Steam and Linux Are Now an Item

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Finally! As soon as this gets released , it's on my Machine.

I've been trying (as a gamer) to get Windows off of my Machine and start using WINE and Debian/Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on Debian 3 , so there isn't that big a difference) . It didn't really work out though (it ran too slow due to WINE - my 1.73GHz Celeron M CPU was only as good as my friend's 1.0GHz Pentium), even if it ran pretty good (Flatout 2 -1280x800,min. Graphics settings -> 25fps) with the "C:\Windows" Folder copied from my Windows Vista installation .

EDIT:Since this seems to be a reocurring question : I use(d) GNU/Linux due to its speed benefits and lack of bugs (ALL problems I had while my machine was running Linux were due to me doing something I shouldn't have done.

EDIT2:Everything else (all Linux applications , MS Office) ran just as well and responsive on the old Toshiba laptop with Linux (1.73GHz Celeron M 430,1GB RAM,ATi GPU 64MB) as it did on the Compaq CQ40 with Windows 7(2x2.2GHz,4GB RAM,ATi HD3450 512MB).

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Jove said:
I'm confused, whats good about Linux again?

Oh, its because Windows is too mainstreamed isn't it? And using an OS to limit yourself with will stick it to the man right? Never mind I got it now.
If we run by that metaphor "the man" is already sticking people with a log and that's why people want to "stick it to the man". People don't always do things for no reason. Better try to figure out first the other side... which you did, you asked. So anyway, I'm not an expert, but an expert told me how Linux is more stable and uses hardware resources better, which would mean everything would work better on Linux. The problem is that it's not popular enough, (almost) everyone uses Windows, so (almost) everyone produces software for Windows only, which in turn puts off people from using Linux and so on in circles.

The interesting thing is that while Windows reigns supreme in the consumer end of the market [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems], Linux runs most servers [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Servers].

Oh, and "the log" would be "crappier OS" (but it has more software for it, that's true, but at a cost of lower performance and less potential).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
The March of the PC Gamers.
Tragically, this OS, will not survive.
bahahaha you so funny. As long as it is free, it will last

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
Linux vs Windows is always a heated discussion.
Which is better? Well define better.

In terms of application availability for the general consumer, not to mention games, Windows does take the lead.

Linux is better in the sense that it has been designed better, it is much less bloated from installation, the file system is more effective and so on. While many developers swear to linux, it hasn't gained any mainstream adoption on the desktop. This is mostly due to applications not being ported to it.

Will it be better for games? In theory yes. If someone (Microsoft) were to release a DirectX runtime for linux, then one could build a more stable, more streamlined gaming machine, since linux requires less services and such to run.

Windows does not use resources less effectively, it just has more components. You have all these services targeted at the corporate business model, you have a lot services targeting legacy software, DRM and security. All these things would eventually make it to linux should it get a broader adoption.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Aeshi said:
Of course being able to play games on Linux and having games to play on Linux are two different things. I'm willing to be Steams 'Linux' section will have the Source Games and nothing else.
And presumably all the games that have been in Humble Indie bundles. And those that have linux versions already available on Desura.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
For as much as I despise Steam and I don't use Linux yet (my server, however, will) I'm glad that a company is finally paying attention to a demographic that's so far gone unnoticed despite being a potentially strong source for sales.

Daedrin

Apr 17, 2010
Linux users have literally been trying to throw money at companies to take it. Valve is finally just grabbing it. I, for one, welcome our new FOSS overlords.

Seriously though, it won't be hard to port it to other *nixes once the ubuntu beta is up. I will soon enjoy the delicious combination of Fedora and Team Fortress 2. A hat for my hat simulator.
And valve shall receive buckets of my money. Buckets.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Damn you valve! I purposely side-by-side installed linux so I could have an OS that didn't have my steam library installed on it! Damn your conceited efforts to undermine my productivity!

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
Bit of a noob question I know but, what's a Linux?
This MIGHT seem a lot to read , but it answers your question and some questions that WILL come afterwards:

Linux is an Operating System that can run on multiple "platforms" (x86,x86-64,PowerPC,ARM(Mobile Phones,Tablets),sparc,...and many more) . Linux comes in a package which is called a "Distribution" or "distro" for short . Major distributions are Ubuntu , Debian , Gentoo , Red Hat , Fedora , SuSE & OpenSuSE , Android , ...

Linux makes better use of hardware because it is not as heavy on RAM and CPU usage as Windows .

