistic graphics when compared to VII, voice-overs, movie-like cut-scenes, etc).
It just seems that they refuse to give the fan base what they most want and to give them a silver-prize medal game instead. It seems a cop out... a chance to make money and tempt the fans into the idea that they'll actually DO a remake of the games people like, when they never actually will.

As for your third point, thank you for the confirmation. I'm glad that it'll stay the same. As for proof of it, it wasn't on your "wonderful" link that it would be the same, so I wasn't sure.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Is it really going to be a remake or just an HD port? As in, cleaner models, better textures, etc. In that case it's obvious why a remake of X would be chosen over any of the previous games, involves a lot less work. I mean, to remake any of the games before X for PS3, you'd have to redo the whole game in 3D, and get probably get voice work.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
Byere said:
unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
Yea, this made me lol, hard!
The end of the X-2 review has GOT to be Dr. Insano bringing Tidus back to life with a Lazarus Project or 6 Million Dollar Man reference now.

I brought him back to life with SCIENCE! And in HD! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.
Pretty much all that.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
tahrey said:
OutrageousEmu said:
I must have missed how Sony were the ones who were forcing this when its Square Enix making the game, publishing it, distributing it - you know what? Shelve your little conspiracy theories until you can actually factor reality in, alright?
So it's because of Square-Enix that Sony pulled back-compatibility from the PS3 hardware? Wow, I never knew they wielded such power. They must have been sore about not having a good excuse for re-releasing FF7 thru 9 in mildly-upgraded PS2 form, what with PS2 owners being able to just put the existing discs in their machines and get better resolution / filtering / load times.

If Sony don't get some per-sale cut off each official game disc sold, regardless of how small - or at least, from the sale of each license to put a valid digital signature on each disc - I'd be quite surprised. I can't guarantee that this is true without going off and spending some time looking it up, but expect that it is. Hardware itself doesn't bring in massive profits - it's game sales that are the big earner.

Oh, and also? Try decaf tomorrow.
Not only does this assume that (a) every single Ps2 in existence has atomised itself the second the Ps3 was launched so the people who own these discs can't PLAY THEM ON THE SYSTEM THEY BOUGHT THE DISCS TO PLAY ON, (b) there is never going to be another Ps2 made again so even people who actually broke their Ps2 cannot get a new one, and (c) there isn't a group of people who actually want a version of these games with HD visuals and trophies, making this theory already completely insane, but it ignores the fact that PEOPLE ASKED FOR THE BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY TO BE TAKEN OUT TO MAKE THE SYSTEM CHEAPER!
Right... ok... when i said to try decaf, that also sort of implied that you stop smoking crack as well. Settle down, Beavis.

a/ I think my original point, now lost, was that you could just play it on the PS2? What kind of circular argument are you getting yourself into, here?
b/ They stopped production already AFAIK? Or will do so quite soon. Quite how it's relevant I have no idea.
c-i/ Are there that many people who want an explicitly HD remake of FF10 & all? And... "trophies"?! Like... you mean... online achievements... for a 10 year old, originally offline RPG? You understand that the game is basically handing out its own equivalent of achievements like candy, right? And no-one's going to be very bothered what your squillions of stats for it say?
c-ii/ Insane? Er OK. Never mind Sony's fairly lengthy history of pulling exactly that kind of shit, going for profit at the expense of all else... Just look at Minidiscs, rootkits on CDs, locking out even their recent DVD players from being easily de-regioned without specific tools... but again I think that's kind of besides the point i was originally suggesting.
c-iii/ They did? I think it would be fair to call those people somewhat foolish. And it's not like the company kept making the original full feature console alongside a slimmer, cheaper, less capable one, they just swapped one for another. What about all the people who were just happy with things as they are... so they never spoke up or made the point that "ey, everything's cool here. don't fuck with it".

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Either you're just trolling now, or you have some serious issues. You may want to go have a tall drink of warm milk and lie down in a darkened room for a while, this really isn't worth having an anyeurism over. Or maybe you're a Sony shill gone rogue?

Sick, insane, twisted, for jokingly suggesting that a questionably valuable re-release of an already reasonably good visual-quality game that will probably look about the same as an auto-upscale might have is another of Sony's egregious money grubbing ploys... even though their policy probably has little to do with what Square Enix does and vice versa (after all, they have chequered history)... obviously not that serious about it really. Think you might be going OTT?

And "if they cared, they'd have got an original PS3". Welllll presuming they can find one, and they can afford it, and there's no PSN account linked to the non-back-compatible machine they already owned without realising the missing feature etc. Financial hurt is still hurt. I don't know what other form you may be thinking of in fact, unless there's a suggestion that the Sony governing board will personally come out and deliver a savage beatdown to anyone who wished it was somehow different. Which even I'm not doing. I mean... you monster. YOU MONSTER FOR EVEN THINKING IT.

BTW... Yes, they're in business to make money. We wouldn't begrudge them that would we. In fact part of my wider argument was that this sort of behaviour would at least be partly expected by someone trying to turn a profit. But they don't seem to have fully grasped the whole "business ethics" and "not shooting yourself in the foot by being so continually greedy that it eventually blinkers and clouds your whole judgement and some rogue consumer who's sick of your shit snaps and takes a large part of your company down" parts of running a successfuly long-term enterprise.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
After browsing through forums and details about why they won't remake 7, I can safely say that they have been teasing us for the better half of a decade with this. FFX is just another crum they decided to throw so no, I won't bite. I bought FFX for PS2 and that's where I will be playing it.

Now as to why they won't remake it, the graphics reason is void cause people still play FF7 to this day, even if it looks like it does. The reason they aren't making it is cause once they do, there will be nothing else to expect from them. Plain and simple.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Is this still happening?

I saw this thread while looking something up on the forums and I had never heard of this before. FFX is one of my favorite games and while I don't own a PS3 this still intrigues me.