Square Enix Says DRM Is Here To Stay

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
One successful game convinces Square Enix that JRPGs are actually still popular; scores of games (e.g. Spore, anything Ubisoft) mangled by DRM and still pirated to hell aren't enough evidence DRM doesn't work well?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Trishbot said:
Has DRM ever - EVER - prevented a game from being pirated?

In fact, aren't the most pirated games of all time those WITH DRM?

What does DRM truly accomplish, besides wasting developer resources, getting in the way of legitimate customers, and making fans angry?
i know for a fact steam has stopped some people from pirating, but not because of the DRM, as far as i know steamworks can be relatively easy circunvented, i think there are even some no-steam patches for legit copies of games. no steam has stopped people from pirating by providing a GOOD SERVICE, crazy huh? give your customers good value for their money

also im not supporting piracy in any way, just to be sure

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Mr.Tea said:
MCerberus said:
So we have a deal, you keep on SecuROMing, I'll keep not buying your games.
Deal? Deal.
The Grim Ace said:
Okay Squeenix, if you insist, welcome to the boycott!
An Ceannaire said:
And now we have this steaming pile of horse manure about DRM being here to stay from Square Enix.........

Jesus, when did developers start to actively hate us? Like, I know the console manufacturers have loathed us for years, but when developers get in on the action, it really starts to worry me.
Why is everyone shitting on SquareEnix (the publisher, not the developer) for their DRM policies all of a sudden?? They have some of the best PC ports in the industry...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution,
Hitman: Absolution*,
Sleeping Dogs,
Tomb Raider 2013,
Thief 2014*

They release them all with Steamworks (one of the least intrusive forms of DRM) and they set the launch prices at $49.99.

*[small]Regardless of the direction chosen by these games, they were top-notch PC ports.[/small]
also they have some of the best discounts during steam sales, just cause 2 for 3 bucks, crazy stuff

now if only they hadnt jumped into the regional locking bandwagon, Valve shouldve never added that option for devs, how am i suposed to give my overseas friends gifts now?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
BigTuk said:
Suyre, we'd all love if everyone went GoG's no DRM route but the fact that GoG's entire library is up on the torrent sites... yeah... kinda proves the point. DRM can't stop determined pirates, but good DRM combined with sensible pricing makes it far more cost effective to simply buy the game than to spend the time pirating, patching, repatching, etc.
The only issue I have with your post is that pretty much everyone's game library is up on a torrent site. GoG is not alone in that. Locks keep honest people honest, but they don't stop break ins. DRM is the identical situation. The only DRM that works is what Blizzard does, and it's so damn faulty that I basically stopped playing their games. That has not broken their banks, obviously. But they just aren't for me because I got tired of getting accused by them of selling gold in WOW (despite not logging in for months in some cases) or having my account on hold for days at a time, even with their secondary encryption. Besides that, no DRM prevents piracy.

OT: People need to deal with this. Despite the problems, it's not going anywhere, as this article states. You can get mad and mash away at your keyboard but it's not going to change anything.

Also, as another poster pointed out, Squenix has not been ridiculous with their DRM practices and they tend to put out some of the best PC ports. I still have to laugh at their statements though. While their DRM practices aren't bad, sometimes I feel like they are extremely disconnected from their target audience. Look at Bravely Default VS Lightning Returns. One is significantly better than the other, and it's not the one that got the lions share of the budget.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

Personally, I'd love to see a widespread return of the code wheel [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_wheel]

Hey.....Why not the code wheel? It's just as effective as any other DRM out there. It's gotta be cheaper for publishers. Yes/no?

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
sleeky01 said:
Andy Chalk said:

Personally, I'd love to see a widespread return of the code wheel [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_wheel]

Hey.....Why not the code wheel? It's just as effective as any other DRM out there. It's gotta be cheaper for publishers. Yes/no?
No.

Not only is it not cheaper for publishers (because it's a physical product that has to be made, rather than just data in the Interwebs), but it's too easy to photocopy it and render it completely useless. And if your argument is "useless = just as effective as any other DRM haw haw", then sadly you're wrong. Diablo 3's always online DRM stinks and it's a pain to use it when your internet's having a strop, but it's worked. D3 has proved a nightmare for pirates.

Squenix are right. DRM isn't going anywhere any time soon, and the best we can hope for is something that causes as little trouble for legitimate users as possible. And as much as the position sucks, we probably have to give this guy some credit for saying it straight, rather than claiming that it's for our own good like several other BS peddling companies out there.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
xaszatm said:
Really, I always thought the better way to deal with piracy was to do what Earthbound or Spyro did. Make the game accessible to everyone, but if it detected you playing a pirated copy, introduce bugs upon bugs to the game. And even if the fixed those bugs, new bugs took its place. Since piracy is all about shortening time and money, most people will eventually just buy the game.
No, this is a horrible idea. The problems with DRM usually come in when there are false positives - if a certain set of conditions are not met, the software assumes you are a pirate and locks you out. This passive aggressive crap just means that users don't know if they have been tagged as a pirate and their game just gets ruined. They can't fix it because they don't know why their game is broken. The only reason to do this over normal lockout DRM is that there is very little bad PR because most people don't realize the DRM has backfired. It is an extremely anti-consumer practice meant to minimize bad PR at the expense of ignorant consumers.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
This I would love to see. Miss these soooooooo much. Still have mine from Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis :D

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
The thing I'm struck by is the fact that, in the console world, we've had DRM for years. Decades, even. Outside of a few CD-based consoles that came out before CD burning was a thing, most systems have disc-checks that ensure you aren't playing a illegitimate copy of the game. And before that, carts themselves proved their own sort of barrier to copying effectively. DRM has existed, does exist, and as that rep said, will continue to exist. That this is even considered a controversial statement now seems... contrived? An overreaction? Dunno.