If you use a Linux distro , you also get to choose what User Interface (UI) you want. In no particular order : GNOME , KDE (much like Windows) , tab window manager (TWM) , XFCE (very customisable) , X11 (the basic window manager , gives you a console in a window and lets you start applications from there) , text-only interface (console) . All User interfaces launch automatically on start of the OS , but can be started out of the text-only interface using their desktop manager names (gdm,kdm,twm,xfdm,x11) . On OS installation a Graphical UI is automatically installed (for Ubuntu - GNOME/Unity, Kubuntu - KDE , Xubuntu - XFCE)

Something very very major about Linux (at least for me) is : The file system (you can choose the FS -like NTFS or FAT32 on Windows - yourself) . You don't have , like , "C:\" , but you have a central filesystem called "/" located on one partition with mountpoints pointing to other partitions . This way , if a partition gets deleted/formatted , you don't lose data that has been stored on other partitions . Also , if you make separate partitions for your /home and /usr (Program Files+ProgramData+AppData) folders , you can reinstall your OS at any given time and not lose a thing .

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Microsoft clearly don't want people to game on Microsoft (Less money for them!) and Windows 8 is such a shitty locked down OS that I think Valve might be considering the possibility that Microsoft will try forcing us to move to Xbox at some point in the future and are testing the waters of Linux in case of that eventuality.

Yes I do think this tinfoil hat looks good on me.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Looking forward to this, I hate fiddling with WINE and much prefer using Kubuntu over Win7.

Downside is I've kept games off my Linux partition and used it for work, so if Steams going over I'm going be losing some productivity!

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Other than the aforementioned better usage of resources of Linux, I will never understand why people prefer it. I ran it on my laptop for a while, Unbuntu, it was pretty crappy frankly. And my PC is powerful to handle anything I throw it, without windows holding it back.. As are most people's gaming PCs..

I just.. Fail to see any upside of using it rather than windows.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Lukeje said:
Whoop! A Linux client! Wait... Ubuntu only? Surely further ports would move a lot faster if they open source their client and game-engines (presuming they're native too). Here's hoping that that's what they do...
Jove said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
That rant had nothing to do with a straw man. You might think it was obnoxious and stupid, but it never attempted to discredit or rebuke anything by setting up a false observation and then knocking it down. It certainly made a silly argument and one that is entirely false, but it was simply an opinion piece.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Elate said:
Other than the aforementioned better usage of resources of Linux, I will never understand why people prefer it. I ran it on my laptop for a while, Unbuntu, it was pretty crappy frankly. And my PC is powerful to handle anything I throw it, without windows holding it back.. As are most people's gaming PCs..

Same here,I can't see how linux is better than windows.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Ickorus said:
Microsoft clearly don't want people to game on Microsoft (Less money for them!) and Windows 8 is such a shitty locked down OS that I think Valve might be considering the possibility that Microsoft will try forcing us to move to Xbox at some point in the future and are testing the waters of Linux in case of that eventuality.

Yes I do think this tinfoil hat looks good on me.
I think you may be onto something here.

How does my hat look?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Jimi Bove said:
[...]

Semantics aside, graphic novels are called what they are to avoid the idiocy of people who assume all comics are stupid superhero things, just as WINE is called a compatibility layer to avoid the idiocy of people who assume all emulators recreate the machine/OS using multiple times the power/CPU they need. I'll agree that WINE is literally an emulator according to the dictionary, but the actual in-depth definition of "emulator" in the context of computing does not fit WINE.
I'm kind of with Jimi on this one.

While WINE doesn't introduce a whole lot, or intentionally bog you down, we're still tossing some libraries where they don't belong. And that, is going to take a notable amount of work to get going right. Compatibility layer with bells or whistles, It's still emulation.

You don't need a VM to emulate something.

Grey Carter, just under the quoted post got it right.

Fuck, I don't even use that OS. I'll stick with something I can work with, yanno...? So I don't have to spend 2 days just to install something, and then another day to make it produce a file I can actually give my friends for review. And then I actually work in this industry, so it's better to stick with the OS people use. I still think it's good that Steam is going in this direction though.

Apr 5, 2008
This is frikkin incredible. Valve are making shiz for Linux and Ubisoft and Rockstar can't even be arsed to make things for Windows. Hah.

Elate said:
It's free, it's open source allowing anyone to tamper with and alter the OS's underlying code, less bloated and more streamlined than Windows and oh yes, it's completely free.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's great news, but it doesn't mean that all games will be ported to Linux. I guess it'll be like with Mac and Steamplay (both Windows and Mac) games on Steam, which are a fraction of the entire library. The reason for that is that porting a game that's based on the Direct3D platform takes time and resources that developers will probably want invest in making new games.