Square Enix Says DRM Is Here To Stay

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I like how they state the goal of DRM is not to minimize piracy but to maximize profit.
Welcome to 10 years ago.

Apr 28, 2008
Someone should tell GoG and CD Projekt Red then. I bet they feel silly for having so much success selling DRM-free games.

WarpedLord said:
iseko said:
DRM doesn't work. Not a game out there that can't be pirated. A lot of the time the pirated games are easier to install then the legal ones. So....... How does DRM actually work in bringing in more money?
You sure about that? CD Projekt RED is known for it's "consumer friendly" stance on DRM, refusing to use it on games like The Witcher 2, which went on to be the most heavily-pirated game the year it came out.

While this doesn't solidly disprove your point, it could suggest that DRM does indeed slow down piracy.

...or it just proves that people who claim they only pirate software because of DRM are lying d-bags.

Actually, it wasn't the most heavily pirated game the year it came out. CD Project Red thought it was pirated 4.5 million times, but the most pirated game of 2011, the year Witcher 2 came out, was Crysis 2 at 3.9 million [http://kotaku.com/5872253/the-most-pirated-pc-xbox-360-and-wii-games-of-2011]. Witcher 2 didn't even make it into the top 5.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
How can you do this SquareEnix, right after saying you're going to refocus on JRPGs regaining some trust from your fans you say this.
I love you Squeenix please stop hurting yourself.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So we have a deal, you keep on SecuROMing, I'll keep not buying your games.
Deal? Deal.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Has DRM ever - EVER - prevented a game from being pirated?

In fact, aren't the most pirated games of all time those WITH DRM?

What does DRM truly accomplish, besides wasting developer resources, getting in the way of legitimate customers, and making fans angry?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Someone needs to tattoo that phrase onto every Ubisoft exec's forehead.
Or on their asses, where they're more likely to see it.

josemlopes said:
Andy Chalk said:
"So long as we're concerned about things like data privacy, account sharing and hacking, we'll need some form of DRM."
GOG has my info, does it need DRM? Its sounds a lot like bullshit to me, at least just launch the games on Steam if the industry is this paranoid.
Apparently, they think you're hacking, sharing your account and giving away your CC info.

BigTuk said:
DRM is here to say... it has always been with us.. so no surprise. doors have locks, cars have alarms, games have DRM buuut,... DRM is perfectly tolerable if it isn't intrusive or unreasonably restrictive.
A major difference is when a lock company goes out of business, I don't lose access to my house. And I don't go to jail for legally trying to access my house by calling a perfectly legal service like a locksmith if I get locked out for another reason. Hell, I've had the police help me get into my car when I accidentally locked my keys inside. Will they help me jailbreak my game should the company providing the DRM go under?

Seems unlikely.

iseko said:
DRM doesn't work. Not a game out there that can't be pirated. A lot of the time the pirated games are easier to install then the legal ones. So....... How does DRM actually work in bringing in more money?
I seriously would like to see more research into the impact of DRM. The same companies that tout it necessary to stop pirates seem to be the ones who then blame low sales of games on piracy.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
WarpedLord said:
...or it just proves that people who claim they only pirate software because of DRM are lying d-bags.
I don't see how a DRM-free game being heavily pirated proves that the people who claim to pirate software because of DRM are lying.

It's far more plausible that the people who claim to pirate because of DRM are a very small ideologically motivated activist community, that is dwarfed both the customer base and the pirate base.

For every anti-DRM pirate, there is probably a hundred who justify piracy by opposing IP laws themselves, or by believing that it's only bad when it's done to products that they could have otherwise afforded, or that there is no need to justify it.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
WarpedLord said:
iseko said:
You sure about that? CD Projekt RED is known for it's "consumer friendly" stance on DRM, refusing to use it on games like The Witcher 2, which went on to be the most heavily-pirated game the year it came out.

While this doesn't solidly disprove your point, it could suggest that DRM does indeed slow down piracy.

a pirated copy of a game should never be considered a potential sale lost, some people simply wouldnt have bought you game regardless

if you offered someone a lamborgini for free, they would likely accept it, that doesnt mean they would have OR could have bought the car otherwise

people pirate for different reasons, some dont know any better, some dont have the money to buy games, and some simply want their shit for free, you cant cnvert those people

plus according to a little experiment done by the football manager devs

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/14/football-manager-2013-pirated-by-over-10-million-people-claims-sports-interactive/

pirated copies accounted for around 176000, for a game that has sold around 1 million copies is not that bad, specially comparedto stuff like used games in the console market

i think as a game developer you will always lose soe sales, you just have to deal with it

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
WarpedLord said:
I do think this is true in at least some cases. Some people just want free shit.

DRM annoys me because I've yet to come across a solution that doesn't put a barrier between me and the game (even Steam, which prevented me from playing Shogun 2 for a long time by forcing me to download an additional 20GB after trying to install from disc). Still, the thing is it at least kind of works. Multiplayer typically doesn't work in cracked games because the service is usually tied to the DRM. And while it would be disingenuous to argue that the DRM is the reason why, the fact remains that Diablo 3, a game with online DRM that proved near-impossible to crack wound up selling many millions more than its contemporaries. I bet a lot of publishers look at it as proof of the DRM working, rather than Diablo being popular, and they may, at least, partially be right.

