Square Enix "Preparing" Final Fantasy Versus XIII Announcement

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Absolutionis said:
...and games like SimCity 5, C&C5, and Diablo 3 were critically received very well.
Relevance?

Regardless, that comment you cherry-picked was in response to JokerboyJordan calling FF13 "shit".
*stares blankly*

Relevance?

OT: Uhyeah, I've been quite looking forward to this game. Hopefully it's long and arduous journey through limbo hasn't degraded it too much, as is wont to happen to vaporware from time to time.

KeyMaster45 said:
The problem with Versus is that in the final stages of production Nomura looked at the game and decided he didn't like it's artistic direction. He then ordered that the game be rebuilt from the ground up with a new art style, and I mean everything. They basically shit-canned 85% of the work they'd done on the game up to that point and started over. That Square even allowed this kind of bullshit to occur when the game was so close to release is a testament to the financial predicament they find themselves in now.
I'm often quick to give artistic minds a lot of leeway with this sort of tom-fuckery, but Nomura's tom-fuckery had better damn well have been worth it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
It'd be hilarious if because they spent all that time developing the game on current gen hardware, and now PS4 and what not is signalling the shift to the next gen, they make it a Wii U exclusive. But you know, that'll never happen.

Burchy22 said:
I just don't understand how its taken this long, who honestly thought XIII looked better then Versus and decided to concentrate more on that game. Not only that but XIII is considered a disappointment. Not only that! Square is trying to dig it in, begging people to love Lightning with 2 sequels. Take the hint she's a boring character, XIII is a failure and more on, Versus actually looks fair good.
As good as it looks I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be another Duke Nukem though.
Apparently 6 million people liked XIII enough to buy it, and 3 million people liked it enough to buy the sequel, so... (Also evidently Square-Enix has more reasonable sales goals for Final Fantasy).

Absolutionis said:
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring. The only thing holding anticipation nowadays is the hope that it'll actually strive to be something good. The trailers actually looked really nice.

Regardless, an announcement for an announcement is stupid.
Seeing as how Tetsuya Nomura is the guy in charge of both Versus XIII and the Kingdom Hearts series, I think people knew what to expect. The fact that it was going to be a Kingdom Hearts-style battle system with more realistic and HD visuals was a main selling point of the game.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
GAunderrated said:
mysecondlife said:
PS4 launch title would be a huge boost for Sony's console.

PS3 or PS4, I hope it'll get released at some point. It might be good.
Really?? I think lots of hardcore fans who arn't already hating SE will feel spurned that they were promised versus on the Ps3 and have to buy a whole new console for the game they have been waiting half a decade or more to play.
I'm sure a lot of people will feel that way. But I'm sure it will sell consoles regardless.

I do think it'll get PS3 release though. If I had to make a wild guess on what the announcement is about, its that PS4 version is coming as well.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring.
Wha? I thought that was the only reason people cared. You know, with kingdom hearts not having any proper releases that haven't been spinoff games on handhelds since 2006. That's the only reason I cared at least. Was there some sort of outcry that the mangled nonsense that allegedly forms a narrative wasn't complimented with subpar gameplay?

OT: probably just "ITS GONNA BE ON NEXT GEN" or something.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Why are people complaining about a game potentially being released that could be good? Long development time doesn't necessarily mean the end product is going to be bad.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Square Enix announcing an announcement *takes a drink* any ways lets see what they have to say.
Colt47 said:
Why are people complaining about a game potentially being released that could be good? Long development time doesn't necessarily mean the end product is going to be bad.
Yes but history has shown us that games in development hell for a long time tend to come out bad, but lets give the game a chance and see how it turns out.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Gabnabbit!
Release the damn game already, so you can START work on KH3.
-_-

orjustreleaseagoodfinalnfantasygamethatwouldbeokaytoo...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm still waiting for Square to announce their over-blown predictions for how it'll sell, since Tomb Raider and Hitman tanked, according to their magic 8-ball.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I remember having a conversation with a friend about what console, if any, to get: xbox 360 or ps3. After some debate I decided to get neither as, for me at least, good exclusives trump all other arguments and neither had any exclusives I cared about. There was however one exclusive that could've changed all that: ff versus 13.

