State Department Proposes "Trolling" Web-Based Islamic Extremists

nexus

May 30, 2012
So cute, everyone thinks they're an expert on counter-terrorism now. How quaint.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
I don't know how one would troll politely, the whole point of trolling is to incite a reaction. The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was this:

Now that's how you take down a website WITH FLAIR.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Micalas said:
Gilhelmi said:
Micalas said:
$5 says people will see "troll them" and not read the rest of the article. They will then go on to extremist websites and posts four million pictures of Muhammad's head inside of goatse.
Based on the responses you are correct.

Though, if they are recruiting real Muslims then no one will post a picture of Muhammad.
Yeah, but I'm not talking about those officially recruited. I'm talking about the vigilantes.

CAPTCHA: sour grapes. HAH!
Ahh yes, they might be a problem. I forgot about the real trolls.

Still vigilantes are stupider than everyone else because they are trolling people who might LITERALLY kill them. The Official people know the risk and protect against them (as far as one can anyway), but the vigilantes (shakes head sadly) will make things worse and seed more animosity and hatred.

FYI for Everyone: the Enemy, does have expert hackers who can track you down. Do not think you are dealing with normal governments, they are not allowed to track you because of your posts (with some exceptions). They might really track you down. For the love of your nation, your deity, your family, do not troll terrorists unless you have been properly trained too do so, and then only if you are willing too accept the risks.

Lord, we pray for the final victory, the one that brings peace. Give these brave souls the wisdom too speak truth and peace. Amen.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Can people get Trolling right please and stop attaching it to everything it is not?
So sick of reading the word trolling used in the wrong context.

McGuinty1 said:
I don't know how one would troll politely, the whole point of trolling is to incite a reaction. The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was this:

Now that's how you take down a website WITH FLAIR.
You, I like you.

CriticKitten said:
....hang on.

"politely trolling" ?

That's a complete oxymoron. Trolling is done with the express purpose of being a dick about it.

What you're describing in this article is NOT trolling.
You are also fucking awesome.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
This entire thing is almost too dumb for public consumption. I'm afraid people will read this and die from an overload of stupid.
LZeroK said:
I've heard stupid and moronic ideas in my time, guess what is this one?

Lowering to their level and giving them ammunition... Seems legit...
Whoa, what are all these words in the op under the title?... eh, they're probably not important, I'll just jump straight into posting my reply, that will definitely not make me look foolish.

XD
--------
@ the topic
This is actually a good idea, stick a few voices of reason in amoung what would usually be an entirely biased/one-sided community, and point out some of the flaws in their arguements. Might even help some of the 'already devoted' from stewing over things and whipping themselves into action.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
nexus said:
The implications of this are fucking profound, and this is only one thing they admit to the public.

Some people are just blissfully ignorant of what's going on with the interwebs these days. . .

snip
Nothing I don't agree with here... nice post guy. Just gunna leave this little guy right here...

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
but to undermine and demoralize them
terrorist: look there is a troll on the facebook shows that we are wrong. im so demoralized! i cant blowup my self anymore.

seriously? you make trolls and terrorists stop blowing up themselves?

are the minds(!)behind this ... thing mentally healthy?

but seriously, terrorists blow up themselves because of beliefs. and you must believe in something completely to do such thing and such believing cannot be undermined by some internet trolls. it will just fuel them. they see that they are being humiliated they beliefs are being mocked (which every extremist in the world cant bear) so they will be more determined to do terrorist acts hell even not extremists will be pissed about this.(talk about more pissed nuclear iran)

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Arguing with idiots is a very bad idea, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. While trolling is a step-up from the usual bombing runs, but I thought the US was looking to make trolling illegal.

But I'm also fairly certain that the U.S government has also tried trolling of it's own in foreign countries long before the internet was around.

Personally, the best thing to do is try to thrash it out with a proper, open debate free of hyperbole and government types. Show the arabic countries that the West isn't the corrupt idiocracy their leaders tell them it is - and conversely, the West can learn it's not all Mad Mullahs and suicide bombing over there.

I think common ground can be found and used as a foundation for further peace.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This is just stupid, but in a way that's so very very awesome I csn't help but love it.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Some_weirdGuy said:
Clearing the Eye said:
This entire thing is almost too dumb for public consumption. I'm afraid people will read this and die from an overload of stupid.
LZeroK said:
I've heard stupid and moronic ideas in my time, guess what is this one?

Lowering to their level and giving them ammunition... Seems legit...
Whoa, what are all these words in the op under the title?... eh, they're probably not important, I'll just jump straight into posting my reply, that will definitely not make me look foolish.

XD
--------
@ the topic
This is actually a good idea, stick a few voices of reason in amoung what would usually be an entirely biased/one-sided community, and point out some of the flaws in their arguements. Might even help some of the 'already devoted' from stewing over things and whipping themselves into action.
Congratulations on missing the extended conversation the OP and I had.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
Oh no I saw your conversation. Didn't make your initial comment look any less silly.