I love GOG as much as the next DRM-free advocate, but I'm also under no illusions that such a model will work for everyone. I honestly miss the days of CD keys, I thought that was more than sufficient, and I still have physical ownership of my product. Steam has done a pretty good job minimizing the impact of DRM as well.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
You know, I'm not actually going to grill Squeenix for this, if only because they were honest about the issue (for once, a AAA publisher isn't spouting total bullshit) and that they recognize that they don't exist in some vacuum where consumers are just bleating goats saddlebagged with money.

I'm not uncaring; ideally we would live in a world where software piracy didn't exist, and they could sell games entirely on their merits.
But we don't and at least on that level, I can respect its inclusion, though I obtain no benefit from it as a consumer (save possibly as security for future game development).

I just hope they realize that there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Always Online for example, may seem like the gold standard future to aim for in the eyes of some producers, but ultimately it's just a fool's dream; one can only demand so many concessions in practical convenience from their customers before it implodes violently (*glares at SimCity 13'*)

By that, I mean that the market will NEVER be "ready" for Always Online; just as the world will never be "ready" for mandatory biological killswitches.
They already crossed a few lines.

- Chrono Trigger on mobile actually downloads certain parts of the game when you reach certain checkpoints. Your mobile game requires you to be tied to a connection.
- Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6 on mobile require an internet connection to start the games.
- I think Final Fantasy VII and VIII on PC require an internet connection to start the games, despite being on Steam.

That's just off the top of my head. I can't tell you how infuriating it is to be out and about with my tablet and not be able to start or continue a Square Enix game. Online social games have an excuse for needing a connection, SNES ports do not! Try to imagine the shitstorm if you couldn't play your DS version of Chrono Trigger without an internet connection.

Maybe you could reconsider grilling SE.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
- Chrono Trigger on mobile actually downloads certain parts of the game when you reach certain checkpoints. Your mobile game requires you to be tied to a connection.
- Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6 on mobile require an internet connection to start the games.
- I think Final Fantasy VII and VIII on PC require an internet connection to start the games, despite being on Steam.

That's just off the top of my head. I can't tell you how infuriating it is to be out and about with my tablet and not be able to start or continue a Square Enix game. Online social games have an excuse for needing a connection, SNES ports do not! Try to imagine the shitstorm if you couldn't play your DS version of Chrono Trigger without an internet connection.

Wow. That's...kinda fucking awful.
Well, now I'm especially glad I didn't buy any of their re-releases.

selce

Nov 27, 2007
I honestly dont have a problem with DRM, especially if it is done right. But when they make the game harder to play for the paying customer than for the person using a crack or a NO-CD patch, then that is when it is done incorrectly.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Nothing bad with DRM, as long as it isn't to intrusive and annoying. The problem is, those DRMs are easier to crack and therefore less effective.
As much as I hate Diablo III's online DRM, and all the bad taste it left in people's mouths, if you put the numbers on the table, I'm sure Blizzard would tell it was worth it.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
WeepingAngels said:

Wow. That's...kinda fucking awful.
Well, now I'm especially glad I didn't buy any of their re-releases.
It's not as bad as Weeping Angels makes it out to be.

With the mobile FF4, 5 and 6 games: Once you start the game with a connection you can start it 10 more times without having an internet connection. 10 times is a good amount. I tend to leave my current game of choice launched, so 10 launches would probably take several weeks to use up, and the chance of none of those launches having an available connection seems almost impossible. I also think that the game will detect if you have a connection while playing, do a quick authenticate, and reset the counter if you ever have a connection while the app is the focus window. I know there is virtually zero chance it would ever effect me. It could be very annoying to certain people with different usage habits and internet availability.

Final Fantasy VII and VIII PC require a one time internet connection to activate the first time it is started on that computer. Once you have activated it you can start it without an internet connection as many times as you want. Seeing as these games are only available by digital download I can't see how this can be a big problem.

At least, that is how the DRM is supposed to work. It might be bugged.

I don't have any information on the Chrono Trigger thing.

Klaw117

Apr 28, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
They already crossed a few lines.

I can't speak about Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV-VI, but Final Fantasy VII and VIII do NOT require an internet connection unless you're starting it for the first time or want to use cloud saves. I'm getting really tired of so many people not understanding this.

Honestly, Square Enix's statement isn't as bad as it seems. As long as they don't do anything that's more intrusive than Steam, it's perfectly acceptable.