Steam Christmas Sale

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
And this is the year I got a credit card. I didn't want to abuse it! ;_;

I'm waiting for Tropico 4 to go on sale even more than it has now. And payday. Payday is also nice.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is $5, for the first time in its life I believe. I've been looking at that but without a demo I haven't been willing to pay $10 or more. So I'll probably get that.

Skydrift, which is basically Mario Kart in planes (and lots of fun if the demo is accurate) is $6.69 so I'll get that too.

Waiting/hoping for Killing Floor, L4D (not 2 because I'm Australian and they fucked the violence out of our version) or Payday: The Heist to be in one of the daily deals, so I can get some co-op going with a friend.

Other than that, unless they go crazy with a big discount on a recent game, I don't think I'll be getting much. By now I pretty much own all of the good/interesting indie games, which are usually the best sale pickups.

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
i got one really lame block of text related to the sale that are probably not grammatically correct!

"You should have acted, they're already here! The Elder Scrolls told of their return! Their absence was merely a delay. Til' the time after Thanksgiving. When the sons of men would spend all their money. But no one wanted to believe, believe they even existed. And when the truth finally dawned, It dawns in fire!

In their tongue he is Christmas Sale,
STEAM CHRISTMAS SALE!"

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'll be getting Metro 2033 today since it's cheap, and after that I'll be waiting on Sonic Generations, AAAAaaaaAAAA! for the Awesome (I'd get the first as well but that coal lump looks much too hard for a newbie like me), and possibly a few other games as they pop up. I probably won't download any until later, though.

Oh, and the gift for the "check inventory" achievement was that I didn't get a freebie at first, but then it gave me a coupon for 50% off any Valve game during Q1 2012. Sweet!

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Matthew94 said:
EYE is one of the worst games I have ever played, and I've played a ton of games.

Don't get it, it's so bad. It's worse than a mod made by 12 year old who was hammered, on heroin, on weed with one arm missing.
This is why I didn't want to spend more than $5 on it. I've seen opinions like this, and review scores below 50. And then places like FiringSquad and Jim at Destructoid give it 80, and there are forum members who love it.

I guess I'll see how much I pick up in the Steam sale, and if I've got enough games already I'll skip it. But for $5, I won't be too mad if it winds up sucking. Wish they'd release a demo though.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
I'll be getting Metro 2033 today since it's cheap, and after that I'll be waiting on Sonic Generations, AAAAaaaaAAAA! for the Awesome (I'd get the first as well but that coal lump looks much too hard for a newbie like me), and possibly a few other games as they pop up. I probably won't download any until later, though.

Oh, and the gift for the "check inventory" achievement was that I didn't get a freebie at first, but then it gave me a coupon for 50% off any Valve game during Q1 2012. Sweet!
FYI Sonic Generations is $28.79 at Green Man Gaming [http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/adventure/sonic-generations/]. Probably better than Steam will get to for a while.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
endtherapture said:
Any tips for getting the best deals in this sale?
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
B-but what if theres a game on sale that wouldnt be on sale normally?
Wait until whatever it is you want goes on a Daily Deal. If it doesn't, then on the last day you'll still have it at a sale price most likely, just not an extra-sale sale price.

OT: I'm looking to pick up Saints Row: The Third, AssCreedRev, and Batman: Arkham City, assuming they're all on a deal at some point (I get the feeling AssCreed may not).

'Tis the season to be jolly (fucking poor).

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
The picture you posted, Mr OP, exactly describes their sales. Maybe it's a good thing my computer is down an out with a virus at the moment which will require a hard-drive wipe (no worries, there was nothing but games on there which can easily be reinstalled), or else I'd probably be buying Max Payne 1 & 2 at the moment.

I swear, the only games I had on Steam were The Orange Box and Garry's Mod. 6 games. I wasn't on the internet back then (had to take the computer to a friend's house to install them) and my computer sucked back then, so everything was fine. Then I got a computer upgrade and was now on the internet, and it all happened just in time for the end of the Halloween sale. Suddenly, 6 games became 12 games. Then the Autumn sale happened.

Excluding the free mods and Betas for TF2 and CS:S, I'm now up to 32 games. And now I just found out about the Holiday sale. VALVe is determined to bankrupt me, one deal at a time ... <:'-( What makes it worse is that I only have a 250GB hard drive (FFFFUUUU-), which means that a lot of the games I have I can't install. Woe is me.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but ...

Freaky Lou said:
I bought Fallout 1 for $4.99 today. That's all I dare...unless...wait...Amnesia, maybe...?
I've been trying to play Penumbra: Overture as of late, made by the same devs. If you decide to play a game made by them, just be sure that sleep isn't entirely necessary that night. It's very atmospheric ... and at times, downright scary.

