Stardock CEO Boycotts UPS Over Fox News

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Credge said:
Except Glenn Beck isn't known for his "inflammatory statements". He's known, at least now, because he's been hitting the nail on the head.
"Inflammatory statement" is pretty accurate. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Beck, it's pretty clearly he gets a lot of people really riled up, and this is really his main claim to fame. Perhaps a slightly more value-neutral word can be found, but "inflammatory" is still fairly accurate. Still, I generally think Thomas Paine wrote some great stuff and I would still be okay with labeling his rhetoric "inflammatory" because, hey, stirring the pot was his big claim to fame.

"Hitting the nail on the head"? That's editorializing. Beck is undoubtedly tapping into a set of fervently-held cultural beliefs, yes. But the stuff he says is also utter nonsense of the Morons With Signs caliber. Beck makes ridiculous claims and then dances away from them 15 seconds later under the guise of "asking the question". He plays so fast-and-loose with history that he might as well just be making it all up as he goes along.

-- Alex

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Oldmanwillow said:
THE ONLY FORM OF UN-BIAS INFORMATION IS DEBATE!! Because you have both sides of the argument available. So you can pick and choose the bits of information you like to form an educated opinion
There's nothing magical about debate that allows the truth to triumph. Especially when the bullshit's easier to spread.

This runs deeper than misinformation, anyway. The misinformation is built into the epistemic systems of the audience. Mere debate won't solve that.

-- Alex

misfit119

Dec 24, 2008
Pulling advertising from the station is generally not a bad idea if you feel someone is so hurtful, inflammatory or whatever that you'd like to see them off of the air. Basically it works like this. UPS thinks Glenn Beck is insane and needs to be taken off of the air. Stardock rushes to Glenn Becks rescue to protest UPS, Stardock looks like a bunch of neocon supporters thanks to the antics of Fox, Glenn Beck and their choosing to deride UPS for not wanting to work with a station that keeps a racist and inciter on the air.

Who cares really, it's not like Stardock is relevant? They've released one good game, one crappy game, one ultra crappy Steam ripoff and ran their mouths a whole lot. Boohoo. Next!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm gonna skip most of the topic and just comment on this as I hadn't seen it before.

hotacidbath said:
A boycott of a boycott? Over this guy?
Yeah, I guess I can understand that.
I have to admit, almost impressed by the use of something as inflammatory as faking animal cruelty just to get your message across, but actually listen to the words...

'Because of the size and number of bills that Obama has proposed *almost starts crying again*, he's forced the great American Public to THINK, and to GET INVOLVED.'

lol, how dare he make Americans have to think about how their country is run. Go back to sleep, America, Fox has it all under control, we'll wake you in 4 years when we need you to vote Palin in.

I also like the fact that he equates thinking to being boiled alive.

I first heard about Glenn Beck on a Charlie Brooker show, and (admittedly not balanced views), if was essentially a clip of him trying to speak about how Obama is ruining everything by trying to spend rich people's money on protecting the weaker members of society, and actually bursting into tears because - quote - 'I'm sorry, people, I just LOVE AMERICA TOO *sniff* MUCH!' Honestly, if he loves America that much how does he get thru a day? Surely he must be in tears 24/7? I do hope people aren't actually drawn in by that stuff, it's just comedy to us.

Over here in the UK about 10 years ago, we had 'The Day Today' - a satire on TV journalism, and we never thought for a moment it would look TAME compared to the real thing!

Surely even FOX must realise what this guy looks like and at least give him a comedy slot instead of a current affairs one?

I still think the BBC is one of the fairest, but was a little shaken by their interviewing the Prime Minister at a vital time in his leadership about internet rumours that he might be on medication for stress and depression. To me, following up internet rumours on the BBC is just very bad form, and shakes their ground in being a balanced broadcaster.

Surely if that's how it works, I can photo shop a comedy beard onto Obama and then ask him live on CNN if he's a blood relation to Bin Laden? (Godwin's Law updates ftw!)

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
how about... who the fuck cares? i mean really... some1 is gunna boycott stardock (a gaming company that actually has a few good games) cuz stardock is boycotting UPS (a MAILING company). how stupid one must be to do that? either way its doesnt MATTER! stardock is going to continue doing what its doing and so is UPS.geez... some ppl just need more things to do with there life...

also rasistism is the dumbest thing i could ever think of. we're all humans, we all bleed, colors? shit my gf was white but now she's brown cuz of a tan. judgeing ppl based on color is just plain ol' pants on head retarded :p

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I need to buy more games from Stardock, they rule now! Humm I also feel like the only person here who likes Beck.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Fuck it, let's Boycott the right wing.
I mean seriously, if a bunch of right wing racists can say a fairly democratic black man is a massive racist himself is just bloody ridiculous.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
My question is how do you "quietly" boycott something? If UPS suddenly pulled their ads from Fox News without so much as a word, wouldn't someone take notice, raise a hand, and ask, "Hey, what gives?"

If Stardock's objection was a matter of discretion, then why don't they "quietly" boycott UPS instead of announcing it on Facebook and a 'blog?

