Square Enix "Preparing" Final Fantasy Versus XIII Announcement

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
When a game isn't released for 7 years it means it's probably going to be a bad game and the best case scenario is it's never released

Sep 14, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring. The only thing holding anticipation nowadays is the hope that it'll actually strive to be something good. The trailers actually looked really nice.

Regardless, an announcement for an announcement is stupid.
errr...what? for the most part, people loved kingdom hearts gameplay, it is definitely different from final fantasy, but by no means is it bad by any stretch. i have no idea where you're getting your information from on mass amounts of people thinking otherwise.

OT: excited for this, i loved the trailers when i saw them and definitely wanna see more on the atmosphere/world, it looked very interesting.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Folks, this isn't an announcement of an announcement. If you read the article carefully, you'll note that this simply Nomura answering an interview question with regards to when new information will come out about the game. I'm personally still looking forward to this. You can say it wouldn't be worth the wait, but if they had never revealed it until this year and said it was due out next year, but went on to say it's been in development for 8 years, would you still say it's not worth the wait?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
DTWolfwood said:
Lazy said:
So, they're announcing the upcoming announcement?
Seems to be a terrible terrible trend of this going around. I'll actually become less interested in something when they do this.
I know. Square Enix is the worst at this, though. I think they've actually announced more games than they've made or released recently. They announced Final Fantasy XIV before Final Fantasy XIII was even on store shelves.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Trishbot said:
DTWolfwood said:
Lazy said:
Seems to be a terrible terrible trend of this going around. I'll actually become less interested in something when they do this.
I know. Square Enix is the worst at this, though. I think they've actually announced more games than they've made or released recently. They announced Final Fantasy XIV before Final Fantasy XIII was even on store shelves.
FFXIV had been in production since nearly 2005 IIRC. It had been in development for a long time, so announcing it before XIII was on shelves is not a big deal.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Absolutionis said:
You and many others didn't enjoy FF13.
I and many others didn't enjoy Kingdom Hearts.
I feel like your use of the same words, namely "many others", to describe both games' dissenters GROSSLY misrepresents the reality of how the two games were actually received critically...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
cidbahamut said:
Trishbot said:
DTWolfwood said:
Lazy said:
FFXIV had been in production since nearly 2005 IIRC. It had been in development for a long time, so announcing it before XIII was on shelves is not a big deal.
Considering the game sucked so hard they had to redo the whole thing, and it's still not officially "relaunched", doesn't that mean the game STILL isn't done and they DID announce it way too early?

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Dr.Awkward said:
Hmm... It's either going to be "Final Fantasy 13 Versus is cancelled", or "Final Fantasy 13 is now Final Fantasy 15". Or, it could be that Final Fantasy 13 has become part of Final Fantasy 13-3.

Any takers?
I would probably just make it into 15 if I were them. Gives them more time to work on 16 for the PS4, plus whatever time and place versus is in looks completely from 13 anyway. Besides they're in money saving mode and would love a excuse not to spend money on another game.

Or the announcement is now FF 13 Versus is now *drumroll* FF13-4!!!

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Trishbot said:
cidbahamut said:
Trishbot said:
DTWolfwood said:
Lazy said:
Considering the game sucked so hard they had to redo the whole thing, and it's still not officially "relaunched", doesn't that mean the game STILL isn't done and they DID announce it way too early?
Nah, that just means it was an awful game.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
I just don't understand how its taken this long, who honestly thought XIII looked better then Versus and decided to concentrate more on that game. Not only that but XIII is considered a disappointment. Not only that! Square is trying to dig it in, begging people to love Lightning with 2 sequels. Take the hint she's a boring character, XIII is a failure and more on, Versus actually looks fair good.
As good as it looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be another Duke Nukem though.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well if its for the PS4 then I am going to miss that particular game. SE no longer holds the pull to make their games a system seller. At best its something to buy on sale sometimes.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
If this gets postponed to the next generation I'll get angry.
Not because I want this game (I barely play JRPGS), but only because I consider it breach of contract.

I am not kidding, one of the reasons I decided to buy a PS3 was the announcement of The Last Guardian. I saw the highlights of Sony's E3 presentation (don't remember the year, and won't bother to check) with God Of War 3, The Last Guardian and this game (I think).
That was the moment that I thought "screw it, I am getting into this generation". Less than a month later I had bought an 80 Gigs FAT PS3.
200 hours of Demon's Souls later, I can't say that I regret buying it... But perhaps I would have waited another year. Perhaps I would have bought an Wii or Xbox 360. (nah, who am I kidding?!)
But that's beside the point.

To me, if they announce a game and then decide to change its platform it is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. Plain and simple.
Developers really should take more care before announcing things up, down and sideways. Some of us think it is serious.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
On the one hand, I wary.

On the other, Nomura has done fantastic work in the past so I've kinda come to trust him with what he does.

On the third(?) hand, HURRY THE FUCK UP WITH KINGDOM HEARTS 3!!11!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I just want this game to come out so people will stop complaining about it. It's kind of almost like how I wish they would just remake Final Fantasy VII so the fans won't have anything left to complain about.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Burchy22 said:
I just don't understand how its taken this long, who honestly thought XIII looked better then Versus and decided to concentrate more on that game. Not only that but XIII is considered a disappointment. Not only that! Square is trying to dig it in, begging people to love Lightning with 2 sequels. Take the hint she's a boring character, XIII is a failure and more on, Versus actually looks fair good.
As good as it looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be another Duke Nukem though.
The problem with Versus is that in the final stages of production Nomura looked at the game and decided he didn't like it's artistic direction. He then ordered that the game be rebuilt from the ground up with a new art style, and I mean everything. They basically shit-canned 85% of the work they'd done on the game up to that point and started over. That Square even allowed this kind of bullshit to occur when the game was so close to release is a testament to the financial predicament they find themselves in now.

That it's Nomura being tied up on Versus which has stalled the entire KH franchise, outside of the handheld games fans wish they'd just put on a fucking console, has only made it worse.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they re-branded this FF15 or something else without the 13 on the end. E3 seems to be the perfect time for it. And its been 2 years since Square Enix released a trailer or anything relevant for this game. I'm still waiting for it, not as much as I was previously of course, but if the game looks anything like that 6 minute trailer, it will be VERY pretty. Funny thing is, I'm still more excited for this than I am Lighting Returns.

Oh, I guess they could be making it for the PS4 instead, what with that new engine and all. Wouldn't like to get a PS4 just for Versus (though I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, nor do I plan to get it for just one title anyway), but we'll see what Square says, could still release it for PS3 if they want, or even both (unlikely, but hey, I like to dream).

An actual release date would be nice too, because once I have that, I can actually be all like, "Oh, so its going to take SE X amount of years after Versus' Y release date for Kingdom Hearts 3". Seriously, the amount of hold for that game because of this one title is such a killer sometimes, even if some good KH games have come out because of it. =(

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
didn't read the hole thing, just the title and the bolded text, so sorry in advance.

fucking really? they need to publicly announce that they need to get ready to make an announcement? I .... what .... announcing that theres an announcement coming is stupid as is, but this....

This just makes me want the AAA market to collapse more ....

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
This caught me completely unprepared. They should have made an announcement for this.