I'd rather we were without DRM but I can kinda see why publishers are reluctant. Hopefully GOG continues to be successful, especially with its AAA games, to show that DRM really isn't needed.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shinsei-J said:
How can you do this SquareEnix, right after saying you're going to refocus on JRPGs regaining some trust from your fans you say this.
I love you Squeenix please stop hurting yourself.
i think by DRM, they mean steam, which is acceptable for most people

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
WarpedLord said:
iseko said:

Fair enough. However I think the witcher II is not a great example. I think the best DRM a game can have is an intresting multiplayer. Look at starcraft, CoD, titanfall,... Those games get pirated but far less overall. Just a thought

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
You know, I'm not actually going to grill Squeenix for this, if only because they were honest about the issue (for once, a AAA publisher isn't spouting total bullshit) and that they recognize that they don't exist in some vacuum where consumers are just bleating goats saddlebagged with money.

I'm not uncaring; ideally we would live in a world where software piracy didn't exist, and they could sell games entirely on their merits.
But we don't and at least on that level, I can respect its inclusion, though I obtain no benefit from it as a consumer (save possibly as security for future game development).

I just hope they realize that there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Always Online for example, may seem like the gold standard future to aim for in the eyes of some producers, but ultimately it's just a fool's dream; one can only demand so many concessions in practical convenience from their customers before it implodes violently (*glares at SimCity 13'*)

By that, I mean that the market will NEVER be "ready" for Always Online; just as the world will never be "ready" for mandatory biological killswitches.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Really, I always thought the better way to deal with piracy was to do what Earthbound or Spyro did. Make the game accessible to everyone, but if it detected you playing a pirated copy, introduce bugs upon bugs to the game. And even if the fixed those bugs, new bugs took its place. Since piracy is all about shortening time and money, most people will eventually just buy the game.

However, I should acknowldge that at least the person being interviewed knows how ineffective DRM is and seems to be willing to find a better solution. A far much better person is one who will listen than one who will close his eyes and scream at dissent.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Feh. I guess at least he paid lip service to the idea that DRM shouldn't come between the player and the game. I'm not ideologically opposed to DRM (my Steam library attests to that), I just don't want it to get in my way.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Mr.Tea said:
MCerberus said:
So we have a deal, you keep on SecuROMing, I'll keep not buying your games.
Deal? Deal.
The Grim Ace said:
Okay Squeenix, if you insist, welcome to the boycott!
An Ceannaire said:
And now we have this steaming pile of horse manure about DRM being here to stay from Square Enix.........

Jesus, when did developers start to actively hate us? Like, I know the console manufacturers have loathed us for years, but when developers get in on the action, it really starts to worry me.
Why is everyone shitting on SquareEnix (the publisher, not the developer) for their DRM policies all of a sudden?? They have some of the best PC ports in the industry...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution,
Hitman: Absolution*,
Sleeping Dogs,
Tomb Raider 2013,
Thief 2014*

They release them all with Steamworks (one of the least intrusive forms of DRM) and they set the launch prices at $49.99.

*[small]Regardless of the direction chosen by these games, they were top-notch PC ports.[/small]
Partially because SecuROM. It's pretty bad.
But also partially because they had unrealistic expectations and blamed the audiences that bought millions of their games for the failures of the company that can be laid at the Japan side of things, effectively throwing everything good they had going under the bus in a futile attempt to trick themselves into believing that "all the bravest" was good for the company

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Why is everyone shitting on SquareEnix (the publisher, not the developer) for their DRM policies all of a sudden?? They have some of the best PC ports in the industry...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution,
Hitman: Absolution*,
Sleeping Dogs,
Tomb Raider 2013,
Thief 2014*

They release them all with Steamworks (one of the least intrusive forms of DRM) and they set the launch prices at $49.99.

*[small]Regardless of the direction chosen by these games, they were top-notch PC ports.[/small]
Well, the all of the sudden is because Squeenix opened their mouths about it in the first place. Also, those are some nice ports, Squeenix has a terrible track record of late when it comes to so very many things. As someone already mentioned, All the Bravest as well as charging $15 for arguably poor ports of old Squeenix games, its difficult to see a silver lining in said company suddenly saying DRM is here to stay, deal with it. Yes, Steam is great and non-intrusive but, as is the case with Ubisoft of late, this just means Squeenix can add its unnecessary layer of DRM on top of Steam. Having had Final Fantasy VII gifted to me on Steam, I can already tell you Squeenix is testing the waters with that. So, the shit piling continues

Sleekit said:
especially if you're wandering around a communal living space shouting "HAS ANYONE SEEN MY DONGLE ?!"...
"It's got a red tip, come on! Someone has had to have seen my dongle!" Confuse your neighbors, making your computing friends laugh.