Square Enix "Preparing" Final Fantasy Versus XIII Announcement

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
didn't read the hole thing, just the title and the bolded text, so sorry in advance.

fucking really? they need to publicly announce that they need to get ready to make an announcement? I .... what .... announcing that theres an announcement coming is stupid as is, but this....

This just makes me want the AAA market to collapse more ....
It wasn't an announcement, it was an answer to a prying interview question.

OT: Why is this newsworthy? At all? So an announcement for Versus XIII is on the way because of a prying interview question, so what? We all know it's going to be bad. You know it. I know it. The only people who don't know it are Square Enix themselves.

Give the people what they want. *cough*Kingdom Hearts 3*cough* Who said that?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I look forward to hearing this announcement in two years time then :p

In all likelihood the announcement will probably be that due to the budget of developing a game for 7+ years Final Fantasy Versus XIII will need to sell 100 million copies to make a profit.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
This is either going to be them finally realising they have a new final fantasy game that can sell well and actually put forward a release date, announcing it is now FF15, saying it's on a new console (I predict shit-storm if this happens) or....they have cancelled it.

The amount of fucking about with this game is incredible: At-least Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever have the excuses that they changed hands between companies or so many companies working on it that it was held up by mismanagement. Versus.....seriously, what in the flying fuck has been keeping this game out of commission for so long?

KeyMaster45 said:
The problem with Versus is that in the final stages of production Nomura looked at the game and decided he didn't like it's artistic direction. He then ordered that the game be rebuilt from the ground up with a new art style, and I mean everything. They basically shit-canned 85% of the work they'd done on the game up to that point and started over. That Square even allowed this kind of bullshit to occur when the game was so close to release is a testament to the financial predicament they find themselves in now.

That it's Nomura being tied up on Versus which has stalled the entire KH franchise, outside of the handheld games fans wish they'd just put on a fucking console, has only made it worse.
.....If this is true, then i think some people at Square need to be sent to their rooms to think about what they've done. I mean, unless a game is so utterly broken or out of date that it needs to be changed, you don't just can it when it's so close to completion and start from Square one!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
PS4 launch title would be a huge boost for Sony's console.

PS3 or PS4, I hope it'll get released at some point. It might be good.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Please just be cancelled this thing looks so un-interesting to me. Bland cut out androgen characters once again fighting in leather belt costumes to instrumental J-Pop.

I just really hate their 3D character designs at the moment, they come from the uncanny valley of looking too flawless to be real. At least the anime-y ish character designs of yesteryear were so far removed from that, even if looking less realistic, you just kind of treated them the same way you treat cartoon characters.

If the combat style really is similar to Kingdom Hearts... then just make Kingdom Hearts 3, maybe END that mess of a story line so we can just leave it alone.

Jan 27, 2011
Square-Enix: HEAR YE HEAR YE, we have an announcement! We'd like to announce that we will announce our announcements better!

Me: CURSE YOU SQUARE ENIIIIX! I wanted a proper Kingdom hearts game on the PS3! But you've pushed FF13-Versus for so damn long that we won't get one on PS3 at all! CURSE YOU SQUARE ENIIIIIIIX!!! STOP ANNOUNCING ANNOUNCEMENTS AND GET IT DONE ALREADY!

...*cough* Yes, that was hyperbole.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was wondering a while back if they were gonna release it for the PS4 since they've said nothing other than "it's being made and not dead", so it looks like that will be the case.

Would be pretty neat if it was a launch title.
I say more ironic since it was supposed to be released around the early life of the PS3.

OT: All I know is that if this game doesn't do good then Square might be dead due to the fact that they've sunk so much time and money into this game. Heck this game is the reason why Kingdom Hearts 3 hasn't been made yet, it's because most of the KH team has been working on Versus XIII.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
I dread the possibility that 'uber-popular' Lightning will be in the game.
The weird thing is i've never met anyone who really likes her, my brother completed the game (the story anyways) and said that although she was fairly likable by the end she wasn't anything special. Watching him play I found Sazh likable and Fang was kind of a badass but everyone just jarred the MP out of me.

