Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Zetsubou-Sama said:
goldendriger said:
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!
That's the funny thing about opinions, everyone has one.

I personally consider VII to be full of shallow one dimensional characters, cliche ridden script, and full of plot holes, with a ever so slightly heavy handed moral, and I disliked the Materia system, neither fun and easily exploited, where VIII had at least a fun if exploitable system.

Also: I enjoyed the art design, and while the voice acting was grating at moments, the amount of depth and work that went into the script, story, and character arcs outshines most if not all FF's except for VI or Ix.

So yeah, just my opinion.

Do you want to hear me talk about X-2 which I also considered a good game even though it had all the flashy j-pop vibe going on?

Meh not really i thought FFX-2 Wasnt too bad, i can see what they were going for, its more upbeat, not at all linear and the hero didnt feel like cutting himself every 10 minutes (Kinda like Anti-ff13)

But in 10 i hated the sphere grid, what was wrong with getting EXP and levelling up? Tidus was an ass, The story didnt really make sense, but ive give up with Final Fantasy anyway. If you ever get sick of the endless crap Sqaure dishes out Shin Megami Tensei will be there for you ;D

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
i don't see any negative aspect in that
new players can enjoy it, old players can enjoy it again and SE is making some money for future ambitious projects

i just hope they put at least some bonus material in there

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
At least nobody that matter.
I know a lot of people hate FFX and that is fine, it is after all their opinion and they are entitled to it, however I do object to you dismissing the fans and saying that they don't 'matter'. That is just needlessly rude.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
I'm sure he'd be jumping for joy if VIII was announced, at least he'd have pretty graphics to watch while endlessly drawing.

Char12

Sep 14, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
Inkidu said:
You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all."
How on earth do you figure that?

Any way you slice it, X follows after VII as the most popular in the series. No, not the one that all the nostalgists say is "so totally better than modern Final Fantasies, because back then it didn't have stupid elements like emotion or a 3rd dimension", I mean in terms of crunching the numbers, X is the second best selling final fantasy game ever. Hell, throw in X-2 and it comes within spitting distance of outselling VII. In terms of fan prescence, it still also has a gigantic following. How could they not?
unacomn said:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.
Given the way he screams, its in a pitch only dogs can hear.
Actually you are wrong, 13 was the best selling then 8. I am not against this as previously stated it will be good to have the potential to play numerous PS2 classics on my PS Vita/PS3

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
This seems hardly any different to most of the previous Final Fantasies being available to download from the Playstation Network Store. Which isn't a big deal right? The spirit there is to make the classic games easily available for a modest price.

I guess if it's shined up a touch, it might be more expensive than the other FF's. It's not like they'll put in a bunch of additional content and sell it like a new title, which could definetly bother some fans.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Great job, Square. Once again you prove yourself to moving not just in a move to match, but overtake EA in terms of most callous customer rations. 13 was a failure and you gave it not one, not two, but THREE sequel before you even sold the first copy, 14 was an utter disaster that your layers hated, your seers count run, and ended up paying out money hand over fist just to keep from being sued. And now you decide to gift the WORLD with a remake that no one asked for or made any indication they wanted.

Square-enix: highest contender for worst game developer ever.

Captcha: ecelli ward. I remember when FF games had Ward...

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Hooray, now I have one less game to worry about when my PS2 inevitably dies.

I'm not sure where all this 'worst title in the series' stuff comes from.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284110 9.1/10
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x 8.8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Final-Fantasy-X-PS2/dp/B00005TT05/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316015438&sr=8-2 4.5-ish stars
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0 9.3

I don't get why people praised when they made HD remakes of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, but hate when one of the most popular PS2 titles get rereleased.

And to people complaining about not getting a VII or other pre-PS2 era FF remade instead, they've already released VII, VIII and IX on the PSN, that's effectively what they're doing here, only putting it on a disc, not some huge, fully done remake like many people want for VII. Infact considering that every numbered title before X has had a port/rerelease this is entirely unsurprising and I for one welcome it.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
megs1120 said:
Inkidu said:
Swing and a miss!

I have a mental image of Japanese business men in suits huddled around a boardroom table snickering.
Pretty sure they're remaking this one because it'd be a whole lot easier to just bump up the resolution and maybe improve the textures than to rebuild a game from scratch like they'd have to do with an SNES or PS game.
Exactly.

It's not a remake, just a re-release with improved textures.

Square might as well re-release FF XII and fix Vaan's stomach and clean up the audio since everything was so compressed.

Danny91

May 30, 2011
I doubt it's going to be much of a remake as such. Every company is releasing it's HD collection of popular PS2 games on PS3 again. Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, Sly Cooper, Metal gear Solid, Team Ico...theyre nice collections, but hardly remakes.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
I'm starting to get fed up with square -_-

If i'm going to play final fantasy 10 ill grab it from the shelf next to me right now, and stick it into my ps2. I just replayed it like 6 months ago and the graphics still hold up, and I enjoy it VERY much. Yet it absolutely does not need a remake. I can see just a vita port so we can play it on the go. Yet an HD release on the ps3, what a sad attempt for a cash grab.
Sorry but fuck you square enix. Your all a bunch of dicks! lol.
Remake a game that desperately needs it, such as ANY FUCKING PS1 FINAL FANTASY.

Excuse my language but I'm just getting very frustrated :/

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Remake 8 and 9 already! I mean, for crying out loud, they are more then willing to remake 10, one with one of the worst plots ive ever seen, but they wont remake 2 of the best final fantasy games out there?

BETRAYAL!

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
In a perfect world they'd remake XIII so it wasn't so fucking bad! But I guess we can only dream. But I can dig a prettier FFX release, I guess I'd be able to see how jibble physics work on Lulu.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
X and IX are the best of the series IMO, I didn't enjoy VII or VIII nearly as much, so I'm excited for this. I may dust off my recently underused PS3 just for this.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Char12 said:
Actually you are wrong, 13 was the best selling then 8. I am not against this as previously stated it will be good to have the potential to play numerous PS2 classics on my PS Vita/PS3
No, you're wrong.

FFVII
Wikipedia said:
Helped by a large promotional campaign in the months prior to its release, Final Fantasy VII became an immediate critical and commercial success. In the years following, it has continued to sell solidly?10 million copies worldwide as of May 2010
FFVIII
Wikipedia said:
Thirteen weeks after its release, Final Fantasy VIII had earned more than US$50 million in sales, making it the fastest-selling Final Fantasy title of all time until Final Fantasy XIII, a multi-platform release. The game has shipped 8.15 million copies worldwide as of March 31, 2003.
FFX
Wikipedia said:
Final Fantasy X was both a critical and commercial success. The game has sold 6.32 million units worldwide.
FFXIII
Wikipedia said:
Selling 1.7 million copies in Japan in 2009, Final Fantasy XIII became the fastest-selling title in the history of the series. As of May 2010, the game had sold 5.5 million copies worldwide.
Admittedly those figures are somewhat out of date, but unless FFXIII has sold well over a million units in the last year, FFX outsold it in overall historical figures. And FFVII has blown it away. I am surprised that FFVIII did that well, but that's okay, I'm cool with being wrong occasionally.

So it's more like 7, then 8, then 10, then 13.

And since 13 is getting a direct sequel in 13-2 right now, and both 7 and 8 would require big changes to re-release, 10 is the obvious pick for a remake if you're looking to be cheap and still sell a bajillion units.
speaking of 13 2, i heard that there already talking about 13 3