Stellar Blade (formally Project Eve) - Korean Sci-Fi Bayonetta/Nier: Automata/Sekiro Edition

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

It's bad.

Movement is sluggish and awkward, combat unresponsive, defense timing unclear, platform is janky. It fails in everything it's trying to do except making the characters hot.
And this is exactly what I expected.

If the only advertising for your game is "look at these tits yo" it's probably a shit game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

It's bad.

Movement is sluggish and awkward, combat unresponsive, defense timing unclear, platform is janky. It fails in everything it's trying to do except making the characters hot.
I remember when I was younger, I learnt quite quickly to be very wary of anything advertised with hot women.
Occasionally they might surprise you, but usually if it's front and centre, that's all they've got. I treat it as negative advertising.
I'm having flashbacks to X-Blades. Which itself got a shitty remake ten years ago, it was somehow worse than the PS3 original.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

It's bad.

Ah, so it's a spirital successor to Tomb Raider.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

It's bad.

I remember when I was younger, I learnt quite quickly to be very wary of anything advertised with hot women.
Occasionally they might surprise you, but usually if it's front and centre, that's all they've got. I treat it as negative advertising.
And this is exactly what I expected.

If the only advertising for your game is "look at these tits yo" it's probably a shit game.
I checked the Space Battles Forums and the people that played the demo, like it fine or didn't have any issues with the combat. Something tells me this game is going to have split opinions upon release. I guess it's possible the blade isn't so stellar after all.

I'm having flashbacks to X-Blades. Which itself got a shitty remake ten years ago, it was somehow worse than the PS3 original.
Blades of Time. Some people actually find it better or at least decent enough compared to X-Blades.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think there's something about games with blade in the title.

Anyone remember Scarlet Blade? *Shudder*
I do actually. I remember it having some of the most absurd as fuck jiggle physics to go with titty designs that Dead or Alive and Soul Calibre would treat as embarrassing.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I checked the Space Battles Forums and the people that played the demo, like it fine or didn't have any issues with the combat. Something tells me this game is going to have split opinions upon release. I guess it's possible the blade isn't so stellar after all.

Blades of Time. Some people actually find it better or at least decent enough compared to X-Blades.

Every game no matter how janky will click with some people. And in this game's case people will like it because bewbs despite its flaws and thats fine. But i am critical for a reason and this is not a good video game.

Will it have an audience? Yes. Will that audience fap to cutscenes? Also yes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Every game no matter how janky will click with some people. And in this game's case people will like it because bewbs despite its flaws and thats fine. But i am critical for a reason and this is not a good video game.
Most people on Space Battles interested in Stellar Blade barely care about fan-service or are indifferent towards it. You got a few, but most of them are in it for either the world, setting, the Souls style gameplay, or another big budget South Korean after they have their fill with Lies of P.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The game is basically sekiro but with scifi themes so how much you liked sekiro will determine how much you like this. Sekiro is still my fav from game by a mile so I love this too. It even has a parry gauge where you get access to super moves by parrying a lot.

I see people comment on the speed, but they somehow seem ignorant of the fact that you can augment your speed through customization. If you want the game to feel faster, equip the speed 20% boost instead of complaining on twitter! XD

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I do actually. I remember it having some of the most absurd as fuck jiggle physics to go with titty designs that Dead or Alive and Soul Calibre would treat as embarrassing.
I did have to check I had the name right, and in googling it I found out it still had private servers up today. You can still play it if you want!

It did not give a fuck. It was designed to separate people from their money with the promise of their own plastic animu fuckdolls to play dress up with. Honestly it was years ahead of it's time! Look at steam now, it was a real trendsetter.

Remember Ninja Blade? The Ninja Gaiden clone by FromSoftware.

I do not, however it looks amazing. The sort of game I have no desire to play but I'm really glad it exists.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do not, however it looks amazing. The sort of game I have no desire to play but I'm really glad it exists.
Trust me, you're not missing much. It can be entertaining to an extent, but the game is not good, and Asua's Wrath does the QTEs so much better.

I am looking at Max and the YoVideoGames Stellar Blade Stream from last night, and they're like the demo at least. They do feel the character should be moving a quarter speed faster though. Otherwise, they like the game fine.

EDIT: They noticed that the character should be moving much faster, and don't bother with 4K/30FPS mode. Stick with Performance Mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Anyone remember Scarlet Blade? *Shudder*
I didn't even after looking up a trailer, but I briefly glanced through a review of the first few hours and the overall game itself, and... oh, oh no. I do remember this. I played it for maybe an hour, everything was a bit of a mess, and I didn't stick with it.
Looking at it now... what the actual hell are those character designs?! I'm not going to pretend I'm above a bit of skin showing on a deliberately curvy woman in a video game, but we're talking damn near sling bikini levels for your combat armor with this one. Even younger me saw that in game and thought "this is maybe a biiiiiit much." Hell, one of the NPC tutorial portraits just straight up has nip showing.

Thanks for reminding me this exists, I hate it

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Trust me, you're not missing much. It can be entertaining to an extent, but the game is not good, and Asua's Wrath does the QTEs so much better.

I am looking at Max and the YoVideoGames Stellar Blade Stream from last night, and they're like the demo at least. They do feel the character should be moving a quarter speed faster though. Otherwise, they like the game fine.

EDIT: They noticed that the character should be moving much faster, and don't bother with 4K/30FPS mode. Stick with Performance Mode.
Did they say the char should be moving faster while having the 20% speed boost equipped? Cause you can do that even in the demo, and in the full game it will go higher than 20%.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did they say the char should be moving faster while having the 20% speed boost equipped?
They didn't know about that until after while playing. Even then, they felt her default speed is too slow for them. Eve felt like Dark Souls 1 character, and move too slow for a person her size.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
They didn't know about that until after while playing. Even then, they felt her default speed is too slow for them. Eve felt like Dark Souls 1 character, and move too slow for a person her size.
Yeah it's meant to be very slow but that's like for the first hour or so of the game, it will speed up a bunch after that though, and you will feel the contrast and enjoy the sense of power.

I do think the DS1 comparison is apt though, a lot of initial impressions about it stem out of incomplete information the people have about the game, indicating the depth therein.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah it's meant to be very slow but that's like for the first hour or so of the game, it will speed up a bunch after that though, and you will feel the contrast and enjoy the sense of power.
They were told that possibly and none of them care, They think Eve should be a lot faster right of the gate. I am indifferent towards this, as I have no interest, but I can see where either side of the argument is coming from.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like, if somebody doesn't think a character moves fast enough, it's still a negative even if there's a way to compensate it, because presumably, said speed buff takes the place of an upgrade they'd rather use

Like, there's a difference between "the game feels good, but I like to go faster" and "the game is too slow, but there's an upgrade that gets it to acceptable"