The reason it is ... which is a lesson Hollywood has forgotten, sadly ... is that it's scarier if you, 1, don't know what to do and 2, can't see the monstrosity that will kill you if it sees you. You're even told NOT to look at them. That's what makes their games scary, in spite of the fact that, really, it's very low-budget and doesn't have great graphics. The lack of light and ambiance makes you forget all of that.

I would recommend Amnesia. I haven't played it yet, though, as I want to beat the three Penumbra games first. (Yes, I know that they aren't related, but I still want to. That way I can see how the developers progressed as they became more well known, I suppose.) But if it's anything like Penumbra, expect to spend some time cowering in a corner with scary music playing going, "OH GOD, I DON'T WANT TO MOVE, I DON'T WANT TO MOVE ... IS IT STILL THERE? WHAT IF IT SEES ME, OHGOD-OHGOD-OHGOD ..."

Also, if you buy it, make sure you also invest in some headphones and can play in a very dark room ... and, if possible, play on a good, big screen. The last one doesn't make too much of a difference (I had a 1600x900 LCD screen that my cat sprayed and ruined, and games just aren't the same on a regular 1024x768 screen, but if you don't go from one to the other, you won't notice), but the other two are invaluable to the whole experience.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
The Virgo said:
I've been trying to play Penumbra: Overture as of late, made by the same devs. If you decide to play a game made by them, just be sure that sleep isn't entirely necessary that night. It's very atmospheric ... and at times, downright scary.

The reason it is ... which is a lesson Hollywood has forgotten, sadly ... is that it's scarier if you, 1, don't know what to do and 2, can't see the monstrosity that will kill you if it sees you. You're even told NOT to look at them. That's what makes their games scary, in spite of the fact that, really, it's very low-budget and doesn't have great graphics. The lack of light and ambiance makes you forget all of that.

I would recommend Amnesia. I haven't played it yet, though, as I want to beat the three Penumbra games first. (Yes, I know that they aren't related, but I still want to. That way I can see how the developers progressed as they became more well known, I suppose.) But if it's anything like Penumbra, expect to spend some time cowering in a corner with scary music playing going, "OH GOD, I DON'T WANT TO MOVE, I DON'T WANT TO MOVE ... IS IT STILL THERE? WHAT IF IT SEES ME, OHGOD-OHGOD-OHGOD ..."
Actually, I have Penumbra: Overture and haven't beaten it yet either due to major reluctance to return after each session. That's why I'm weighing Amnesia.

However, I just went back to Steam and bought Portal 1 and 2 for $8.74. I hope I don't regret that, but I don't think I will.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
"mother of god" is the right expression for that grand prize. Seriously, how valuable would the Steam account who win this become? I bet the person who wins this will sell the account.
I already own some games which I've never even installed on Steam but owing every single game, I doubt I'd even play one third of them. Although, owning all games on Steam does sound nice.

Anyway, there are certain game which I wanted to buy but I thought I'd wait for the next big Steam sale and now all the games I want are cheaper, tomorrow I can go and buy them.
Steam is truly a money printing machine and it's even good for the environment, it's steam powered (sorry for that).

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth = £2.99

DAMMIT STEAM, I SAID I WANTED TO STOP SPENDING MONEY! STOP TEMPTING ME!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
HOLY SHIT JUST CAUSE 2 is $4.99 I ALREADY HAVE IT ON 360 BUT THERE'S A FIRST PERSON MOD I TRIED WITH THE DEMO THAT WAS AMAZING and what else is there HOLY SHIT AMNESIA IS $4.99 TOO BUT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT and... HOLY SHIT PORTAL 2 IS $7.49 but I already got that on its last sale... and... is Rock of Ages worth $5? I'm thinking about that. I won't get the bundle because I'm not really interested in the other games.

Anyway TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY, STEAM!

I hate myself, but I'm giving it all to you anyway!

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
First thing I saw on the list, first thing that I had on my wishlist: Portal 2. Now let's hope my computer can run it smoothly. As for the rest of the steam sale, I guess I'll have to wait till next year. Broke and unemployed D:

I'll just spam my brother with links to the steam sales hoping he gets my point and buys things of my wishlist for my xmas gift :D

Also, if I see Trine 2 on sale I'll seriously regret buying that Humble Bundle... Super Meat Boy wasn't such a great game >_<

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Picked up a Portal 2 Two-Pack for me and a buddy of mine all for a whopping $13.