StarCraft II: How Is It So Far?

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I'm planning on getting a new computer at the end of the year and although I've never been much of a RTS player, this looks like a good way to test it out.

Baghram

Nov 24, 2009
The mission difficulty curve is out of whack, but that's my only gripe with it so far. One mission, you can breeze through without having to do anything,(Yes Mining Laser mission YOU) and the other mission you are spending 50 minutes, proceeding painstakingly through the map. (Yes I try to do all the side-missions.)

Luckily, I walked into a random gaming store, saw the StarCraft sign and asked if I was out of line to ask for a regular SC2 copy, to which he replied; 'No I have a couple left, even two special editions and, ooh one Collectors Edition.' Guess which I took home. ^^

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Oddly enough NOT introducing a new unit every mission was my one great hope for the Starcraft II campaign. That got incredibly old in Starcraft and Warcraft as virtually every mission was "Here's some bunkers. Now drop some bunkers down here. You win!"

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
well, i picked up the collector edition of the game 23 hours ago and so far... it's pretty to look at it. three hours of phone calls to blizzard and i still cant play. they told me that they were working on the problem and that i should be able to play... someday

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
been playing for the campagin for about 5 hours now and really enjoying it, the ambient sound in and around the game is fantastic..love the jukebox ..post apocolyptic elvis tracks a classic

Cliffie

Nov 25, 2009
I'm really enjoying the campaign. What came as my biggest surprise was the enormous variety in mission design. Every single mission is different and have their own feel to it. The story is great too and I love the point-and-click style interaction between missions. All in all, very cool.

Apart from some issues with Battle.net I'm very happy with how StarCraft II turned out.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
After 21 hrs of gameplay I have finished the singleplayer campaign. I havn't even looked at multiplayer or custom games yet.

That jukebox in the Cantina MAKES alot of these scenes so awesome. This game just screams sci fi western. It's almost...almost like...

another nerd favorite that...went away long ago...

I can't..remember what it was called but there were...

Brown Coats?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
It is fantastic. I beat it already (though I have to start a new campaign in order to get the secret mission to work), but will continue to play through for different attack styles, different achievements, and so on.

Custom maps can come later, though I've already played one just to see what people have put out so far.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
After hours (and hours) of playing instant action, I thought that Blizzard had done a good job.
After seeing some CG cutscene goodness, I knew they had done a very good job.
After seeing the resource management that they put into the campaign itself, with mercenaries and upgrades, I no longer wear pants.
Hopefully the euphoria keeps going for a long, long time.

Blizzard, you did good.

And of course I just love it that almost two decades later Blizzard is still making Lost Vikings references... awesome.

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
So far I've really enjoyed the campaign, but I feel the inter-chapter interludes are almost gimmicky. They give some nice character exposition, but was it necessary to just make us click on something to hear them talk in a disjointed way. Even when we get a short cinematic, it just seems like Blizzard didn't put all too much effort into polishing it up.

On the other hand, the gameplay in missions is just as fun as Starcraft 1, which is definitely a good thing. Nothing really to complain about in that area.

Baghram

Nov 24, 2009
Well as I said earlier, I enjoy SC2 except for the varying difficulty curve between missions. And the final mission proves it again, I am so stuck on that one. Only mission in the game, I'm completely hating. (I excluded the air enemies.)But I just get over-run at like 90%, people suggest building bunkers, and bunkers I am building, but the Zerg tear them down within seconds. Even at 20%, any suggestions? (Without giving away spoilers to the readers of course.

(Yes I place, lot's of repairmen near the bunkers, 8 on each side..)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I bought it today. I didn't mean to, but I walked past a GAME and a few minutes later I realised I was holding a bag with a copy of it inside. Oh well...

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I'm enjoying the campaign immensely, It's much more fun and rewarding than the original Starcraft's (which was still fun, if a little more repetitive).

Jan 29, 2009
Deofuta said:
John Funk said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
John Funk said:
Anyword on new games from the Galaxy map editor? I know that it has been quite expanded from the one aviable at the beta phase, and with that people made everything from pacman clones, to first person shooter.
Custom games will come. Campaign time is now.
/agree dont bother with teh custom games for a bit, most are bland remakes from SC1.

Have you gotten to the 'toss missions yet John? It blew my mind.
*cracks fingers* well, I've got a map editor to abuse, better get to work...

Maybe a demon-cyborg zombie! With lazers for chest hair, and nuclear missiles for fingers! And perhaps a [small]huuuge thing that...[/small]
Baghram said:
Well as I said earlier, I enjoy SC2 except for the varying difficulty curve between missions. And the final mission proves it again, I am so stuck on that one. Only mission in the game, I'm completely hating. (I excluded the air enemies.)But I just get over-run at like 90%, people suggest building bunkers, and bunkers I am building, but the Zerg tear them down within seconds. Even at 20%, any suggestions? (Without giving away spoilers to the readers of course.

Siege. Tanks. lots of them.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
Baghram said:

well, I found that a largish fleet of Battlecruisers and Banshees worked really well (I took out the air enemies first)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Played first two missions and they're fantastic. I had to wait to play it...

Oh well, there's always a tomorrow!
Also, anyone else surprised with the manual? First official Blizzard game but I was expecting more. Instead, 4 Passes and a cool Notepad...