Square-Enix Isn't Sure Where to Take Final Fantasy

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Easy, They should have a final fantasy

IN OUTER SPACE!

...They haven't messed with outer space, have they?

Lady K

Apr 16, 2009
While I'm such a fail gamer I've never finished a final fantasy game, I like the idea of replayibility. Makes is less of a one time experience but something that has the chance to be different every time.

'Course keep the good stuff like interesting characters, good story and such. I like the idea of having a character driven story, but why not having big stuff happening in the background as well?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I lost track of how many times someone has marched into this thread and made the "final" fantasy joke or said that it needs to die.

In case you're not aware, each FF is distinctively different than the one that came before it. There are no ties to previous characters or worlds, with the common thread being the Summoned beasts and the appearance of iconic enemies/characters (moogles, cactuars, chocobos, and of course Cid).

You know what needs to die? Halo.

See, I can be petty and ill informed too.

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
Dear SquareEnix,

If the fans didn't like it, there's four things you can do:

1. Make another FF game and disregard the fans.
2. Stop making FF games after FFXIV.
3. Re-evaluate your FF team and take the fan criticism and make a good FF.
4. REMAKE FFVI PLEASE!

Yours truly,
Nossy

PS Stop dicking around with Final Fantasy VII. It was horrible and everything that came from that game was horrible.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I would say give Final Fantasy 7 a facelift. Other than that, well Final Fantasy has a great history. They should end on the decline instead of risking crashing into the ground.

Nick Angelici

Feb 14, 2010
Squilookle said:
Nick Angelici said:
Squilookle said:
Maybe it's time to actually live up to the title FINAL fantasy. Then make the game all over again under a different name. It's a JRPG. Nobody will notice...
I disagree, the reason the have gotten away with XIV final fantasys is that each game IS a different game, with different characters and different stories. so in turn they always can redeem themselves. Have you forgotten the transition from Final Fantasy VIII to final fantasy IX? IX was amazing, and VIII sucked, maybe its the same case, XIII will suck and XV will be the next revival.
They're all still branded as a 'Final' Fantasy, and with each new relese they prove themselves wrong...
*facepalm* either A: you don't understand the origin of the name, or B: you are trying to make me rant like a fool for a good laugh and thus finish with a your a fanboy comment, YES there are bad final fantasys, but again, they redeem themselves at points in the series. I don't know what goal you have for pointing out that which nobody has actually been able to make a legitament agruement, ever. but okay, I'm just gonna sigh and figurativly walk away.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
How about a consistant universe? Im a sucker for lore. The whole "same creatures, but different existance all together and none of the other games mattered" thing irks me.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Appearantly they do if they;re doing FF XIV.

But i would suggest to its grave. some things just need to die. If they want to do something relevant, just appease fan boys and do a revamp of FF VII and make it all nice and next generation-y?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm.. on the whole "resurrect 7" thing... am I the only one who watched Advent children and realized just how bad that would end up? Seriously... the only thing that could really come of revamping FF7 would either be. A: people bitching that they screwed up the lore, B: if they didnt try to incorp new elements into the game, people bitching that they didnt do enough with it, or offer anything new outside of graphics.

I mean really.. Advent children was a modest sucess. Crisis core was a flop, Dirge of Cerberus was a flop, And ive yet to find anyone whos even seen before crisis. Simple fact is, its nice to dream about.. but as soon as it becomes a reality you quickly realize that your nostalgic dreams are never going to exactly come to fruition.

The "kill the series" line is getting old too. We get it.. youd rather be teabagging people in Halo. Simple fact, like it or not, this franchise is a cash cow for Squeenix, and comparable to the most profitable games in the industry. Until that changes, which may not even be in our lifetime, it is never really going to be a "final" fantasy. And to explain it, so we dont keep hearing it..It has been suggested that the "Final" comes from Square being on the verge of bankruptcy and FF1 was they felt would likely be the last game they produced (roundabouts) because they had no illusions that it would be their salvation.

Seriously.. as a company, not even the franchise, but as a company what I would really love to see is for Squeenix to removed Walt Disneys nazi loving jack boot from their ass. Yes the company and franchise have been going downhill since 3-7, but It seems like they have kicked it into hyperdrive starting right about the time of X-2, and the abomination that was birthed there after in Kingdom hearts.