OT: I love FF9 (even if it did dun goof abit with that bloody ending) but I hate the visual design from 10 onwards... 11 was alright, they were in a desert so there was an excuse for them to be mostly naked. This just looks like an Advent Children retread, white hair and skin tight leather... like kinky pensioners.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Well, now that this is coming out, and Diablo 3 is already out, it is only a matter of time before we see the next Half-Life. We're just waiting on you Valve, Blizzard and Square are all here now, show us your stuff.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Infernai said:
KeyMaster45 said:
The problem with Versus is that in the final stages of production Nomura looked at the game and decided he didn't like it's artistic direction. He then ordered that the game be rebuilt from the ground up with a new art style, and I mean everything. They basically shit-canned 85% of the work they'd done on the game up to that point and started over. That Square even allowed this kind of bullshit to occur when the game was so close to release is a testament to the financial predicament they find themselves in now.

That it's Nomura being tied up on Versus which has stalled the entire KH franchise, outside of the handheld games fans wish they'd just put on a fucking console, has only made it worse.
.....If this is true, then i think some people at Square need to be sent to their rooms to think about what they've done. I mean, unless a game is so utterly broken or out of date that it needs to be changed, you don't just can it when it's so close to completion and start from Square one!
Its what Pixar did with Toy Story 2... just saying.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
I can't get excited for anything from square these days. FF6 was a long time ago. What ever happened to Vagrant Story?

:(

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Neronium said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was wondering a while back if they were gonna release it for the PS4 since they've said nothing other than "it's being made and not dead", so it looks like that will be the case.

Would be pretty neat if it was a launch title.
I say more ironic since it was supposed to be released around the early life of the PS3.

OT: All I know is that if this game doesn't do good then Square might be dead due to the fact that they've sunk so much time and money into this game. Heck this game is the reason why Kingdom Hearts 3 hasn't been made yet, it's because most of the KH team has been working on Versus XIII.
And FFXIII was supposed to be a launch title if I remember right.

Maybe they're making up for their past screw ups or something. I don't know.

All I know is once this comes out then SE will do other things and maybe learn not to have so many projects going on all at once.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
mysecondlife said:
PS4 launch title would be a huge boost for Sony's console.

PS3 or PS4, I hope it'll get released at some point. It might be good.
Really?? I think lots of hardcore fans who arn't already hating SE will feel spurned that they were promised versus on the Ps3 and have to buy a whole new console for the game they have been waiting half a decade or more to play.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Innegativeion said:
Absolutionis said:
You and many others didn't enjoy FF13.
I and many others didn't enjoy Kingdom Hearts.
I feel like your use of the same words, namely "many others", to describe both games' dissenters GROSSLY misrepresents the reality of how the two games were actually received critically...
...and games like SimCity 5, C&C5, and Diablo 3 were critically received very well.

Regardless, that comment you cherry-picked was in response to JokerboyJordan calling FF13 "shit".

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Honestly, I just don't care about this game anymore. I still hope it gets released so fans can finally get some closure, although considering Final Fantasy's recent track record...

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I'm honestly surprised people still have high expectations for this title. Given how this game has been in development hell for so long and how Square's projects this generation haven't been as well received as they want, I just find it hard to believe that Versus will be any good at this point. I guess we should approach this with a "low expectations" mindset, just in case it doesn't live up to the hype.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
My Guess:

Nomura: "ARR: FF14 has been sucking up all the time and energy to the game so we couldn't do anything. Even though FF13 has gained two sequels, they could be easily developed because they were recycled material and the supplies were already there and it was cheap to make it. The sequels themselves serve to fund ARR: FF14, for it pushed back all new IP's a few years back".

All of Square's financial problems lies in FF14 and ARR: FF14. Let's remember what happened back with the Spirit's Within and how bad Square had it when that bombed too. FF14 is actually worse because now they have to remake the game all over and they are spending loads of money on it once again.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Wow, a lot of people aren't happy with Square-Enix...I'm personally excited for this and Lightning Returns. While the combat system left something to be desired, the linearity wasn't too bad (and freed up somewhat in XIII-2) and I enjoyed the lore and characters and such. Not my favorite FF game (That's either VIII, X or V) but I found it decent.

It been 7 years, wonder how much they've changed the ideas behind it?