Steam Coming to Linux Soon

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Gammayun said:
Waaghpowa said:
Holy shit yes! One step closer to me ditching Windows! Now I just need DirectX to be supported natively on Linux and I can tell Windblows to take a hike!
Its a nice thought, but directx will never be on anything else but microsoft products seeing as they develope it.
But the hope, as Tito mentioned, is that developers will start developing games for linux as well. Now that steam is going to be available for linux, that's 2 out of 3 OS's that support OpenGL. Even though Microsoft has the majority market share, there's more incentive to develop with OpenGL to cover as many platforms as possible since all 3 support it.

Here's to hoping.
If every source game is Linux supported, that is going to be a great start for anyone getting INTO PC gaming as that shaves off around $100 from any new PC build, not having to buy a (legit) microsoft operating system copy.

Hell, that may force microsoft to sell their OS at a lower price as it is no longer the "only OS in town for serious PC gaming". sorry, but linux support has fallent critically low in recent years, particularly with id software's lack of support.

To say you have:
-Team Fortress 2
-Left 4 Dead 2
-Portal series
-Half Life series

Is a HELL of a good start on any gaming PC. Adds to the current Linux roster considerably:
-QuakeLive
-Unreal Tournament 2004
-Nexuiz
-QuakeWorld
-Amnesia: Dark Descent
-Cube 2: Sauerbraten
(well, those are what I consider the highlights see a mosre comprehensive list here: http://www.penguspy.com/#/All/free_and_commercial/open_closed/sort=3/view=1/limit=0)

At the very least a new PC build can just have a Linux boot for the time-being and when the person has the money they can install a Microsoft boot. But it would have to have some serious offerings. You could honestly say you are a Linux gamer and not be missing out on too much.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Man, this is great news! I don't even really care if it's in 'Valve' time, as long as it's a rock solid client. I look forward to the day when I'll no longer have to use WINE, even if it is a remarkable little program.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
definitely agree with gabe Windows 8 SUCKS! From a technical point of view, it looks flimsy, unreliable; it doesn't look like it's a great release. it looks worse than the transition from XP to Vista-Looks better(not really) but probably has bugs. Not ever switching to windows 8. not if they pay ME.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
medv4380 said:
Maybe my PC gaming will finally get out of Wine and Minecraft
Do we know if it will support 64-bit binaries?
Well, it IS 2012... not 1996. They bloody well should.

As far as I know the only reason 32 bit is so common is because Microsoft operating systems have stuck to it for so long. WHY? I don't know. Anyway, almost every chipset made in the past half decade has been 64-bit compliant and on the system memory front we have most definitely hit that wall (4096 MiB of memory addresses) I'd be really surprised if 64 bit wasn't comprehensively supported.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
If this gathers enough steam I might swap to Linux permanently. Bad pun not intended.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Oh joy, another operating system to "support" by releasing about half their games and a buggy-as-hell client and then never touching it again. Seriously, I'm not holding out much hope that this will do anything worthwhile other than siphon off more employees who ought to be working on improving their existing products instead.
I'm pretty sure this won't be so bad after all. Nobody believed Steam would come to Mac OS X, but here we are 2 years later, with 245 games that run on OS X through Steam. Also, since all OS X games use OpenGL, all those games can be ported to Linux without much hassle. In addition, most of the Humble Indie Bundle and other indie games are released for Linux as well. And one final point, since they are hiring people specifically to do the work on the Linux port, it means they're not taking away any other developers from their work. I've used Steam on my gf's mac, and it worked fine, all updates are released for both platforms as well, how will it be any different with Linux?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
My initial reaction;

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! GET IN!

Soon I may never have to boot into windows to play games. Which is my only gripe with having linux as my main OS.

Fayathon said:
If this gathers enough steam I might swap to Linux permanently. Bad pun not intended.
I see what you did there.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
There is no end to the happiness this has brought me.
Oh sweet sweet glorious happiness.
As if I needed another reason to love Valve. Sure, they may have really long dev times for their projects, but when they deliver, they really do deliver.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Akisa said:
Wait Paul has moved on to install Linux on steam? THE MADNESS! Now I'm hungry for perogies for some reason. To the Microwave!
And now Graham will be able to run Steam (on himself).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Akisa said:
Wait Paul has moved on to install Linux on steam? THE MADNESS! Now I'm hungry for perogies for some reason. To the Microwave!
I have Linux installed on my toaster, I can't wait to play TF2 on that!

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Treblaine said:
medv4380 said:
Maybe my PC gaming will finally get out of Wine and Minecraft
Do we know if it will support 64-bit binaries?
Well, it IS 2012... not 1996. They bloody well should.

As far as I know the only reason 32 bit is so common is because Microsoft operating systems have stuck to it for so long. WHY? I don't know. Anyway, almost every chipset made in the past half decade has been 64-bit compliant and on the system memory front we have most definitely hit that wall (4096 MiB of memory addresses) I'd be really surprised if 64 bit wasn't comprehensively supported.
Actually there is another reason. A lot of programmers who use C and C++ use Pointer Arithmetic, and in a lot of code instead of using a 64bit int (long) they cast it into a 32 bit int. As long as they don't have over 2 gigs that works. If they have 4 gigs hopefully they used an Unsigned 32 bit int, and anything over 4 gigs will break. That's actually what caused Skyrim to crash to the desktop whenever it hit the 2 gig limit, and their fix was enabling up to 4 gigs with the unsigned int.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
living_brain said:
definitely agree with gabe Windows 8 SUCKS! From a technical point of view, it looks flimsy, unreliable; it doesn't look like it's a great release. it looks worse than the transition from XP to Vista-Looks better(not really) but probably has bugs. Not ever switching to windows 8. not if they pay ME.
"Then you will die" - The Emperor

People said that about Vista

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
I am so excited!!!! I been hoping that Valve would convert their games to linux, gaming was the one of the few reasons, I still have windows 7

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Aenir said:
Akisa said:
And now Graham will be able to run Steam (on himself).
I hate you so much now, it hurts when I laugh at the moment, and I been laughing for like forever.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
This. Is. Huge.

This possibly could lead to the biggest shift in PC gaming since devs mainly stopped supporting MacOS back in the mid to late 90's. Except this is expanding. This is evolution. The brilliant possibility here is that game developers could end up contributing to the operating system they are building games for because they have access to the source code to sort out issues they run into. A game industry on Linux could earn millions of dollars for the open source movement to continue expanding and improving products.

They only problem I see is OpenGL is rather far behind DirectX. It has been playing catchup for years now. Hopefully a larger market will help OpenGL improve faster.

This may cause me to switch operating systems in the long run.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
Now two thirds of the PC market can get robbed of all their cash :D
What would that last third be? OSX has had Steam for quite a while now.