Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Well I am kinda excited. I enjoyed FFX when I played it 7ish years ago, so it would be nice to try it again looking all shiny. But I would much rather a full remake than a HD one, and if they're bothering to go to that much effort, it would puzzle me as to why they wouldn't do VII like the fans seem to want. Ah well, I can dream that they'll get to Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3 one day.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA

That's really all I have to say.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
I'm split in two about how to feel about this news.
The inner-child in me is excited remembering all of the fun I had with the original, the incredible story, heart breaking ending (that wasn't ruined because X-2 never happened!!) and the countless hours I spent playing blitz ball. And it also had the most accessable and streamlined yet somehow still incredibly deep turn based combat system ever.

However the now slightly older cynical guy in me can't help but thinking that its still a good game with very decent graphics for a 10 year old game and isn't the first game I'd choose out of their roster to have remade. To go even further he might even point out that Square Enix is so obsessed over graphics and lush environments that it can't remake any of the older FF games because they offered exploration which would require too much detail to remake effectively as opposed to creating incredibly tight linear environments such as X. So they've chosen X which doesn't need to be remade but its the only game they can remake and they are now desperate to re-release a well recieved title because they've run out of fresh ideas and are desperately looking for a way to breath life into this series.

Colonel Joson

Apr 20, 2008
Yay! This is Semi-good news, I very much enjoyed FF10! I wish I kept my PS3 now. *Imagines a HD battle with the Final Aeon*.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
To be honest the game lost me at.

A underwater soccer superstar, has to travel far and wide to stop his father, who has turned into a "devil whale", from destroying the world.

Kaisar

Feb 2, 2011
When I read the title, I immediately thought of the laugh scene. I was pleased that the vid was included in the OP.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Am I really so rare in that I still have my PS2 version and a machine that can play it? Although X is no where near the top of my list in the series, it was fun for it's time, but unless they add something worthwhile I can't see any reason to pay for a re-release. Technically it was fine and it still holds up. But X is one of those in the series that doesn't have a lot in the replay department.

But, with that said, I'd love to see more companies reprint older stuff in new formats. Those old machines aren't gonna last forever and it is doing stuff like this that gives newer players a chance to try stuff out.

Now go update FF7 damn it.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
They need to stop mucking about with this crap and make a god damn AAA Tactics game. The Job system alone is amazing for the customization of your characters. You can have your silly JRPG plot lines that make almost no sense and gender blurring characters that are 85% of the time extremely annoying but if its done in a Tactics game it doesn't matter because it will be epic.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Here is what I think about FFX.

I just broke the disc in half a few days ago and threw it in a microwave. All because I tried to auction it off at a convention and nobody would buy it. I got more entertainment in destroying it completely then i did playing the game.

There is only one good part in the game for me. And that is Auron. Every other character is annoying. I hated the sphere grid. I hated the story. The music even was uninspiring for me. The gameplay was broken if you knew how to do it. Blitzball was one of the worst things I have ever played. The voice acting was annoying. I hated the sheer linearity of the level design

I HATE that game. With a passion. So I am pissed that they decide to remake that instead of FF7.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Catie Caraco said:
sephiroth1991 said:
<Looks at User-Name> Some day Some day.
This. I just.. I don't even know what to say. *pats on the back* I hesitate to mention this, but back in the day I used Aeris screen names.

Please don't impale me with a 6 foot long katana. T_T
Your safe because you called yourself Aeris not Aerith.

Henrik Stavenes

Jul 21, 2010
Zetsubou-Sama said:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.
I disagree. And not because I didn't like FFX, it hade an enjoyable fighting-system, interesting leveling system and alot of other stuff (well, some of the script and voice-acting was terrible).
The problem is that FFX dosen't need a remake. Like, at all.
If I want to play it i can still pick take it out of the ol' shelf and put it into any PS2. Sure one could argue that I could do the same with FFVII, but in all honesty, FFVII has not aged as well as FFX.
FFVII's system would benefit more from changes as well. Haters gonna hate, but FFVII's system is not as great as some people want us to belive.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
No desire to ever play this again, it's one of the weaker installments in the series I don't get why they're bothering to rerelease it. And since they are bothering why not go multiplatform and pick up some sales from xbox gamers who I would think are less likely to have played the original.

The characters were almost across the board awful, blitzball was a massive waste of time, the story was mediocre. There was very little about this game that worked the first time round; ironically one positive it had was, for the time, good graphics.

I say this as someone who slogged through the bonus bosses.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Ugh. It sucks being in the minority that didn't really like X. It had good elements, but to me, it was a step in the wrong direction.

IX was a return to form that I so desperately enjoyed after the turn towards pseudo anime ridiculousness that VIII was going for. Little did I realize, that's actually where they were taking the series from that game forward. In retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised -- what with them being a Japanese company and all.

X was pretty much the game that made me decide never to play another FF game.

So far the only indication that I may go back on that is a game that has no plans on coming out any time soon (Versus XIII).

PS: I'd rather see a remake of VI than VII, just for the record. I agree that there is not much to be gained from a VII remake, as much as I love it.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I like FFX, but the only way I'll get behind this remake 100% is if the voice actors redub the scenes and stuff.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Maybe this time they'll fix the Horrid writing, Character design(Exept Lulu), Charactersation, Story, and Final boss

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I think ima have to get a ps3 for it, or become a programming master and code ana emulator, decisions decisions...

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I can't believe they would bother remaking FF:X in the traditional sense. I think this will be mostly a pixel update and some sharpening with some new stuff tacked on. There's just no reason to put a lot of time remaking it, it was just last generation and the game still holds up fine graphics wise. Why would you completely rebuild this when it still looks fine on the PS2?

No reason to remake this when there's so many good FF games on the PS1 and SNES that actually need the proper remake treatment.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
CriticKitten said:
and while some of the cast was godawful (Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, and Jailbait in particular),
This is hilarious.

CriticKitten said:
this is the game that features Auron, which is arguably my favorite the best FF character of all time
This is truthiness, right here.