I assumed you simply didn't read the OP properly before posting that because the alternative was even more laugh-worthy:

'people using logic, reasoning and facts to point out the flaws in jihadist persuaders arguments in order to hopefully provide a voice of reason to potential supporters of terrorism? Well I think that's the dumbest idea ever, infact it's so dumb people are going to die of stupid just reading about this plan.'

XD
yeah man, it's definitely so EXTREMELY stupid to try and reason with people and point out where the jihadists are quoting out of context or twisting the religion as they see fit, (since we totally know muslims aren't ever just reasonable/impressionable people, some of whom get lead astray by the words and manipulation of others, they're like born terrorists, right?).

Judging from your other replies though you're not that ignorant. You made a rush comment and looked a little silly, it's no big deal, everyone's done it at least once before, think of it from the angle of: 'you managed to make someone smile', that counts as like your good deed for the day or something, so any other good deeds you've done today go straight towards karma :p

(which is lucky since solve media is predicting 'falling pianos' on the way)

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Some_weirdGuy said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Oh no I saw your conversation. Didn't make your initial comment look any less silly.

I assumed you simply didn't read the OP properly before posting that because the alternative was even more laugh-worthy:

'people using logic, reasoning and facts to point out the flaws in jihadist persuaders arguments in order to hopefully provide a voice of reason to potential supporters of terrorism? Well I think that's the dumbest idea ever, infact it's so dumb people are going to die of stupid just reading about this plan.'

XD
yeah man, it's definitely so EXTREMELY stupid to try and reason with people and point out where the jihadists are quoting out of context or twisting the religion as they see fit, (since we totally know muslims aren't ever just reasonable/impressionable people, some of whom get lead astray by the words and manipulation of others, they're like born terrorists, right?).

Judging from your other replies though you're not that ignorant. You made a rush comment and looked a little silly, it's no big deal, everyone's done it at least once before, think of it from the angle of: 'you managed to make someone smile', that counts as like your good deed for the day or something, so any other good deeds you've done today go straight towards karma :p

(which is lucky since solve media is predicting 'falling pianos' on the way)
If you spent half as much time being reasonable as you do attempting condescension and butchering your wording, you'd be a tour de force. You'd perhaps also see the futility of trying to convince madmen, religious zealots and the genuinely anti-social that they're wrong (in our opinion).

If you'd like to test out just how simple it is for strangers to nip such a problem in the butt, you could fly over to the war torn Middle East and have a chat with some disheveled youths yourself. Surely they have nothing but time to listen to the opinions of people currently living in foreign countries, not their burning, raped and miserable plot of land. That they are already so filled with hate and frustration, visiting a website dedicated to extremism and violence shouldn't be an issue, right?

While you're at it, Superman, maybe hop on down to the local ghetto and tell some brothers, sisters and children of gangbangers to ditch their family and friends. Again, they would certainly abandon their homes, culture and loved ones for you.

So please, continue on your current path. I'm sure they could use you at the U.N. Where individuals with advanced doctorates, experienced diplomats and the generally brilliant minded have failed, you and this legion of volunteers soon to be moderated, banned, ignored and fed into the hate machine, will doubtlessly succeed.

I can only wonder how profound your closing statement is, as it's impossible to decipher. "(which is lucky since solve media is predicting 'falling pianos' on the way)" A comment for the halls of brilliance to honour, no doubt.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
We shall troll on to the end. We shall troll in France, we shall troll on the seas and oceans, we shall troll with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall troll on the beaches, we shall troll on the landing grounds, we shall troll in the fields and in the streets, we shall troll in the hills; we shall never surrender,

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Allthingsspectacular said:
Why Islamic extremists specifically and not just extremists in general?
Because, as we all know, only Islamic extremists are dangerous. Christian and Jewish extremists are just expressing their beliefs.

OT: This is...uh, well, stupid and brilliant at the same time, I'd like to see how this turns out.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Allthingsspectacular said:
Why Islamic extremists specifically and not just extremists in general?
I'm assuming because the person who's driving the project is a Muslim. The emphasis seems to be on training young Muslims to remind their extremist-leaning peers what it is their religion actually says about murdering innocent civilians.

If you feel motivated to launch a similar project focusing on another type of extremists, I'm sure plenty of people will back you.

rhizhim said:
yes, pissing off people who willingly blow themselves and others up in your face is a really good idea....
I think the point is to make people rethink their extremist views (rather than leaving them to self-reinforce in their own forums) before they get to the point of actually signing up to a terrorist organisation.

There are various targeted campaigns going on in the UK to try to stop young Muslims becoming "radicalised" (acquiring extremist views), because it makes them vulnerable to being recruited by terrorist organisations (and ultimately end up involved in acts of terrorism). The campaigns I've heard of mostly involve talks at majority-Muslim schools and working with local Imams to confront individuals who are thought to be "at risk".

This internet campaign is a novel idea and it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
One day, trolling shall replace all standing armies... Okay probably not but it would be rather hilarious. Instead of a massive budget spent on tanks and fighters, it'll be used to buy Hotpockets and Doritos for the boys out there fighting for democracy.

Some fat guy in his mother's basement gets the Medal of Honor for, against all odds, defending his country from the evil trolling armies of North Korea. I think I should make a sketch out of this and throw it at youtube.