Kinda funny looking back now...

Lucas Schoenemann

Feb 12, 2013
I don't believe you! Versus will never come! neither will KH3 or anything else the consumer actually cares to play! Square Enix is too busy making XIII sequels!! (I'm mostly just trying to be funny, but I really would like to play Versus, I just feel like they will scrap it before it actually hits stores. That's just me though)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm sure it's gonna be a release date. Versus XIII has been in development for the current generation for far too long to become a next-gen game. Especially since they'd have to completely rework it.

Anyway, I'm just glad there's going to be some news about it. One step closer to Kingdom Hearts III, far as I can see.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring. The only thing holding anticipation nowadays is the hope that it'll actually strive to be something good. The trailers actually looked really nice.

Regardless, an announcement for an announcement is stupid.
That is what made me care about this game and want to get it when it eventually and hopefully gets released. A Final Fantasy game with Kingdom Hearts style gameplay and combat sounds awesome. Especially if it is KH 2's combat system. If final fantasy XIII had the combat system of Kingdom Hearts I would have definitely played more than six hours of it. The combat system in FF XIII ruined the game for me.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Mrkillhappy said:
Square Enix announcing an announcement *takes a drink* any ways lets see what they have to say.
Colt47 said:
Yes but history has shown us that games in development hell for a long time tend to come out bad, but lets give the game a chance and see how it turns out.
Yeah, but the reasons for the long development time differ in the case of Square Enix than the "lost in Limbo" that was Duke Nukem Forever. The problem with SE is that they want to make a completely new game engine ever generation, so if a game doesn't make it for one gen, I can only imagine that means starting over with another engine. In fact, outside of the FFXIV flop debacle, I'm fairly certain they decided to switch game engines at some point and that is why it got delayed so much.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Quite honestly, I no longer care about this game. I wish they'd just cancel it and begin working on Kingdom Hearts III. It's a shame, because I really was interested in this game at first, but after so long a wait, my interest in it has completely waned.

Amnesiac Pigeon

Jul 14, 2010
Close to the beginning of this console generation I was looking forward to three games:

The Last Guardian
Half-Life 3
Verus 13

I feel like I lost this one :(

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Hey, we're one step closer to getting it all over with!

So we can move on to another Final Fantasy game not XIII!

Oh who am I kidding, why keep up with Square Enix anymore. They'll find some way to make the world of the next Final Fantasy less interesting than the current one.
Buccura said:
Does anyone really care THAT much about Final Fantasy anymore outside of it's most die hard fanbase? I can only speak for myself as a former Final Fantasy fan but I fell out of the series quite a while ago.
I abandoned Final Fantasy for Tales and Shin Megami Tensei a long time ago.

I haven't even bought Final Fantasy XIII-2 at all. I've had other games to bother wasting my money on than it. I've bought every single jRPG for the PlayStation 3 this generation, except XIII-2. Kind of sad, because I hear they made major improvements over XIII. But XIII left such a bad taste in my mouth that it wasn't worth coming back for more.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
Hmm... It's either going to be "Final Fantasy 13 Versus is cancelled", or "Final Fantasy 13 is now Final Fantasy 15". Or, it could be that Final Fantasy 13 has become part of Final Fantasy 13-3.

Any takers?
none at all, now sit your ass down and wait for Versus fucking XII, alright?

Considering it's going to be the best game in the damn series....

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
EstrogenicMuscle said:
I haven't even bought Final Fantasy XIII-2 at all. I've had other games to bother wasting my money on than it. I've bought every single jRPG for the PlayStation 3 this generation, except XIII-2. Kind of sad, because I hear they made major improvements over XIII. But XIII left such a bad taste in my mouth that it wasn't worth coming back for more.
Shame, XIII-2 is a fantastic fun and enjoyable game you can pick up for about 15 quid. If you're too stingy to waste a small amount of money on a game then I guess you're that much of a pessimist.