Sure, you want to be on the same wavelength as the people you work with wherever possible, but personal political beliefs have nothing to do with shipping games. It's a business partnership, it's based on the ability to collaborate professionally on professional matters.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Why the fuck would you abandon a courier because they wanted their adverts removed from a channel?
I really don't get the point of this decision.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Goddamn. Boycotts are getting old. Seems like almost everyone is boycotting something today... (I'm boycotting pay to play MMOs and MW2).
OT: Whatever. I can see where he would be mad for having someone boycott an entire channel because they wanted to jump on the I hate Fox bandwagon. But really, who cares? It's their opinions. You can't use economics to try and force your opinions on someone else. Otherwise you'd be as bad as UPS.

Ohma

Nov 26, 2007
Ha ha ha, wow, I guess I never paid Brad much attention outside of the games section of the Quarter to Three forums. He had a big tantrum in the politics forum there [http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=51600&page=14] (his posts start on page 15) and in a thread about this on Penny Arcade's forums [http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=102039&page=3] too.

Brad Wardell said:
Look, I don't want to be harsh here but I don't really care whether people buy our stuff or not. I own Stardock as in 100% of it. I'm the shareholder. As you can imagine, I don't need the company at this point financially. If people boycotted Stardock to the point where it became financially unprofitable to continue making products and services then that would be the end of it and I'd do something else instead.
If people want to boycott my company as a result, that?s certainly their right. Of course, I suspect they assume that if their boycott were successful and I had to lay people off that I wouldn?t do so based on the ideology of the employee.
I could care less about UPS or anyone else boycotting Glenn Beck. I do, however, don't like the slippery slope of companies trying to bully others on political grounds.

I don't care what UPS's politics are. I do care that they are trying to force their ideology on another.
His posts seem to be fast approaching Derek Smart levels of class. Too bad I wasn't planning to buy anything new from Stardock in the near future, then my not buying from them would mean something. -_-

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Horticulture said:
Looks like it's time to boycott Stardock.
looks like someone is retarded

mambodog said:
All I took from this is that Stardock supports racism. Even if I wasn't supposed to.
wow, more retards

Skrapt said:
Yeah I just lost a massive amount of respect for Stardock. I have friends with what would be considered conservative points of views in the US and respect them but what Fox news spouts is pure and utter BS and they should be slapped down already for having the tenacity to use the words 'fair' and 'balanced' on their website and news.

Besides, I'd say allowing someone to act as Glen Beck does is a good enough reason to boycott the entirety of Fox.
no, you dont have conservative friends that say that, shut up, i have monkey friends that hate monkey rights, this is truth.

have fun with that whole twisted reality thing though.

KillerMidget said:
I'm with UPS on this one. Stardock just made a big mistake.
LOL
maybe youve never used UPS, im not sure why he wasnt ALREADY with fedex, ups sucks way too hard to be a loss.

okay look, you guys are ALL morons, so its useless to continue quotes. so here we go:
on fox
conservatives: hannity, gutfeld, cavuto, fox and friends (three of them)
libertarian:beck, orielly, levy, shultz
liberal:colmes (quit tv to do fox news radio), vansustren, shep smith, geraldo

feel free to fill in more, i dont remember the rest

the only unbalance is in the opinion area, where there are are conservatives and libertarians outnumbering liberals, but when they say
"fair and balanced" they are talking about REPORTING, which is true, ive never seen them say "hannity, he has a fair and balanced OPINION"

edit: oh yea, and whats wrong with a right leaning news channel, when the left dominates media? it reminds me of this comic i saw, where everything else on tv is in bed with the left, but fox is a whore for being in bed with the right. lol.

edit 2:
new york times:
obamas Copenhagen trip was a ruse, he wasnt there for the olympics, it was a secret meeting with the general, LMAO

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
hcig said:
okay look, you guys are ALL morons,
Don't give a shit about the rest of your post. Who the hell thinks calling everyone else in the entire thread morons is a good way to get your point across?

HURR DURR. YOU GUYS ALL SUCK COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF BRATWURST. NOW LISTEN TO MY POLITICAL VIEWPOINT.

Irony!

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
bue519 said:
Sephiwind said:
I am a fan of Glenn Beck, al though I don't agree with everything he says, and I could understand if UPS pulled their advertisments from the show, but pulling them from then entire station is just stupid. Granted UPS sucks anyways, but I still think it's an idiotic decision.
How can you be a fan of Glenn Beck? Thats like being a fan of Goebbels, I mean c'mon Beck is about a racist as it gets. And I do enjoy how he claims to be under constant attack, with people attempting to silence him, when he's on the largest news network....
Nah, I think Limbaugh has Beck beat hands down in the bigotry department.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I agree with Stardock's CEO: I don't think UPS should have acted the way they did. Granted, I wouldn't boycott the company over it, unless I was looking for an excuse to break my contract with them.

And to those of you saying that Fox News is the biggest network, perhaps you should realize that it's basically the only conservative network, so the "conservative minority" will -all- go there, while the "liberal majority" will split themselves up between various other stations like CNN, CBS, the BBC..

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
hcig said:
looks like someone is retarded
While your wit is razor sharp, and your criticism biting, I'm afraid your grasp of certain literary techniques [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony] is somewhat lacking.