Ehh, just more opinions from an relevant individual.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Lareia said:
cornmancer said:
And to the man who said the west stagnates as well, yes we are. The entire industry is going through a stagnation phase, with some gems here and there. As Yahtzee said, we are beginning gamings puberty, and we're stuck right now between becoming adults and continuing to be children. That's why it all feels the same. We need some games to come along and make gamings balls drop.
I agree about the Mistwalker part but I don't understand what is meant by stagnating. The battle system? Turn based and not finger twitch based is good for some people, the fact that I want time to think and react does not mean that I want things easy. I like the thinking part about the battle and the chance to take my time. The storytelling then? Um. not sure how that can stagnate, it is just a question of different genres. The graphics then? Can't say that graphics haven't changed with the time.
I like turn-based combat but they're just needs to be some evolution in the genre.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
FFXII was a step in the right direction, I felt. The gameplay had the right mix of strategy and speed (if you played it the way I did; highest speed, gambits off lead character) and the setting was a nice blend of high-minded political subterfuge and classic FF fantasy nonsense. It helped that the presentation was fantastic across the board, making for a nice update to an aging formula (of which X was probably the pinnacle).

The only area XII fell short in (and, unfortunately, it's the keystone of the whole shebang) is that I didn't give two shits about any of the characters. So about the 20-hour mark, when the world was done being established and I'd grown jaded to the novelty...I lost interest and stopped playing.

Now XIII, on the other hand, has very few redeeming qualities. Setting aside the fantastic battle system (surprisingly, my favorite of any so far) the characters are wooden, the story is flat-out bad, and the writing is unabashedly awful; this level of emotional-exposition is the kind of thing I would have written in junior high.

("I'M SAD."
"I'M SAD THAT YOU'RE SAD."
"I'M SAD BECAUSE I MADE A PROMISE TO MY DEAD SISTER NEVER TO BE SAD."
"I BET YOUR DEAD SISTER WOULD WANT YOU TO BE SAD SOMETIMES."
"NOW I'M SAD THAT I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT OH NO A DRAGON!!!")

And at a basic design level, FFXIII is essentially a very pretty, very complicated version of River City Ransom. It's an insanely large step backwards for the series, and it's one of the the worst examples so far of the big-sword-wielding, belts-and-zippers-wearing cavalcade of emotionally unstable cardboard cut-outs that's invaded the Japanese gaming scene in recent years.

Honestly, I think Sakaguchi leaving SE was the worst thing that ever happened to them. The shit he's squeezed out at Mistwalker hasn't been much better, but there's just a heart and soul to his storytelling sensibility that it doesn't seem like SE has anymore--and when it does show up, you can instantly point it out (Kingdom Hearts 1) and when it's absent, you can feel it in your gut (everything else).

FFVI, VII, IX, X--these were all charming and grand in a way I don't think SE is even capable of anymore.

So for where to go from here? I'd say a huge in-house purge, a self-reflective monastic retreat, a white-washing of the bizarre aesthetic Nomura has tainted everything with, bring back Sakaguchi (or somebody like him) and try to make something good.

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
On character designs:

I think that they should design them similarly to how they were designed for Dissidia, where Amano makes the initial artwork, then Nomura translates the designs into a more "game-y" aesthetic. People don't seem to realize that Amano was as big a fan of flowery and effeminate men as anybody, and that Nomura refining it produces some of the best character designs of the series.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Short list:
-A world that slowly becomes more accessible.
-Chocobo forests that are not obscure and make it easier to transit.
-A guy named Cid.

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Take it back to the PSOne style, I want world maps and random encounters, and full team turn based control!

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
Ok I enjoyed Final Fantasy 13 to a point, but the combat does need a lot of work. I think they should allow you to control all three characters, make auto-attack just an attack, and allow you to pick what skills you want. Basically, go back to Final Fantasy 7, because I have always found turn based combat to be dull and boring. People always say that its all about planning and preparing your attacks...ya right all I have to do is auto attack or use my mages fire skill to win.